Annoying and unnecessary Christmas music at WDW. Your thoughts, please!

typhoon22

I understand and agree a little bit with you. In Nov. I actually made a comment to my wife about the Christmas music inside Mama Melrose's Ristorante. It somehow didn't seem to fit. I really didn't find it to be overdone, it was just different from my normal visits.

I find it way more annoying to be inundated with TV posters and billboards for ABC shows while at the Disney Studios. When I go to WDW I want to leave the normal stuff behind and be in a different place.:)

haveyoumetmark

I love it!:xmas:

I teach music in NJ at a school where Christmas/holiday music is a no-no. I spend all of December at work ignoring all the wonderful holiday music there is to share. Nothing thrills me more than hearing Christmas music everywhere I go at Disney. It is then I feel like my holiday has truly begun! I say bring it on- anywhere and everywhere.

Not to be rude- but you could always visit at a different time of year. :rolleyes:

I'm also tired of saying the PC "Happy Holidays".

Merry Christmas!:xmas:
Happy Hanukkah!
Happy Kwanza!
Happy New Year!

Totally agree about the PC stuff. Although, I do believe it is currently Hanukkah at the moment, so Happy Hanukkah to all of our friends that celebrate!

Personally, I LOVE the Christmas music this time of year. Christmas is my favorite holiday, so bring it on!
:xmas:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Growing up Jewish, it was always a bit off-putting for me to inundated with Christmas stuff. I actually like a lot of holiday music, but I find it becomes somewhat overwhelming at times. At Disney, I prefer area specific background music, but I agree with the poster who noted that entrace plazas lend themselves to seasonal music presentations, and I do like the holiday music as well. It does show up in strange places, though -- Future World being one that has always seemed unnecessary and over the top to me. I happen to really like the way Illuminations handles the holiday season now. Regular show, with a special addition that has a Christmas-appropriate message, without being overtly religious in nature.

For those commenting on the poltically correct "Happy Holidays", let me offer this perspective, from a Jew who is not all that observant, and pretty thick-skinned. When somebody says "Merry Christmas" to me, two thoughts usually go through my head. The first is "How nice, this person wishes me happiness." The second is "Sigh...why does everybody assume that we all celebrate Christmas?" I'm not offended by the greeting and will respond in kind, but it is a subtle reminder that I'm in the minority. So, I prefer Happy Holidays, unless I know what holiday the person celebrates, in which case I try to tailor the greeting as appropriate.

SpongeScott

Totally agree about the PC stuff. Although, I do believe it is currently Hanukkah at the moment, so Happy Hanukkah to all of our friends that celebrate!

Personally, I LOVE the Christmas music this time of year. Christmas is my favorite holiday, so bring it on!
:xmas:
Move to the head of the class! :wave:

Hanukkah according to the Gregorian calendar

Hanukkah begins at sundown on the evening before the date shown (These are official dates).

IWorkWTeeth

I love it!:xmas:

I teach music in NJ at a school where Christmas/holiday music is a no-no. I spend all of December at work ignoring all the wonderful holiday music there is to share. Nothing thrills me more than hearing Christmas music everywhere I go at Disney. It is then I feel like my holiday has truly begun! I say bring it on- anywhere and everywhere.

Not to be rude- but you could always visit at a different time of year. :rolleyes:

I'm also tired of saying the PC "Happy Holidays".

Merry Christmas!:xmas:
Happy Hanukkah!
Happy Kwanza!
Happy New Year!

I understand, but there are many people who don't celebrate Christmas for one reason or another. I feel bad for those who don't because it is thrown in their face no matter where they go. But I guess this is America!

IWorkWTeeth

Growing up Jewish, it was always a bit off-putting for me to inundated with Christmas stuff. I actually like a lot of holiday music, but I find it becomes somewhat overwhelming at times. At Disney, I prefer area specific background music, but I agree with the poster who noted that entrace plazas lend themselves to seasonal music presentations, and I do like the holiday music as well. It does show up in strange places, though -- Future World being one that has always seemed unnecessary and over the top to me. I happen to really like the way Illuminations handles the holiday season now. Regular show, with a special addition that has a Christmas-appropriate message, without being overtly religious in nature.

For those commenting on the poltically correct "Happy Holidays", let me offer this perspective, from a Jew who is not all that observant, and pretty thick-skinned. When somebody says "Merry Christmas" to me, two thoughts usually go through my head. The first is "How nice, this person wishes me happiness." The second is "Sigh...why does everybody assume that we all celebrate Christmas?" I'm not offended by the greeting and will respond in kind, but it is a subtle reminder that I'm in the minority. So, I prefer Happy Holidays, unless I know what holiday the person celebrates, in which case I try to tailor the greeting as appropriate.

Thats a great way to look at it. I agree! (Although I'm not Jewish.) :)

the-reason14

Honestly, I dont get it. I love WDW and I love christmas. I havent been to WDW at christmas since 2004 and I remember them playing christmas music alot and everywhere, well because its christmastime. I love to be soaked up in christmas usual wherever I go esp. during the holiday season because it fits. If its someones first time and they missed out on the regular music then go when its not christmas and you wont hear it, or try not to have your first time to WDW be a christmas trip. You could also buy earbuds, or buy a cd with the regular playing music and listen to it at the appropriate attraction if it bothers you that bad, or you could just go any other time of the year and you wont hear it.

goofy0101

My thoughts . . . if I had the good fortune to be at WDW right now I wouldn't care what they piped through the speakers. :kiss:

figmentmom

I love Christmas music, and I'm happy to hear it wherever I go at this time of year. Hearing at WDW simply enhances the enjoyment.

The parks are beautifully decorated this time of year, and it would be extremely odd NOT to hear Christmas music!

It's only once a year - enjoy it while you can. :xmas:

DisneyGigi

Disney World plays Christmas music at Christmas??? :eek:
I think they may decorate for it too and have a special event. :rolleyes:

It's great, I love it (besides the crowds), it's Christmas with the mouse! :xmas:

Pseybert

Original Poster
I agree. The Christmas music shouldn't be played in Future World. Everyone knows in the future we won't have Christmas!

Wow. Way to miss the point on everything. I wasn't saying that Christmas wasn't related to the future, but rather, the Christmas theme doesn't lend itself well to the theme of Future World.

But hell - why am I even arguing the current state of theming any further? What does riding a Clam-Mobile and seeing cartoon characters have to do with the future?

The annoying Twelve Days of Christmas song I hear in Toontown all the time, sung by all the Disney characters. I hate to say it, but Goofy sounds so..so..so stupid in that song. It bugs me. >_<

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Well, i'm with ya.

The music in the parks is mediocre at best for Christmas and the offerings have become really stale for entertainment. The Epcot tree ceremony is just poor quality - borderline horrible - makes Cinderellabration look like high art, but is here for the umpteenth year.

Also, the trees.. faded ornaments and broken one too..? What happened to changing decor every 5 years? We've had the same decor for some areas for more then 5 years.

JLW11Hi

I agree with the OP.

Now, first, I love Christmas music. Once its Thanksgiving, I pop in my Bing Crosby CD and listen to it over and over. I play piano, so I play Christmas music all the way up until the end of the year.

When I come to Disney, one of my favorite things about the parks is the atmosphere created through the use of music. How it puts you in the time/era. Disney does not play Christmas music that is arranged for the themes that they are supposed to support. Like the original poster said, he doesn't hate the music, he just dislikes how generic it is and how it doesn't fit the theme. Yes, the turn of the century town would be playing Christmas music, but would it be orchestrated music? I would much rather hear a more ragtime (think Music Man) type of Christmas music than what is currenly played.

And why don't they play Bing Crosby/the Andrews Sisters/Frank Sinatra Christmas songs on Sunset Boulevard? That seems so obvious to me, since they play that kind of music there anyway. It would be perfect.

As for Future World: Manneheim Steamroller! Or something with a lot of synthesizer and/or large orchestration.

See what I'm saying? Its not the fact that it's Christmas music that bugs me, it's the fact that it is all very generic and not themed. From what I remember, they don't even have original music at each park. They reuse the same loops.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
ramahanukwanzmas.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom