News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Haymarket2008

I don't see brave having a higher edutainment value than MP

My reasoning is that Brave deals with Scottish folklore and a specific time in history that is quite important and romanticized in UK culture. Mary Poppins is based on a children's novel from the 1930's. I would prefer a Mary Poppins attraction over a Brave one, don't get me wrong. But it really doesn't have much to say at all about the UK's broader history.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
My reasoning is that Brave deals with Scottish folklore and a specific time in history that is quite important and romanticized in UK culture. Mary Poppins is based on a children's novel from the 1930's. I would prefer a Mary Poppins attraction over a Brave one, don't get me wrong. But it really doesn't have much to say at all about the UK's broader history.
The time in history when people were turned into bears ???

DisneyFan18

Guys, whether we like it or not the IP was already chosen, there’s really no point on arguing about how Mary Poppins is a better choice than Brave, or that Brave isn’t a good movie, or whatever. Martin said that he liked the idea, so it won’t be a mediocre ride, relax, if he is fine with it, we should as well, if he considered that the decision made by Disney was poor, he would have told us that. Maybe we can work together on defining which ride systems are a possibility and then maybe we can try to guess more accurately what we should expect.

disneygeek90

Just what does Iger have against Mary Poppins anyway? The UK area is the "practically perfect" place to finally put an attraction based on Walt's greatest film in a Disney park. But NO, apparently it's going to be Brave, because...? God knows why. Except hey, princess! :p
I heard this mentioned elsewhere, but isn't the MP M&G even restricted and unable to be used with photopass? Seems like there's still an extraordinary licensing agreement in place with Disney and the Travers estate. Don't know if that had anything to do with their decisions, but it most likely didn't help.

Magenta Panther

Ireland would have been a far better choice if TDO wanted to focus on a non-British territory (I hope I'm describing that correctly). Everyone knows Irish lore to some degree (especially leprechauns). And of course in the U.S. St. Patrick's Day is huge. But TDO wanted to stick an IP in there, I guess, and the only Irish-based Disney film I can think of is Darby O'Gill and the Little People...

Magenta Panther

I heard this mentioned elsewhere, but isn't the MP M&G even restricted and unable to be used with photopass? Seems like there's still an extraordinary licensing agreement in place with Disney and the Travers estate. Don't know if that had anything to do with their decisions, but it most likely didn't help.

I had not thought of that. Wonder if it's true...

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Nah, probably focus on things more along the lines of this.

That would be nice but after Frozenstom/VotLM does anyone else really think it would be more than a boat/omnimover/other vehicle that goes through a series of sets and screens that depicts the movie all over again ?

disneygeek90

That would be nice but after Frozenstom/VotLM does anyone else really think it would be more than a boat/omnimover/other vehicle that goes through a series of sets and screens that depicts the movie all over again ?
Even if it were, I would love to see the landscaping and sets they choose to create. Maybe I am just a wishful thinker, but if Brave is indeed the IP, I don't see how they can ignore that.

DisneyDoctor

Ireland would have been a far better choice if TDO wanted to focus on a non-British territory (I hope I'm describing that correctly). Everyone knows Irish lore to some degree (especially leprechauns). And of course in the U.S. St. Patrick's Day is huge. But TDO wanted to stick an IP in there, I guess, and the only Irish-based Disney film I can think of is Darby O'Gill and the Little People...
I agree, an Ireland theme would be great. That makes me think, though, Disney hasn't used the Irish culture for a major feature film yet (correct me if wrong). Would be great to see more Ireland in WS, and a new Ireland-inspired film.

DisneyDoctor

Just what does Iger have against Mary Poppins anyway? The UK area is the "practically perfect" place to finally put an attraction based on Walt's greatest film in a Disney park. But NO, apparently it's going to be Brave, because...? God knows why. Except hey, princess! :p
I think it could be the licensing issue previously mentioned. BUT, it probably has more to do with money. I'm sure Iger thinks that a princess ride will bring more families into WS, then they could flood the shelves with Brave merchandise and make a sickening amount of money. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm excited that at least SOMETHING is coming to WS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom