Another 24 Hours of Disney Event?

TeraWDW

I don't know if I want this to be true or not. My best friend and I are going to be there from the 20th until the 28th. 24 hours of Magic Kingdom sounds like a great time, but at the same time I'm unsure.

By the way, first post after lurking on here for years. Hello!

WDW_Emily

We will be in the MK already on the 24th. Hoping if this is true the crowds wont be too bad. However, we would love to spend the night in the mk!

71jason

We will be in the MK already on the 24th. Hoping if this is true the crowds wont be too bad. However, we would love to spend the night in the mk!

The event last year--in arguably the deadest of the dead season--drew New Years Eve-like crowds. This event, if it really is May 24 and not April 24, will be on a holiday weekend at the beginning of tourist season. "Too bad" crowds are the best we can hope for. The event did start to clear out around 3:00 a.m. last year.

Tom

Beta Return
I don't know if I want this to be true or not. My best friend and I are going to be there from the 20th until the 28th. 24 hours of Magic Kingdom sounds like a great time, but at the same time I'm unsure.

By the way, first post after lurking on here for years. Hello!

Hello, and welcome!

WDW1974

I thought for 2013 DL changed Grad Nite to be a mix in event with a normal park ticket, and only have some exclusive activities for the wristbands-dance party, photo ops, etc. so no longer a true hard ticket

You may be correct. They have destroyed what was a special tradition for decades on one coast, so why not two?

But Grad Night is generally a 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. event ... Disney doesn't let guests stay that late 'normally' so this is going to be one bizarre night in Anaheim.

WDW1974

YES, I've been planning on returning for a while now. I live in West Palm Beach now, not Central Florida like years ago. It's a two and a half hour drive from here. That's why the 24 hour thing looks great because I won't have to worry about sleeping arrangements. Just drive up, spend the day-night there, drive back. I also want to see the other three parks, though. I guess I'll save those for another time.

Oh, about what you said. Don't ever start believing their reasoning. No company is immune to customer abandonment. Look at MySpace. KMart.

I can't imagine any enjoyment coming from driving up to a park, staying all night and driving back. Not likely overly safe, but enjoy it if you go.

And I NEVER, EVER believe that TWDC must exist forever or WDW. I'm smart enough to understand that and have said over and over again how people should look to the past for great BRANDS that no longer exist, companies that were trailblazers and trendsetters that are now known for items selling on eBay that prove they once existed.

Disney's leadership just believes that it's perfectly fine (and desired even) to let long-time, loyal guests walk away because they think there is an undending supply of rubes to take their place. So far, I'll repeat again, they are not entirely incorrect. Long term is another matter ...

WDW1974

Ya know what? This event isnt about all the rides, parties, attractions, etc: Its about the people you're with.

True enough, Dave. And if it weren't for the folks I generally visit with at WDW, I likely ... at this point (if not 5-6 years ago now) would have been down to a 'one long weekend a year on comps' kind of Spirit.

That said, two springs ago I tried to stay at an EMH until 3 a.m. at MK (I did write about it, but I can't recall if I posted it on this site or another or both) and at 1:15 a.m. decided it was time for a snack. Guess what? Phil Holmes and Liz Clark and Chris Lutz and Co decided that the ONLY (and I do mean ONLY) food and beverage locale to remain open for the final two hours of the night was the bakery with limited offerings and a line out the door.

So ... after thinking about it my fellow Spirits and I decided that hunger beat observing what kind of folks are out at the MK at 3 a.m. and what they are actually doing, so we wound up at Gasparilla's at the Grand Flo for a thoroughly ordinary dining experience when we should have gone to the Ale House or Denny's etc.

I guess what I am saying is there is nothing special about being at the MK at 3:11 a.m.other than your ability to say you were there. I'd rather be at the Encore in Vegas at 3:11 a.m. or the Wynn in Macau at 3:11 a.m., but that's just me.

WDW1974

I'm not boycotting. I was since 2006 and forgot I had that ticket! By the way, I was boycotting the fact that Disney treated WDW as second class to DL. Since then, some attractions have gotten exactly what I was boycotting for (like Haunted Mansion)!

I think boycotting an organization the size of WDW Co is dumb. Not saying YOU the individual, but the concept.

It doesn't matter. No matter what. It only matters to you. And if you haven't been since 2006, then you've got plenty of new things, even if many aren't that impressive (from that Move It, Shake it, Celebrate It deal at MK -- no, not gay but it could be) to incredibly overrated (TSMM, Mermaid) to sadly in disrepair (EE).

But anyone who thinks they matter as individuals to Disney ... well, you likely should be posting over on the DIS.

WDW1974

OK, as I type this I am getting a banner ad for FLA Resident rates at the All Star Music for $88 a night (and up on weekends) plus tax.

Anyone want to tell me why this is a great deal and why I'd want to book this for the 24 Hours at Disney event?

PeterAlt

I think boycotting an organization the size of WDW Co is dumb. Not saying YOU the individual, but the concept.

It doesn't matter. No matter what. It only matters to you. And if you haven't been since 2006, then you've got plenty of new things, even if many aren't that impressive (from that Move It, Shake it, Celebrate It deal at MK -- no, not gay but it could be) to incredibly overrated (TSMM, Mermaid) to sadly in disrepair (EE).

But anyone who thinks they matter as individuals to Disney ... well, you likely should be posting over on the DIS.
I totally get what you're saying. As I said, my boycott is over. I'm just trying to figure out when I can return. This - to me - is about principle. I believe in the Collective Unconscious. I would like to believe that my actions (and many others too, who joined me) had something to do with the classic upgrades of recent years. Odds are it had nothing to do with that, but are you going to be the one to break the news to the kids that there's no such thing as Tooth Fairies?

WDW1974

I totally get what you're saying. As I said, my boycott is over. I'm just trying to figure out when I can return. This - to me - is about principle. I believe in the Collective Unconscious. I would like to believe that my actions (and many others too, who joined me) had something to do with the classic upgrades of recent years. Odds are it had nothing to do with that, but are you going to be the one to break the news to the kids that there's no such thing as Tooth Fairies?

Sure. Why not? The world sucks more often than not. Worst thing is humanity can change that. It, as a collective, opts not to ... hence the folks with the $180 million yacht I walked by today (with helicopter and four jet skis on board) that hardly ever use the damn thing.

There are plenty of fairies out there, but no one is giving any kid (even my new friend Violet) money except Mom or Dad.

Disney would rather you not come back at all. They don't want people who recall what the place was like from say 1971-1996 and have been about its condition for 15 years now. Don't ever forget that they are ONLY a business, no more, no less ... despite what they were and what they could be. And the stock has never been higher.

Time to raise ticket prices! (oh and everything else prices too!)

PeterAlt

Sure. Why not? The world sucks more often than not. Worst thing is humanity can change that. It, as a collective, opts not to ... hence the folks with the $180 million yacht I walked by today (with helicopter and four jet skis on board) that hardly ever use the damn thing.

There are plenty of fairies out there, but no one is giving any kid (even my new friend Violet) money except Mom or Dad.

Disney would rather you not come back at all. They don't want people who recall what the place was like from say 1971-1996 and have been about its condition for 15 years now. Don't ever forget that they are ONLY a business, no more, no less ... despite what they were and what they could be. And the stock has never been higher.

You're being very cynical, but you are also right about many of the things you said. People do have the power to change. Sometimes all it takes is one and others follow. Companies can change too. They may think they can control the reality of the situation, but the truth is not like that at all. In fact, if they really think that, they will become irrelevant over time. MySpace and KMart had that attitude and look at them now!

WDW1974

I'd rather be in my bed at 3:11am

I would too, but I am in my bed now 'talking' with you and all my pals in the MAGICal Disney fan community at 1:45 a.m.

To be honest, I rather enjoyed being up at 3:11 at the Encore as the free drinks were phenomenal and I wasn't losing money (wasn't making it either) and I wasn't staying there and it was cold outside ... but when it was 3:11 and I was at the Wynn in Macau, all I was thinking was ''these Chinese dudes (I was having a business meeting!) can drink all night and more than an American college student, while I can not'' and ''I have an incredible room upstairs that I am not paying a penny for and I'd really like to use it now!''

Still, both more fun than MK!!!

PeterAlt

The reality of the situation is last year WDW lost market share to USO. The popularity of HP could very well mean this year will be the same. The $1.5 billion they are investing will continue this trend. Unless Disney wakes up and does something about it, they will be second in Orlando market share within ten years. Mark my word.

WDW1974

You're being very cynical, but you are also right about many of the things you said. People do have the power to change. Sometimes all it takes is one and others follow. Companies can change too. They may think they can control the reality of the situation, but the truth is not like that at all. In fact, if they really think that, they will become irrelevant over time. MySpace and KMart had that attitude and look at them now!

I don't view myself as cynical at all. I view myself as realistic. I don't look at the cracked glass that's about 1/8th full as half full because it makes it easier to get through life. I care about the world and I even care about people (and trees and puppies and horsies too!)

But I've had enough exposure to big business and media (including TWDC close up), politics, the justice system, the healthcare system, the education system to know just how screwed we are. And unlike some, I don't believe in any after-life nonsense. I believe in the here and now. That means that every second really does count. And it's scary how people lose focus over that (or medicate themselves to do so).

Disney CAN absolutely change. But the system, Wall Street, is rewarding them for doing business this way. There is no good reason under the system of bastardized capitalism we practice in the USA for any change.

MySpace was a fad that was passed by a bigger fad in Facebook (and if there's any common sense left in the world, that is what it will become). K-Mart let its stores and image grow stodgy at the same time Walmart and its predatory pricing was taking over the globe. It's a wonder K-Mart even exists anymore (as an aside, I actually was in two stores last year, one in Miami, one in smalltown North Carolina and I was impressed by them ... they felt closer to a Target than a Walmart).

But nothing lasts forever. Disney needs to wake up to that.

WDW1974

The reality of the situation is last year WDW lost market share to USO. The popularity of HP could very well mean this year will be the same. The $1.5 billion they are investing will continue this trend. Unless Disney wakes up and does something about it, they will be second in Orlando market share within ten years. Mark my word.

Nope. No way. Disney is too big. UNI will continue to grab more slices of the pie as will SW, but Disney will remain the top dog ... but what exactly that means will be determined with time.

PeterAlt

Oh, and by the way, my boycott was well worth it because I enjoyed DL far better than I would have enjoyed the stall condition WDW was in during those years! I mean, nothing comes close to the smooth tracks, better effects, and on-vehicle audio system of Space Mountain, for example!

WDW1974

Oh, and by the way, my boycott was well worth it because I enjoyed DL far better than I would have enjoyed the stall condition WDW was in during those years! I mean, nothing comes close to the smooth tracks, better effects, and on-vehicle audio system of Space Mountain, for example!

Last post of the night here ... I would agree with you. In the last 36 months I have been to every Disney park on the globe and taken a 14-night MAGICal cruise with them. There is very, very little at WDW that draws me other than my 'old favorites' and I'm someone that can only take so much of the same thing. I may be in O-Town for a week and at the MK for parts of three days, but I won't ride BTMRR 19 times or PoC 21 times.

The only 'new' thing I'd like to see at WDW is George Kalogridis ... and since he's about to turn 60, he's hardly 'new'! :)

EDIT: OK, not last post of the night, after all!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom