News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Bocabear

I was looking at the overview of the propert on Google Earth and compared the space available with the size of the Carousel in Fantasyland, and a couple dark rides... Unless they are removing or changing the Big Event Tent, There is not a lot of space available... Could barely fit a carousel and even the smallest dark ride footprint (Peter Pan's FLight) would have trouble fitting unless they completely reconfigure the roads and tent...This is looking more like a walk through and meet and greet...
OOps while I was [posting someone posted a different location...
EPCOT MP Size Comparisons.jpg
t and greet...

brihow

Count me among those that did not like MPR at all, but I'm glad it seems many on here really enjoyed it. I wonder (hope) there might be a way for this attraction to somehow honor both films?

WDW Pro

I was looking at the overview of the propert on Google Earth and compared the space available with the size of the Carousel in Fantasyland, and a couple dark rides... Unless they are removing or changing the Big Event Tent, There is not a lot of space available... Could barely fit a carousel and even the smallest dark ride footprint (Peter Pan's FLight) would have trouble fitting unless they completely reconfigure the roads and tent...This is looking more like a walk through and meet and greet...
OOps while I was [posting someone posted a different location...View attachment 402500t and greet...

Put it over the gazeebo and you'll see there's plenty of space. That's where it is primarily going with facades where most people are thinking the show building will be (but that's not correct).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So how smart is it for TDO to build a Poppins ride based on what even you admit was a mediocre/flop sequel performance at the box office?
Pretty sure you just described Tron as well...

And Fanstasia. And Dumbo. And all the classic animation which didn't turn a profit in their first theatrical run, but made up for it in re-releases.

Re-releases that were marketed by being used as IPs in Disneyland to keep them in the public's eye. Walt's own synergy he fully endorsed.

Today, the duty of re-releases is now in the hands of DVDs and streaming.

Anyhoo... back to MPR. It got reasonably good reviews by the very clear majority of those who saw it. (That's not to be spun as "mediocre", the reviews were "good," such thing exists between excellent and fair/mixed.) And of those who saw it and didn't hate it (who are in the minority), we're witness that it grows on you. Which means MPR has a really good chance of becoming a Disney classic just like all the other classics that didn't do gangbusters in it's first theatrical run.

Mike S

And Fanstasia. And Dumbo. And all the classic animation which didn't turn a profit in their first theatrical run, but made up for it in re-releases.

Re-releases that were marketed by being used as IPs in Disneyland to keep them in the public's eye. Walt's own synergy he fully endorsed.

Anyhoo... back to MPR. It got reasonably good reviews by the very clear majority of those who saw it. (That's not to be spun as "mediocre", the reviews were "good," such thing exists between excellent and fair/mixed.) And of those who saw it and didn't hate it (who are in the minority), we're witness that it grows on you. Which means MPR has a really good chance of becoming a Disney classic just like all the other classics that didn't do gangbusters in it's first theatrical run.
The original will still be the best though. The reaction to Dick Van at the panel is proof enough of that.

Timothy_Q

OOps while I was [posting someone posted a different location...View attachment 402500t and greet...

There's plenty of space.

Even more if they adjust the backstage roads.

Whether they use it or not tho...

00.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Possible? Sure. But if they are going to build these three facades, you would think they would be built in a way to block and/or possibly cover a potential show building.

They will block a show building, that big ol' tent because that's what will be behind them and nothing else can fit. Without removing the tent, guests have to turn left and walk to where the real attraction will be unless it's just a few small M&G rooms.

Who knows... if there is a carousel out in the open, the new buildings can simply serve as a covered queue with fun stuff like in Pan's queue.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

Uh, no - the original Dumbo was a huge box-office success:

Despite the advent of World War II, Dumbo was still the most financially successful Disney film of the 1940s. After its October 23 release, Dumbo proved to be a financial miracle compared to other Disney films. The simple film only cost $950,000 (equivalent to $16,180,000 in 2018) to produce,[2] half the cost of Snow White, less than a third of the cost of Pinocchio, and certainly less than the expensive Fantasia. Dumbo eventually grossed $1.6 million (equivalent to $27,250,000 in 2018) during its original release; it and Snow White were the only two pre-1943 Disney features to turn a profit.[3] The film was re-released in theaters in 1949, 1959, 1972, and 1976.

Facts - gotta love 'em!

Now as for Fantasia - yep, the film was too smart for the room. Not that it was perfect, overall - sections of it were perfect (such as the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy segment, and of course the Sorcerer's Apprentice, and the Night on Bald Mountain segment). The segment The Rite of Spring is terribly dated, although not Walt's fault - the dinosaurs reflected the beliefs of the time, whereas nowadays we know that dinosaurs were basically overgrown chickens :p). But it's still a worthy film - that's why it's remembered and appreciated despite its lackluster box office performance.

I...hope you're not comparing Mary Poppins Returns to Fantasia...?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom