News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

His point was that Peter Pan would fit better than Frozen does since the story actually comes from and partially takes place in a real place in the country represented.
That's correct. In Epcot you walk into the UK pavilion then enter a building that looks like it would fit in London, then board a ride that would depart the land that you are physically in. Honestly, I doubt they do this and am fine with it remaining in MK, I just thought there was some logical synergy with the concept.

So nearly every single ride in Fantasyland that takes place in a real location doesn't fit? You'd be left with next to nothing.
Which of the other rides in Fantasyland have representation of an actual identifiable location like London? Beast, Mermaid, Snow White may all based on regions in Europe but none as specific as an existing city like London. They are fantasized versions of those regions.

bhg469

It doesn't matter if it is the greatest attraction ever, the same old tired 'fans' will still moan and gripe about it being an ill fit for the park.
Until they come to the realization that the park has been long dead, they will be happier. The view of the company has shifted to exploiting their IPs and not developing original ideas. That is why I am sad.. There will never be another haunted mansion, or pirates of the caribbean.

PorterRedkey

Here's a list of every Disney animated movie set in England (from dorkly.com):
  • Robin Hood
  • The Great Mouse Detective
  • Sword and the Stone
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • The Adventures of Mr. Toad
  • Black Cauldron
  • 101 Dalmatians
  • Peter Pan
  • Cars 2
  • Brave
If I had to bet from that list, I'd put money on Brave or Alice in Wonderland. If you expand to non-animated movies you add in the other obvious choice, Mary Poppins.
C'mon Black Cauldron! BC would be incredible but it was such a flop. Plus, it would scare the crap out of the kids.

doctornick

Until they come to the realization that the park has been long dead, they will be happier. The view of the company has shifted to exploiting their IPs and not developing original ideas. That is why I am sad.. There will never be another haunted mansion, or pirates of the caribbean.

Mystic Manor didn't open that long ago. Obviously, that's the exception not the rule, but it certainly shows the company can and will develop original concepts on that scale at times.

And they just opened up a nighttime spectacular in DAK that does not have IPs involved

bhg469

Mystic Manor didn't open that long ago. Obviously, that's the exception not the rule, but it certainly shows the company can and will develop original concepts on that scale at times.

And they just opened up a nighttime spectacular in DAK that does not have IPs involved
I should have been clear.. State side parks. And the DAK show is not exactly a shining example of their abilities. Can you name an attraction since everest or in the future that isnt IP based?

nickys

Premium Member
I did say arguably. No one knows where he actually found the Sword, it could have even been London.

He was "born" in Cornwall (Tintagel) and the holy grail aspect of Arthurian legend is Cornish. And of course he became King of England (allegedly). But both his parents were Welsh; it's so wrapped up in Welsh legend, the original accounts were all in Welsh, Excalibur ended up at the bottom of a Welsh lake, his final battle was there .....

Mind you, if he existed at all the historians reckon he was probably a Roman general, so they could put it in the Italy pavilion!

Edit: sorry, forgot to post the link. This refers to the movie narration stating it takes place in England. I love that Disney appears to know for sure when no historian does! ;)

Matt_Black

I did say arguably. No one knows where he actually found the Sword, it could have even been London.

He was "born" in Cornwall (Tintagel) and the holy grail aspect of Arthurian legend is Cornish. And of course he became King of England (allegedly). But both his parents were Welsh; it's so wrapped up in Welsh legend, the original accounts were all in Welsh, Excalibur ended up at the bottom of a Welsh lake, his final battle was there .....

Mind you, if he existed at all the historians reckon he was probably a Roman general, so they could put it in the Italy pavilion!

Edit: sorry, forgot to post the link. This refers to the movie narration stating it takes place in England. I love that Disney appears to know for sure when no historian does! ;)

And? The original stories of Aladdin have the whole thing set in China. We should move Aladdin to the China Pavilion!

Moot point, anyway, since Wales is part of the United Kingdom, and it's the UK Pavilion, not the England Pavilion.

disneygeek90

• Robin Hood
  • Sword and the Stone
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Black Cauldron
  • 101 Dalmatians
  • Peter Pan
  • Cars 2
  • Brave
If I had to bet from that list, I'd put money on Brave or Alice in Wonderland. If you expand to non-animated movies you add in the other obvious choice, Mary Poppins.
Don't tease me with Brave... :(

TeriofTerror

• Robin Hood
  • Sword and the Stone
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Black Cauldron
  • 101 Dalmatians
  • Peter Pan
  • Cars 2
  • Brave
Please, gawd, not Cars 2. Anything would be better than that.

nickys

Premium Member
And? The original stories of Aladdin have the whole thing set in China. We should move Aladdin to the China Pavilion!

Moot point, anyway, since Wales is part of the United Kingdom, and it's the UK Pavilion, not the England Pavilion.

Pretty sure Aladdin is a fairy tale set in China. And yes, you could argue it belongs more in China than Morocco which is not even an Arab country, which is where Disney chose to set their version.

The story of Arthur is more than a fairy tale, like Robin Hood, It is more than likely that there was such a person who rose to become King, even if there is uncertainty as to the degree to which the elements of the story belong to one person.

It may be a moot point, and I would agree with you in general, except that I used it as an example of widening the representation of the UK. It comes down to the difference between England and the UK. It is why I would like to see a Brave ride. I like the movie, and it happens to fulfill my wish to see the UK pavilion be more than England-centric.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Mary Poppins, it’s safe because it has a classic movie but also forward looking with new films slated to be released. It makes too much sense for them to use this IP.

No Name

I don't think DuckTales has been seriously brought up as a possibility on here. There's a reboot just starting up now.

You could argue many reasons that it doesn't naturally fit, which is exactly why this is the likely IP. I mean hey, Donald wears a fancy hat, bow tie, and jacket with buttons. Scrooge even wears a top hat, and one would presume he's actually from the UK. And the ducks can be tailored to tell just about any story, or at the very least, chase each other around in front of various tourist attractions.

If this is supposed to be to Kitchen Calamity as Gran Fiesta Tour is to Frozen Ever After, using Donald and other ducks would make that quite the analogy.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom