Another death at WDW

MrNonacho

Premium Member
The POTC death was back in February. I think they are counting the man who died after riding Dinosaur in April as the fourth "summer" death.

lesterd

Just got back from my Disney Trip.

I happened to be at Celebration Hospital's ER on Thursday afternoon on another incident and was there to witness the 12 year old's family when they were informed of the girl's death. It was extremely sad. My prayers go out to her family, especially her mother, who was not there at the time.

At first I wasn't sure if the girl had died at a Disney park, until I saw it on the news the following day. I wish I wasn't at the hospital that day. It was very sad.

goofy for fire

Woody, you are incorrect on your facts about being able to release a victim's identity. In all cases, not just minors, the new federal HIPAA Act prevents ANYONE from releasing information about a patient without their prior permission. As a paramedic I cannot even tell a family member which hospital their relative has been transported to without the patient telling me it is okay to do so. Initially I couldn't tell a police officer that was doing a report on an incident (i.e. stabbing, shooting) which hospital I was taking the patient to or their condition. This has since been changed. If I release anything about someone's history, condition, etc. without their approval I could, and will, be fired by my department and faces federal penalties including fines.

peter11435

goofy for fire said:
Woody, you are incorrect on your facts about being able to release a victim's identity. In all cases, not just minors, the new federal HIPAA Act prevents ANYONE from releasing information about a patient without their prior permission. As a paramedic I cannot even tell a family member which hospital their relative has been transported to without the patient telling me it is okay to do so. Initially I couldn't tell a police officer that was doing a report on an incident (i.e. stabbing, shooting) which hospital I was taking the patient to or their condition. This has since been changed. If I release anything about someone's history, condition, etc. without their approval I could, and will, be fired by my department and faces federal penalties including fines.
Yes but the police report that WILL include the victims name except in specific cases, must be released.

mrtoad

objr said:
And what a HOT summer it has been thus far...people should take the proper precautions to ensure they stay safe in the heat and crowds. This is sad news, NOT for Disney, but for the family of this girl.

Sorry for a stupid question, but we usually go in the winter but are going to WDW in 10 days :) .

Other than the major sunblock thing, what do we need to know. Like is water the best thing to drink or something like gatorade and if so is it available? How much should an adult be drinking, how much a small child of 4 or 5? Etc.

Sorry, I just want to be prepared.

Thanks,
Mike

sackbutt

tn1999 said:
I think people can see the difference between a death at Disney and a death caused by Disney.

It just really makes me mad when news organizations skew the story against Disney with comments like: "marking the third time in three months that a young person has suddenly fallen critically ill at the Walt Disney World theme park."

However, the media does seem to have trouble reporting the facts and letting us think for ourselves these days!

caparamedic

Great question....wish more guests would ask this..

mrtoad said:
Sorry for a stupid question, but we usually go in the winter but are going to WDW in 10 days :) .

Other than the major sunblock thing, what do we need to know. Like is water the best thing to drink or something like gatorade and if so is it available? How much should an adult be drinking, how much a small child of 4 or 5? Etc.

Sorry, I just want to be prepared.

Thanks,
Mike

OK...Wear sun block every day! It is good for you and your skin. Once you get burned, sunscreen will not protect your damaged skin. Wear it to prevent burning! Buy a fresh bottle because it does go bad over time! SPF 15 is fine. Avoid getting it in your eyes....some brands will really sting and ruin your day.

Water is always the best! Gatoraid is great too, but adds sugar to you diet. A 50:50 mix of water and Gatoraid is a nice compromise. Drink enough so you urinate at least once every two hours. If your urine is not clear....you are not drinking enough water. If you get thirsty, you are "behind the eight ball" and are already getting dehydrated. We take bottled water and refill the bottles during the day, although you really should dispose of bottles and not refilll them. The tap water at Disney is fine and FREE. Avoid or limit sodas, tea and coffee which will cause you to urinate too much and dehydrate you.

Have a safe trip! :wave:

tigsmom

caparamedic said:
OK...Wear sun block every day! It is good for you and your skin. If you get burned, sunscreen will not protect your damaged skin. Wear it to prevent burning!

Water is always the best! Gatoraid is great too, but adds sugar to you diet. A 50:50 mix of water and Gatoraid is a nice compromise. Drink enough so you urinate at least once every two hours. If your urine is not clear....you are not drinking enough water. If you get thirsty, you a behind the eight ball and are already getting dehydrated. We take bottled water and refill the bottles during the day, although you really should dispose of bottles and not refilll them. The tap water at Disney is fine and FREE.

I think the highlighted sentences are the most important.

A larger adult will dehydrate at a different rate than a small child. You HAVE TO make them drink whether they want to or not. You will also need to get out of the sun/heat/humidity at regular intervals.

Make use of the misters that are around the parks and even let the kids play in the fountains.

We usually go in the summer and try to hit the parks early, take a break at midday for lunch and a swim/rest and then head back out later. I know some people don't like to do this, but with kids we found this works best.

mrtoad

caparamedic said:
OK...Wear sun block every day! It is good for you and your skin. Once you get burned, sunscreen will not protect your damaged skin. Wear it to prevent burning! Buy a fresh bottle because it does go bad over time! SPF 15 is fine. Avoid getting it in your eyes....some brands will really sting and ruin your day.

Water is always the best! Gatoraid is great too, but adds sugar to you diet. A 50:50 mix of water and Gatoraid is a nice compromise. Drink enough so you urinate at least once every two hours. If your urine is not clear....you are not drinking enough water. If you get thirsty, you are "behind the eight ball" and are already getting dehydrated. We take bottled water and refill the bottles during the day, although you really should dispose of bottles and not refilll them. The tap water at Disney is fine and FREE. Avoid or limit sodas, tea and coffee which will cause you to urinate too much and dehydrate you.

Thanks. I just want to make sure we know what we are doing. My daughter is a little when it comes to getting her to drink so we will really have to stay on her. She likes to pretend she is drinking and then never finish her drink. She does it to me every morning in the car on the way to school.

Thanks again,
Mike

PhotoDave219

sackbutt said:
However, the media does seem to have trouble reporting the facts and letting us think for ourselves these days!

I believe most people have enough of a problem thinking for themselves in general. Blaming the media is simply scapegoating.

Hoever, i will reluctantly agree that most reporters are generally lazy as all get out.

PhotoDave219

caparamedic said:

Great advice. I cant tell you how many dehydrated guests i would see in the summer. People really dont take very good care of themselves while doing Disney parks.

Woody13

Fire Department Serving Disney May Scramble Calls

POSTED: 5:07 pm EDT August 8, 2005
UPDATED: 5:40 pm EDT August 8, 2005

<!--startindex-->LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- After a summer filled with tragedy at Disney World, Channel 9 has learned why it will soon be much more difficult to learn about accidents and deaths at the theme park.

<TABLE class=clkImgTbl cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=120 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=8 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

<CENTER>Typhoon Lagoon</CENTER>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

That's because the fire department that sends ambulances to Disney wants to scramble all their radio transmissions. That means the public probably wouldn't know when paramedics were called out to an incident.

The fire chief at Reedy Creek said the move is largely about protecting patients' private information. Disney watchers said it might be about protecting Disney from bad publicity.

From Mission: Space to Tower of Terror to Typhoon Lagoon, Disney has had a horrible story come out of each this summer. A four-year-old died at Epcot in June. A 16-year-old collapsed at MGM-Studios last month. A 12-year-old died at the Typhoon Lagoon water park last week.

<TABLE class=clkImgTbl cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=120 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=8 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

<CENTER>Tower of Terror</CENTER>

The public might not have heard much about the incident if a call for paramedics didn't go out over the scanner. Reporters and others monitor those transmissions. But soon, those scanners could go silent.

The Reedy Creek Fire Department plans to scramble the transmissions so only staff can hear about the emergencies. The fire chief said it would protect crews and secure patient information. The chief said Disney didn't play a role in the decision and a company spokeswoman said the same.

But Rick Foglesong, who wrote a book on the company, finds that hard to believe.

"I think it's reasonable to believe that the company was responsible for the decision to scramble those transmissions," Foglesong said.

<CENTER>Mission: Space</CENTER>

Reedy Creek is run by its property owners. Disney is, by far, the largest. Foglesong said the company has a history of being very controlling when it deals with accidents on their property and this may be another effort to control their image.

"They feel a strong stake in preserving their public image and, when it's threatened, the company will act in order to preserve that," Foglesong said.

The fire chief said they could begin scrambling sometimes in the next three weeks to the next three months. The fire chief said they've had the ability to scramble messages for five years, ever since they bought a new digital system for two million dollars.

Other agencies in Central Florida are moving towards digital transmissions. The city of Apopka already has them and does scramble some signals.<!--stopindex-->

mrtoad

I really have no issue if they are scrambled. Most of the time reporters will get in the way when something serious is happening. Not necessarily in a park but in general when it comes to emergencies.

Woody13 said:
Fire Department Serving Disney May Scramble Calls

POSTED: 5:07 pm EDT August 8, 2005
UPDATED: 5:40 pm EDT August 8, 2005

<!--startindex-->LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- After a summer filled with tragedy at Disney World, Channel 9 has learned why it will soon be much more difficult to learn about accidents and deaths at the theme park.

<CENTER>Typhoon Lagoon</CENTER>

That's because the fire department that sends ambulances to Disney wants to scramble all their radio transmissions. That means the public probably wouldn't know when paramedics were called out to an incident.

The fire chief at Reedy Creek said the move is largely about protecting patients' private information. Disney watchers said it might be about protecting Disney from bad publicity.

From Mission: Space to Tower of Terror to Typhoon Lagoon, Disney has had a horrible story come out of each this summer. A four-year-old died at Epcot in June. A 16-year-old collapsed at MGM-Studios last month. A 12-year-old died at the Typhoon Lagoon water park last week.

<CENTER>Tower of Terror</CENTER>

The public might not have heard much about the incident if a call for paramedics didn't go out over the scanner. Reporters and others monitor those transmissions. But soon, those scanners could go silent.

The Reedy Creek Fire Department plans to scramble the transmissions so only staff can hear about the emergencies. The fire chief said it would protect crews and secure patient information. The chief said Disney didn't play a role in the decision and a company spokeswoman said the same.

But Rick Foglesong, who wrote a book on the company, finds that hard to believe.

"I think it's reasonable to believe that the company was responsible for the decision to scramble those transmissions," Foglesong said.

<CENTER>Mission: Space</CENTER>

Reedy Creek is run by its property owners. Disney is, by far, the largest. Foglesong said the company has a history of being very controlling when it deals with accidents on their property and this may be another effort to control their image.

"They feel a strong stake in preserving their public image and, when it's threatened, the company will act in order to preserve that," Foglesong said.

The fire chief said they could begin scrambling sometimes in the next three weeks to the next three months. The fire chief said they've had the ability to scramble messages for five years, ever since they bought a new digital system for two million dollars.

Other agencies in Central Florida are moving towards digital transmissions. The city of Apopka already has them and does scramble some signals.<!--stopindex-->

lawyergirl77

mrtoad said:
I really have no issue if they are scrambled. Most of the time reporters will get in the way when something serious is happening. Not necessarily in a park but in general when it comes to emergencies.
Ditto. And given the fact that the people who have been injured lately have been minors, some of whom didn't even have their parents with them at the time, I am all for any kind of measures that would allow their privacy to be respected. If that means a few irate journalists (such as the writer of the quoted article), then so be it. Their pursuit of the truth can wait until the victims are being treated and their loved ones are being contacted!

Woody13

mrtoad said:
Actually, it will make no difference. Many radio scanners are available that will pick up scrambled digital signals. :wave:

tigsmom

mrtoad said:

It is up to the officer in charge (be it police or fire) to protect the scene. The have every right to (and should) move people back, shut roads, block access, etc to the scene. I know my hubby (as fire chief) as done it many times. He even had a reporter bring the SP over because he was denied access. The cop's reply - "he is in charge of the scene, its his call".

While the original call is broadcast over public airwaves the ensuing conversations take place on private bands that can only be heard on the specific frequency given to the fire dept.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom