News Another Drunk Banned for Life

ImperfectPixie

This isn't a booze problem, it is a lack of self-control problem. I've unintentionally been sloshed at Epcot and on purpose at SeaWorld (not hard when beer is bogo over the summer) and never was out of line. But people's sense of entitlement seem to flare when the inhibitions are down.
Setting foot on Disney property seems to exacerbate people's sense of entitlement, booze or not. ;)

Let me see if I can play nicely (not my strong suit):
1. Alcohol can exacerbate people's tendencies to act stupidly.
2. People are more than capable of being idiots without alcohol.
3. Responsible alcohol consumption is more the norm than otherwise at WDW. If everyone who consumed alcohol acted like a moron, the parks would be like a "Purge" movie.
4. If I'm in the Disney parks being loud and obnoxious, that's my default state and I'm to blame, not Jose Cuervo. It's just my annoying personality.
Can we all agree with the above?
ABSOLUTELY!

Kingoglow

We don't need to put the onus on the CM's or technology.
Alcohol is the problem. Ban it from the parks.

If guests absolutely cannot go a few days without drinking, then they should go get wasted in their hotel. And as an aside, they have a serious problem and should seek help.

ImperfectPixie

If guests absolutely cannot go a few days without drinking, then they should go get wasted in their hotel. And as an aside, they have a serious problem and should seek help.
I absolutely 100% guarantee you alcohol is NOT the problem. The problem is people's choice-making. Is it possible to drink too much unwittingly? Yes, but those instances are few and far between. Most people who get stumbling/vomiting/pass-out drunk know full well what they're doing long before they get to that point.

unmitigated disaster

I absolutely 100% guarantee you alcohol is NOT the problem. The problem is people's choice-making. Is it possible to drink too much unwittingly? Yes, but those instances are few and far between. Most people who get stumbling/vomiting/pass-out drunk know full well what they're doing long before they get to that point.
Exactly. And furthermore, they do not care. Getting that drunk is the point. Where, when and appropriateness are irrelevant.

As a side note, don't they ever worry about being robbed/assaulted?

ImperfectPixie

Exactly. And furthermore, they do not care. Getting that drunk is the point. Where, when and appropriateness are irrelevant.

As a side note, don't they ever worry about being robbed/assaulted?
Thinking back to my party-girl days (20+ years ago) it depends on where you are and the kind of people you're around. At Disney? Probably not. At a metal concert? Absolutely. At a bar with 400 other people watching your friend's band play? Nope. Wandering around the city and causing a ruckus? Yep.

jaklgreen

I don't drink often, maybe a couple of times a year. But I do go to the Hibachi Experience at Epcot during the F&WF where they serve you unlimited drinks. I can admit that I get a bit more then tipsy. But never to the point of what people are talking about with getting sick and crazy. I am actually a happy drunk and start talking just a little bit louder. LOL I am still aware of what I say and do and can remember my experience. Not everyone that has a bit more to drink gets belligerent and violent. Saying that alcohol is to blame is trying to take the onus off of the actual person. That is not right, the person doing the drinking should know better.

ImperfectPixie

I don't drink often, maybe a couple of times a year. But I do go to the Hibachi Experience at Epcot during the F&WF where they serve you unlimited drinks. I can admit that I get a bit more then tipsy. But never to the point of what people are talking about with getting sick and crazy. I am actually a happy drunk and start talking just a little bit louder. LOL I am still aware of what I say and do and can remember my experience. Not everyone that has a bit more to drink gets belligerent and violent. Saying that alcohol is to blame is trying to take the onus off of the actual person. That is not right, the person doing the drinking should know better.
I'm right there with you - silly, happy drunk - and still remember everything and am able to consider what I say before I say it (although it may take a little longer ;)).

scottnj1966

I’m sorry but just as a normal bar outside of Disney is responsible for making sure someone isn’t so drunk they cannot drive a car, Disney has to stop serving drunk guests more drinks no matter how much money they are making from them.

Yes the guy is responsible for his actions and serves what he gets but Disney has s walking a fine line serving to many drinks more alcohol. I’ve seen it at Epcot almost every time I go there now.

Yes having fun and few drinks is one thing but what’s been happening there is another.

I live in San Diego Sea World was owned and operated by Budweiser. They did serve alcohol mainly beer only in designated areas. Hell they even gave free samples out! I never ever saw one person that was the slightest bit drunk or out of line! Now another company owns and operates it. Still selling alcohol BUT now its not limited in any way. My last visit just a few weeks ago a young man was literately staggering drunk soaked pants. Two others later on at a show got into a verbal fight that was quickly escalating into a fist fight both drunk the fight was over seating arrangements. I saw drunks freely without question still being served! These are my observations. I will let you decide what you think is the difference!

TeriofTerror

Exactly how much more would you like to pay for your WDW trips if Disney no longer served alcohol? Because they'd have to find a way to make up for that very substantial loss of revenue.

starri42

I'm right there with you - silly, happy drunk - and still remember everything and am able to consider what I say before I say it (although it may take a little longer ;)).
When I went in January, I celebrated my first trip to Disney as a grown-up (bear in mind, I'm 40) with a margarita from Choza de Margarita, with no idea A) how good is was going to be and B) how STRONG. I was VERY happy while I was wandering around the rest of World Showcase. I ended up getting two lower-alcohol drinks during my wander, and I did go back much later in the day for another of those margaritas. Managed to behave myself, hit all my FastPasses, and retained enough executive functioning to realize that going on Mission: Space would have been a Very Bad idea.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
WDW is fine since they've increased alcohol sales. I've never seen guests out-of-line drunk other than loud college kids at Epcot who aren't horrible or violent but should bring the noise and profanities level down a bit.

For 99.99% of people buying alcohol at WDW, they just want to relax a bit on vacation. Nobody's out of control. If anything it makes the parks more friendly and social when everybody drinks some happy juice :D Not necessary but definitely doesn't hurt.

Last edited:

Lilofan

WDW is fine since they've increased alcohol sales. I've never seen guests out-of-line drunk other than loud college kids at Epcot who aren't horrible or violent but should bring the noise and profanities level down a bit.

For 99.99% of people buying alcohol at WDW, they just want to relax a bit on vacation. Nobody's out of control. If anything it makes the parks more friendly and social when everybody drinks some happy juice :D Not necessary but definitely doesn't hurt.
And Disney made Epcot food and wine festival a record 87 day long event ending Nov 23.

MAGICFLOP

Then come up with a maximum per guest for a particular time span, and scan magic bands whenever a drink is ordered. Once the maximum is reached, they can no longer order drinks. Give the limit an expiration, and when that time has passed, they can order drinks again.
But, that probably wont work either, here's why:
Story: about 10 years ago they had a beer tasting tent out side of America in EPCOT and my wife and I attended, each of was given a rack of 6 beers and I drank 12, why my wife took a small sip just to try it and I finished it. My point is, they could have someone else in their party who is not drinking , just get for them.

Back to my bar tender point, the bartender sees who is drinking, without regard to who is buying.

It will always come back to personal responsibility and in a free society is part of the equation..

Lilofan

Then come up with a maximum per guest for a particular time span, and scan magic bands whenever a drink is ordered. Once the maximum is reached, they can no longer order drinks. Give the limit an expiration, and when that time has passed, they can order drinks again.
Sounds good but if there is a beverage limit, Disney will come up with more inventive ways to raise prices in other areas to get ones money. And what's the breakdown beverage limit per guest?

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Yes, Epcot suffers but that's the worst case. MK, HS and AK are fine as far as guests not over-imbibing and we usually avoid Epcot Festival Thurs-Sat nite because it's too packed anyway, whether full of quiet monks or messed up frats because the lines are too long and it's stiflingly crowded. But if I was a first time visitor with young children who was caught unaware, I wouldn't be happy. On the whole, just the frat atmosphere needs to be better addressed.

We were there in March and witnessed the hormones/rowdiness. Loud cursing and subject matter from young drunks was inappropriate for a family destination, I get that. Epcot should attempt to persuade behavior better. Get creative. Put up funny Donald Duck posters in the bathrooms with Donald @$%#! and young children crying :D

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
And they should make coasters for all the bars around the world.
"Don't be that frat" with huey duey and louie acting like jerks.
Donald melting children's ears off with bad language.
Baby Mickey crying at offensively loud people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom