Rumor Another DHS Closure?

Goofyernmost

I thought sounds dangerous was an ip attraction, but a very vague one, with the ip being drew carey.
No, Sounds Dangerous was a direct spin off from the original Sound Show that was there and was staff intensive, audience participation. You were called up to handle a certain sound effect to go with a movie. I don't know if I remember exactly but it seems that maybe Steve Martin was in that one. Don't really remember for sure, but, I'm sure someone remembers and will correct me. I was called up once. It was fun, but, I admired Sounds Dangerous because I thought it was just the type of thing that only Disney would do and used to picture the Imagineer going before the board and explained the concept.

Imagineer: This is a movie that starts out setting up the scene and halfway through it, the picture goes black and the audience gets to finish the story by just hearing the sound effects and picturing the rest by what they hear.

Board: Blank stare, but, enough interest to think it would be worth a try.

It was extremely brave of them to think that the people in the audience would be clever enough to understand and appreciate what they were experiencing, but, they were not. They couldn't get past the idea that they couldn't see it. They didn't have the good fortune to be my age and spent a lot of my childhood listening to programs on the radio. Superman, Green Lantern, Lone Ranger and many other shows that required one to use their imaginations and create the sets in their minds. Sets that were much more detailed and exact then any filmed production can manage. Oh, well, at least I was able to appreciate it for what it was.

Last edited:

TwilightZone

No, Sounds Dangerous was a direct spin off from the original Sound Show that was there and was staff intensive, audience participation. You were called up to handle a certain sound affect to go with a movie. I don't know if I remember exactly but it seems that maybe Steve Martin was in that one. Don't really remember for sure, but, I'm sure someone remembers and will correct me. I was called up once. It was fun, but, I admired Sounds Dangerous because I thought it was just the type of thing that only Disney would do and used to picture the Imagineer going before the board and explained the concept.

Imagineer: This is a movie that starts out setting up the scene and halfway through it, the picture goes black and the audience gets to finish the story by just hearing the sound affects and picturing the rest by what they hear.

Board: Blank stare, but, enough interest to think it would be worth a try.

It was extremely brave of them to think that the people in the audience would be clever enough to understand and appreciate what they were experiencing, but, they were not. They couldn't get past the idea that they couldn't see it. They didn't have the good fortune to be my age and spent a lot of my childhood listening to programs on the radio. Superman, Green Lantern, Lone Ranger and many other shows that required one to use their imaginations and create the sets in their minds. Sets that were much more detailed and exact then any filmed production can manage. Oh, well, at least I was able to appreciate it for what it was.
Oh, yeah I understand what sounds dangerous was, and what it tried to accomplish. I think where it failed is that it was something ordinary, One can do the same thing at their home when they listen to an audio book, radio, youtube, podcast, etc. Plus it wasn't as interactive as the sound show, so for fans of the original, I bet it was a major disappointment for the successor to be not as interactive or as fun.

Goofyernmost

Oh, yeah I understand what sounds dangerous was, and what it tried to accomplish. I think where it failed is that it was something ordinary, One can do the same thing at their home when they listen to an audio book, radio, youtube, podcast, etc. Plus it wasn't as interactive as the sound show, so for fans of the original, I bet it was a major disappointment for the successor to be not as interactive or as fun.
You can now, but, audio books didn't exist, nor did YouTube or podcasts and radio had stopped being general entertainment and had become top 40 stations, music only. Personally having done both, I think that Sounds Dangerous was more fun, but, I know that obviously I was in a huge minority about that. I don't think that people even tried to understand what it was about and Disney did a absolutely awful job of informing. Even if it had been around that explanation would be still true and what would be the purpose of going to anything when all we have to do is sign onto YouTube.

Goofyernmost

No, it was a new format. Not a spin off.

The only thing they had in common was they dealt with audio.
That is what I was referring too, I know it didn't have anything else in common. It was the answer to the question of was it an IP, meaning a completely different ending purpose. But, it was the second incarnation of the Sound show with a different format, still an original.

Wouldn't you know it... the one time I didn't point out that everything is an IP, it would get picked off because of a word like spin off. It was a spin-off of the purpose of the attraction but the only carry over was the sound effect portion. That is what the whole show building was about from the initial opening. Sound Effects! Everything else was a visual effect.

NiarrNDisney

Just watched DSNY "Newscast" and thanks to this thread that gossip sharing twit is now sharing this as "Fact" siting a credible source here on WDWMagic though not mentioning a specific name.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just watched DSNY "Newscast" and thanks to this thread that gossip sharing twit is now sharing this as "Fact" siting a credible source here on WDWMagic though not mentioning a specific name.

No, he credits Visionary.

He unfortunately repeated a totally unconfirmed list of attractions most likely to be replaced/overlayed in DHS.

But, to his credit, he debunked something that has been constantly bothering me: The huge cut-out in the back of UoE isn't necessarily the opening for the for coaster to head to the gravity building. It's just the removal of the storage facility and construction entrance at this point. Everyone who's taken a picture of if it has been getting it wrong.

NiarrNDisney

He unfortunately repeated a totally unconfirmed list of attractions most likely to be replaced/overlayed in DHS.

But, to his credit, he debunked something that has been constantly bothering me: The huge cut-out in the back of UoE isn't necessarily the opening for the for coaster to head to the gravity building. It's just the removal of the storage facility and construction entrance at this point. Everyone who's taken a picture of if it has been getting it wrong.

I guess I overlooked his credit to Visionary.

As for his debunking the opening of UoE - 1 point for him.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

I guess I overlooked his credit to Visionary.

As for his debunking the opening of UoE - 1 point for him.

We said the back of UoE was covering up the maintainence bay hole a few months back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom