News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Captain Neo

Jeez they they made such a big deal about it and it’s only a spinner ride? Are we sure this isn’t a companion attraction to the main dark ride?

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Epcot could use a flat ride or two to help round out/diversify its attraction list.

And Mary Poppins doesn't really lend itself well to an attraction. Good attractions are built on good atmosphere/environments. Nearly every environment in the movie is either a real world environment or a generic cartoon version of real world environments.

Mary Poppins is one of the greatest films ever made. But it doesn't really lend itself to anything more than a walkthrough/fancy spinner or a show.

Of course, this is all opinions. But if you look at great IP based attractions, they all are in more fantastical places than London rooftops and streets.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Anyone taking bets on what this thing will look like? Just a "spinner". Just a "carousel". Bah! I'm not buying it.

Will it be faster than Dumbo/Astro/Aladdin/Triceratop or slower? Will it whip us about or will it bounce up and down as it turns like a slow-motion Musik Express? Or will this be more like the rotate functionality of Carousel of Progress?

TBH, I'm hoping for a ride that features all of that but I fear that's asking too much. I hope to be impressed but a "spinner" isn't a great starting point for a ride concept. :shrugs:

I'll try to temper my expectations.

WDW Pro

Anyone taking bets on what this thing will look like? Just a "spinner". Just a "carousel". Bah! I'm not buying it.

Will it be faster than Dumbo/Astro/Aladdin/Triceratop or slower? Will it whip us about or will it bounce up and down as it turns like a slow-motion Musik Express? Or will this be more like the rotate functionality of Carousel of Progress?

TBH, I'm hoping for a ride that features all of that but I fear that's asking too much. I hope to be impressed but a "spinner" isn't a great starting point for a ride concept. :shrugs:

I'll try to temper my expectations.

World Showcase is already skewed towards adults, and by no small margin. Implementing a thrill ride for Mary Poppins, or a ride of any significant height restriction, is likely not achieving the desired goal.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
World Showcase is already skewed towards adults, and by no small margin. Implementing a thrill ride for Mary Poppins, or a ride of any significant height restriction, is likely not achieving the desired goal.

I'll give you Musik Express but Dumbo and the like is hardly a "thrill" ride. If what you say is true however, This sounds like it's going to be a very lame flat ride.

Mike S

Why do people always jump to the conclusion of “you can’t have thrill rides everywhere” when people talk about how they don’t like flat rides and want something more substantial? There is a middle ground between those extremes that toddlers can still enjoy you know.

IveBeenJack

Theme Park Stop on YouTube seems to think it’s two rival ideas and they haven’t decided which to choose:

Idea 1: @marni1971 Carosuel idea with screenz

Idea 2: Enchanted Tales with Mary (complete with Mary making an entrance though her bag)

of course...they are some YouTube channel and not a great source but there ya go

I really like Alicia’s Universal Studios development stuff, as she knows that for sure... but Disney isn’t really her area of expertise. As earlier this year, she stated that a permit for Club 33 at DAK was going to be a Lion King dark ride!!! And if you follow the Disney development cycle, you’d have known that it was always going to be for Club 33 instead. So I wouldn’t put too much weight in Poppins climbing out through her carpet bag LOL 😂

bcoachable

I dont even begin to know much, so take it with the salt grain yadayada
but I have heard its going to be cool... as far as spinners go

Surferboy567

I really like Alicia’s Universal Studios development stuff, as she knows that for sure... but Disney isn’t really her area of expertise. As earlier this year, she stated that a permit for Club 33 at DAK was going to be a Lion King dark ride!!! And if you follow the Disney development cycle, you’d have known that it was always going to be for Club 33 instead. So I wouldn’t put too much weight in Poppins climbing out through her carpet bag LOL 😂

Jack! I love your videos, figured it sounded weird but...being that Alicia appears to have some inside knowledge about Epic Universe that’s why I wanted to share it here. It always did sound weird and off to me that Chapek would make such a big deal out of a expanded M & G and not an attraction (yes even a carousel counts). So...it’s good to see the sources on here tell me that Alicia’s reporting (at least on this) seems invalid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom