News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That's my bet

Jolly Tales with Bert

Gutday guvnahs! 'Ows about I tells ya of a nanny who gave 'er charges some of that there funny medicine and convinced them rascals: first inta thinkin' that their 'allucinations were real magical 'olidays and then, second, gas-lighted them in pretending nothin' 'appened and drove 'em mad!!

Surferboy567

Maybe a enchanted tales like experience could work here...just don’t make it so kiddie. I just want to experience some kind of live action segment though jolly holiday or Royal dalton.

ImperfectPixie

We went to Canobie Lake Park in NH this past weekend, and seeing this I CRACKED UP! I just couldn't help myself!

Yup...it's a coming soon banner for a double-decker carousel!

Casper Gutman

Hey, grumpy Disney curmudgeon here. Mary Poppins is a masterpiece. Mary Poppins Returns is very good. It follows the beats of the original too closely (its kind of a musical Force Awakens), but it captures the spirit of the classic, the performances are charming, and while the catchy songs certainly don't come close to surpassing the Sherman Brothers tunes, the production of the musical numbers comes very close to surpassing their older counterparts. It's a real shame it didn't perform even better then it did.

A MP ride would be wonderful but an MPR ride is only very slightly less appealing (why not both?) The problem is the nature of the ride, not the nature of the IP.

Last edited:

Haymarket2008

Hey, grumpy Disney curmudgeon here. Mary Poppins is a masterpiece. Mary Poppins Returns is very good. It follows the beats of the original too closely (its kind of a musical Force Awakens), but it captures the spirit of the classic, the performances are charming, and while the catchy songs certainly don't come close to surpassing the Sherman Brothers tunes, the production of the musical numbers comes very close to surpassing their older counterparts. It's a real shame it didn't perform even better then it did.

A MP ride would be wonderful but an MPR ride is only very slightly less appealing (why not both?) The problem is the nature of the ride, not the nature of the IP.

This is the correct take on the matter.

It was not a flop. It made money, and then buckets on home video.

Mary Poppins Returns made buckets on home video? Do you have the numbers? I know it did fine upon its release the first few weeks, but when I look at the current Amazon's best sellers lists I see that Mary Poppins Returns has fallen way down in rank, while the classic original film remains in the top 100 on overall sales list and #2 of all musicals. To me this speaks to the overall popularity of the original compared to the sequel.
Amazon Best Sellers Rank for all Movies & TV for the day of 8/30/19:
DVD:
Mary Poppins 1964 - #87
Mary Poppins Returns - #341
BLU-RAY:
Mary Poppins 1964 - #789
Mary Poppins Returns - #1,104

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Mary Poppins Returns made buckets on home video? Do you have the numbers? I know it did fine upon its release the first few weeks, but when I look at the current Amazon's best sellers lists I see that Mary Poppins Returns has fallen way down in rank, while the classic original film remains in the top 100 on overall sales list and #2 of all musicals. To me this speaks to the overall popularity of the original compared to the sequel.
DVD:
Mary Poppins 1964 - #87
BLU-RAY:
Mary Poppins 1964 - #789
I liked the film a lot, but I don't think it did particularly well on home video:

Compare this to Coco, which was ultimately judged not to warrant an update to the Mexico pavilion:

I'm glad the seem to be sticking with MPR to some degree as I think it deserved to do better and could find a following. Some of the songs are honestly fantastic. I am surprised, though, as that seems very un-Disney these days.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

DVD:
Mary Poppins 1964 - #87
BLU-RAY:
Mary Poppins 1964 - #789
Yes, it did. Like most movies on disc, they make the bulk of the $$$ the first few weeks. However, MPR will be selling discs for a long time as a Disney family film.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom