News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

DisneyDodo

Martin, since it is slated to open by 2021, when do you expect to construction to begin? Will it have to be announced by then?

My guess is that they will announce it as one of the 50 enhancements for WDW50, likely at the 2019 D23 Expo, and then begin construction soon after. My reasoning is as follows: I'm not sure whether Disney would try to get away with including projects in the 50 that had been confirmed years before, but have not yet been completed at the time of the announcement (e.g. SWGE, Tron, etc.), but anything they can break ground on after the announcement and still finish in time for the 50th, they will probably want to include (so as to minimize the number of additional enhancements they would need to make). Assuming the UK attraction can be completed within a 2-year timeframe (which is almost certainly the case), they could wait to break ground on it until D23 '19.

wdrive

I think this might be true. For some reason I remember at the Christmas Party (or Halloween Party - I can't remember which one) a few years ago that we had to have the handler take our photo with Poppins, Bert, and the Penguin with my iPhone even though we had memory maker.

That being said, I wonder if they can't use Mary Poppins in rides or attractions. It wouldn't surprise me with the way Travers was about the whole thing.

A great point. Mary Poppins can not have a Photopass photographer with her. You'll notice in the app too she's the only character without a photo. I've no idea what that means to a Poppins attraction but it could be a factor.

Fox&Hound

As far as everyone complaining about it not being Mary or Brave not fitting, or Mary being a great fit (Spoiler Alert: It's not), how things fit and work is incredibly subjective. In my honest opinion, Brave (still not confirming or denying) would be just as good of a fit for the UK as Mary is if not better. Brave is based on Celtic bear mythology, for that of which there is a plenty. Many Celts worshipped bear gods and goddesses, such as Artio, and many other things.
(More in depth description: http://www.mythphile.com/2012/06/brave-the-bear-and-the-bow/)
But, even then (full rant buried somewhere else in this thread), Mary is about as good of a fit as the Three Caballeros are in Mexico, if not slightly worse. Not trying to say Brave is the golden IP for the UK (Sword in the Stone), but it is a more ideal one from a cultural standpoint. I know there may be many that will jump down my throat for the statement, but don't let your lifelong desire for Mary Poppins (that I subscribe to as well), blind yourself that Brave is a fine fit, but as to whether or not it will be in the UK Pavillion... No comment.

PS: The proposal will be fun and enjoyable and serve its purpose. Don't expect too much.

Thanks for your response! I hate to bother but any hint if we are looking a dark ride type attraction?

Phicinfan

As far as everyone complaining about it not being Mary or Brave not fitting, or Mary being a great fit (Spoiler Alert: It's not), how things fit and work is incredibly subjective. In my honest opinion, Brave (still not confirming or denying) would be just as good of a fit for the UK as Mary is if not better. Brave is based on Celtic bear mythology, for that of which there is a plenty. Many Celts worshipped bear gods and goddesses, such as Artio, and many other things.
(More in depth description: http://www.mythphile.com/2012/06/brave-the-bear-and-the-bow/)
But, even then (full rant buried somewhere else in this thread), Mary is about as good of a fit as the Three Caballeros are in Mexico, if not slightly worse. Not trying to say Brave is the golden IP for the UK (Sword in the Stone), but it is a more ideal one from a cultural standpoint. I know there may be many that will jump down my throat for the statement, but don't let your lifelong desire for Mary Poppins (that I subscribe to as well), blind yourself that Brave is a fine fit, but as to whether or not it will be in the UK Pavillion... No comment.

PS: The proposal will be fun and enjoyable and serve its purpose. Don't expect too much.
Bravo, love this view...by the by...I am still voting for a Sword in the stone boat ride ;)

britain

I think a lot of the reason why we are predisposed to want Poppins is because of the Cherry Tree Lane area already present at the UK pavilion. But you bring up a great point: ancient British Isles culture should find some representation there.

Magenta Panther

I think your average Disney Park guest would much more easily identify Mary Poppins with Great Britain than with bare Scottish butts and bear gods...

Now, if EPCOT/World Showcase was going to remain truly representative of the countries therein, the Scottish lore would be fine. But since there's going to be an IP shoved in there anyway, it's hard to understand how Poppins would be a poor fit, especially compared to Brave.

Bocabear

I think your average Disney Park guest would much more easily identify Mary Poppins with Great Britain than with bare Scottish butts and bear gods...

Now, if EPCOT/World Showcase was going to remain truly representative of the countries therein, the Scottish lore would be fine. But since there's going to be an IP shoved in there anyway, it's hard to understand how Poppins would be a poor fit, especially compared to Brave.
So very true and tonaly a much better fit with World Showcase than Brave or Alice. to most Americans, Mary Poppins is quintessentially British...I dare say there are many that think of Mary Poppins at the mention of London... Brave was a cute movie and I enjoyed it, but it's setting in ancient Scotland seems too distant and soecific for a pavilion that is about The United Kingdom in general...

DisneyDodo

So very true and tonaly a much better fit with World Showcase than Brave or Alice. to most Americans, Mary Poppins is quintessentially British...I dare say there are many that think of Mary Poppins at the mention of London... Brave was a cute movie and I enjoyed it, but it's setting in ancient Scotland seems too distant and soecific for a pavilion that is about The United Kingdom in general...
I think it is precisely this "distance" from the current pavilion that would entice Disney to insert the Brave IP into it. The more diversity they have within a pavilion, the more people it could potentially appeal to. By adding Scottish representation to the UK pavilion, Disney essentially gains all of the popularity that comes with adding a country to WS, without the costs associated with building a new pavilion.

disneygeek90

You seem to be too focused on the butts.

Nmoody1

A great point. Mary Poppins can not have a Photopass photographer with her. You'll notice in the app too she's the only character without a photo. I've no idea what that means to a Poppins attraction but it could be a factor.

I think that's because the app uses cartoon versions of the characters, and Mary cannot be represented as animated/cartoon

doctornick

Thank you, agree 100%. I'm actually pretty dumbfounded by people arguing for how Mary Poppins is a good fit for the UK pavilion.

Casper Gutman

Thank you, agree 100%. I'm actually pretty dumbfounded by people arguing for how Mary Poppins is a good fit for the UK pavilion.
OK, I'm confused now - Mary Poppins, based on a book by a British author that was turned into a film that ranks with The Great Escape as one of the most beloved films in Britain and is set in an archetypical Britain, doesn't fit in the UK pavilion? Why?

jpeden

In the Parks
No
OK, I'm confused now - Mary Poppins, based on a book by a British author that was turned into a film that ranks with The Great Escape as one of the most beloved films in Britain and is set in an archetypical Britain, doesn't fit in the UK pavilion? Why?

It's pure fantasy and not based on history like the actual world showcase. Also, PL Travers isn't British. She is technically from Australia.

Casper Gutman

It's pure fantasy and not based on history like the actual world showcase. Also, PL Travers isn't British. She is technically from Australia.
It's integral enough to British popular culture that the character featured heavily in the opening ceremonies of the London Olympics, a show designed to highlight Britain's view of itself to the whole world.

In the new world showcase, Poppins, Alice, Brave, and Toad would all fit in UK better than Frozen or Three Caballeros fit in their respective countries. The problem with Brave is twofold: its visuals aren't particularly interesting, and Scotland wasn't a part of the UK when the story was set and, more importantly, is quite likely not to be a part of it in the near future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom