News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Ireland would have been a far better choice if TDO wanted to focus on a non-British territory (I hope I'm describing that correctly). Everyone knows Irish lore to some degree (especially leprechauns). And of course in the U.S. St. Patrick's Day is huge. But TDO wanted to stick an IP in there, I guess, and the only Irish-based Disney film I can think of is Darby O'Gill and the Little People...

Depends what you mean by them wanting to focus on a non British IP, the UK includes Northern Ireland so that would fit into the UK pavillion, Ireland itself is part of the British isles but not great Britain or the UK. Either way, using Brave focuses on the collective Celtic culture of Wales, Ireland(before the split) and Scotland and so could be said to be a very British IP, as would be leprechauns. No malice, was just a bit confused by what you meant.

nickys

Premium Member
Ireland would have been a far better choice if TDO wanted to focus on a non-British territory (I hope I'm describing that correctly). Everyone knows Irish lore to some degree (especially leprechauns). And of course in the U.S. St. Patrick's Day is huge. But TDO wanted to stick an IP in there, I guess, and the only Irish-based Disney film I can think of is Darby O'Gill and the Little People...

Why would they focus on a non-British IP in the UK pavilion? I'm confused what you mean. Now they could introduce an Irish pavilion, that would be fun.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I heard this mentioned elsewhere, but isn't the MP M&G even restricted and unable to be used with photopass? Seems like there's still an extraordinary licensing agreement in place with Disney and the Travers estate. Don't know if that had anything to do with their decisions, but it most likely didn't help.

I think this might be true. For some reason I remember at the Christmas Party (or Halloween Party - I can't remember which one) a few years ago that we had to have the handler take our photo with Poppins, Bert, and the Penguin with my iPhone even though we had memory maker.

That being said, I wonder if they can't use Mary Poppins in rides or attractions. It wouldn't surprise me with the way Travers was about the whole thing.

Pixieish

Is

But how can he not recognize the impact the parks make on the company?!

All he sees the parks as is an ATM. He knows they make money, but he doesn't see the long-term or how important the repeat guests and loyal fans are. He doesn't realize that if you anger the regulars often enough and they stop coming (and bringing their mini-loyal fans), the pool of new guests will dry up because they won't see the value in the parks that loyal guests do, so they don't become loyal fans at all, and it becomes a downwards spiral. Sure, going to the parks may still be a "right of passage", but it's the repeat business that keeps things going.

DisneyDoctor

All he sees the parks as is an ATM. He knows they make money, but he doesn't see the long-term or how important the repeat guests and loyal fans are. He doesn't realize that if you anger the regulars often enough and they stop coming (and bringing their mini-loyal fans), the pool of new guests will dry up because they won't see the value in the parks that loyal guests do, so they don't become loyal fans at all, and it becomes a downwards spiral. Sure, going to the parks may still be a "right of passage", but it's the repeat business that keeps things going.
I agree with what you are saying, but it could be argued that adding more princess/animation IPs that attract a younger crowd could effectively make a new pool of loyal Disney fans. Yes, it really angers some of the loyal fans of yesterday, but they could make a new group of loyal fans that keep coming. This could result in a perceived decrease in value for these new fans, but as long as they keep pumping out new movies and attractions to accompany them, it will drive sales and the parks will still surge with repeat visitors and drawing people who haven't previously visited. It's sad, though, that the company doesn't listen well to loyal fans like everyone on here. Money is king, I suppose.

Pixieish

I agree with what you are saying, but it could be argued that adding more princess/animation IPs that attract a younger crowd could effectively make a new pool of loyal Disney fans. Yes, it really angers some of the loyal fans of yesterday, but they could make a new group of loyal fans that keep coming. This could result in a perceived decrease in value for these new fans, but as long as they keep pumping out new movies and attractions to accompany them, it will drive sales and the parks will still surge with repeat visitors and drawing people who haven't previously visited. It's sad, though, that the company doesn't listen well to loyal fans like everyone on here. Money is king, I suppose.

That's a factor too...but how many adults (with or without children) will keep going to a park just because of princesses? Not to discredit Disney's movies, but they sure seem hell-bent on putting every princess in the parks and keeping them there, rather than having a balanced M&G lineup.

DisneyDoctor

That's a factor too...but how many adults (with or without children) will keep going to a park just because of princesses? Not to discredit Disney's movies, but they sure seem hell-bent on putting every princess in the parks and keeping them there, rather than having a balanced M&G lineup.
Good point. If they kept building at a normal pace, it could bring people back regularly. Maybe they will stop caring about adults without kids. Just care about the ones with kids (and a fat wallet). At a certain age princesses stop being relevant, but if Disney can get a family to come back every year for 10 years, while simultaneously increasing the amount of new families coming, they could maintain the attendance. Either way, the future is sorta scary.

No Name

I don't know how anyone can queue an hour for Pan and come off it not being severely underwhelmed and disappointed at the experience, beyond nostalgia. It's a great concept but short, and if it's short it needs to wow...plastic models don't cut it in this day and age.

It's charming. Charming is loved by guests new and old. Charming is a key part of why the Magic Kingdom is the most visited theme park on the planet.

But I suppose It's a Small World would be better off with advanced animatronics, three-dimensional sets, and some authentic weathering! o_O

UpAllNight

It's charming. Charming is loved by guests new and old. Charming is a key part of why the Magic Kingdom is the most visited theme park on the planet.

But I suppose It's a Small World would be better off with three-dimensional sets, and some authentic weathering! o_O

Nobody is queuing 60 minutes for it's a small world...a ride which lasts considerably longer than Pan. Pan needs to offer more for the wait it commands.

No Name

Nobody is queuing 60 minutes for it's a small world...a ride which lasts considerably longer than Pan. Pan needs to offer more for the wait it commands.

Oh yes, I agree that it could use updates. Although I think the better investment would be new ships with higher capacity. That would bring line down considerably and allow more people to ride. Would you rather wait 60 minutes for an updated version of the three minute ride, or 20 minutes for what we have now? It's a matter of opinion I suppose. Ideally, both would happen.

All I object to is you saying that plastic models don't cut it in this day and age. I think there are examples where that is not true.

At least you aren't suggesting moving PPF to the UK pavilion. There, I related this to the thread topic!

Magic Feather

As far as everyone complaining about it not being Mary or Brave not fitting, or Mary being a great fit (Spoiler Alert: It's not), how things fit and work is incredibly subjective. In my honest opinion, Brave (still not confirming or denying) would be just as good of a fit for the UK as Mary is if not better. Brave is based on Celtic bear mythology, for that of which there is a plenty. Many Celts worshipped bear gods and goddesses, such as Artio, and many other things.
(More in depth description: http://www.mythphile.com/2012/06/brave-the-bear-and-the-bow/)
But, even then (full rant buried somewhere else in this thread), Mary is about as good of a fit as the Three Caballeros are in Mexico, if not slightly worse. Not trying to say Brave is the golden IP for the UK (Sword in the Stone), but it is a more ideal one from a cultural standpoint. I know there may be many that will jump down my throat for the statement, but don't let your lifelong desire for Mary Poppins (that I subscribe to as well), blind yourself that Brave is a fine fit, but as to whether or not it will be in the UK Pavillion... No comment.

PS: The proposal will be fun and enjoyable and serve its purpose. Don't expect too much.

bclane

As far as everyone complaining about it not being Mary or Brave not fitting, or Mary being a great fit (Spoiler Alert: It's not), how things fit and work is incredibly subjective. In my honest opinion, Brave (still not confirming or denying) would be just as good of a fit for the UK as Mary is if not better. Brave is based on Celtic bear mythology, for that of which there is a plenty. Many Celts worshipped bear gods and goddesses, such as Artio, and many other things.
(More in depth description: http://www.mythphile.com/2012/06/brave-the-bear-and-the-bow/)
But, even then (full rant buried somewhere else in this thread), Mary is about as good of a fit as the Three Caballeros are in Mexico, if not slightly worse. Not trying to say Brave is the golden IP for the UK (Sword in the Stone), but it is a more ideal one from a cultural standpoint. I know there may be many that will jump down my throat for the statement, but don't let your lifelong desire for Mary Poppins (that I subscribe to as well), blind yourself that Brave is a fine fit, but as to whether or not it will be in the UK Pavillion... No comment.

PS: The proposal will be fun and enjoyable and serve its purpose. Don't expect too much.
Fun and enjoyable works for me. Not everything needs to be a FoP or a Splash Mountain. Thanks for the info.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom