News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Animaniac93-98

The 30 percent increase in its second weekend suggests that this movie will have legs and run successfully through the winter student recess. Jumanji and greatest showman both experienced similar second week bumps and went on to have a successful box office.

2 Mary 2 Poppins is also up for 4 Golden Globes, including best Musical/Comedy. If it becomes a major awards season nominee, that would also drive more interest in seeing the movie.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't think they have ever planned an E-ticket for this space. I don't see them planning it ever, imho, given the space available.

There's 1.6 acres available by taking over back stage stuff short of World Showplace. By comparison, Ratatouille only takes up 1.2 acres. The UK didn't take up all it's pad and the IG took over half a pad. That leaves a bit of space.

Next Big Thing

Sure...what fairly successful - but not smash movie property has resulted in a several hundred million dollar development and construction project since about the year 2003 or so? In a DOMESTIC park where disney actually pays the bills?

I’ll take a list
Umm... Tron is going to cost Disney north of $300M to build DOMESTICALLY. They're also building a Ratatouille attraction which is also costing them hundreds of millions to build. Somehow because something like those opened in other countries first, it doesn't count that Disney is still paying a huge sum stateside?

One could argue Avatar in the reverse case here. Avatar made a ton of money, but it had absolutely no fan base and no cultural relevancy until the land opened. That was a HUGE $800Mish risk.

nickys

Premium Member
Sure...what fairly successful - but not smash movie property has resulted in a several hundred million dollar development and construction project since about the year 2003 or so? In a DOMESTIC park where disney actually pays the bills?

I’ll take a list

Tron
Ratatouille
GotG

Depending on what you consider to be a smash hit, I guess. But none of these are what I’d call a massive success.

Lensman

It seems to me that IP/attraction synergy is maximized through a couple of different scenarios:
1. Big expansion with blockbuster IP that would draw people to the parks. Examples: Star Wars, Toy Story, initially Pandora but the long lapse between movies in the franchise is leading to the land providing as much synergy to the franchise as the movies themselves.
2. Single attraction added with IP that could use the long-term attention created by the attraction itself.

It seems to me that what you want to avoid is using IP that isn't attached to a franchise but that is just from a one-off movie. Rat might fall into this category, but maybe they are trying to create a franchise, either for sequels or simply for merchandising or TV or video follow-ups?

Anyway, I think that there are a lot of possible perspectives for this synergy, but I'm not sure that many in TWDC think that deeply about it anymore.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Rat might fall into this category, but maybe they are trying to create a franchise, either for sequels or simply for merchandising or TV or video follow-ups?

Rat falls into Francophilism and gustatorial attractions.

Disney has a park in France and would like to play up its Frenchiness to satisfy their national hosts. Thus, a Ratatouille attraction. That gets transplanted to the France Pavilion which is expanded with Rat and the Française overlay of the IG gondola station. And Remy becomes an excellent mascot for all things num num in Epcot.

Many of the classic synergies have one-off movies (e.g., Snow White, Peter Pan, etc...).

Buried20KLeague

Umm... Tron is going to cost Disney north of $300M to build DOMESTICALLY. They're also building a Ratatouille attraction which is also costing them hundreds of millions to build. Somehow because something like those opened in other countries first, it doesn't count that Disney is still paying a huge sum stateside?

One could argue Avatar in the reverse case here. Avatar made a ton of money, but it had absolutely no fan base and no cultural relevancy until the land opened. That was a HUGE $800Mish risk.

If it’s going to cost $300mil (which I would find very hard to believe) to build a clone of a ride a foreign county already paid for all the R&D on, that would be incredibly sad, and a microcosm of all that is wrong with the stateside parks these days.

That’s more than Everest cost. For a ride half as long. That mostly takes place in a warehouse.

If it’s not being done for half that, people absolutely should be fired. Likely many.

I think the only reason it’s being built is exactly because the price tag is cheap for what will be delivered. TDO isn’t building TRON because they’re swell people, or because they just HAVE to have the IP in the park. It wasn’t that successful a film.

jt04

If it’s going to cost $300mil (which I would find very hard to believe) to build a clone of a ride a foreign county already paid for all the R&D on, that would be incredibly sad, and a microcosm of all that is wrong with the stateside parks these days.

That’s more than Everest cost. For a ride half as long. That mostly takes place in a warehouse.

If it’s not being done for half that, people absolutely should be fired. Likely many.

I think the only reason it’s being built is exactly because the price tag is cheap for what will be delivered. TDO isn’t building TRON because they’re swell people, or because they just HAVE to have the IP in the park. It wasn’t that successful a film.

I think TDO is very reluctant to do much in the way of new attractions at the MK until the other 3 parks are more competitive numbers wise. I think Tron was probably dictated from Cali due to the 50th. A reasonable compromise that will also allow SM to be brought into this century technologically.

just a theory.

Buried20KLeague

I think TDO is very reluctant to do much in the way of new attractions at the MK until the other 3 parks are more competitive numbers wise. I think Tron was probably dictated from Cali due to the 50th. A reasonable compromise that will also allow SM to be brought into this century technologically.

just a theory.

I don’t have a problem with the decision. I enjoyed TRON a lot. Probably rode it 7ish times in two days... though the VERY short ride time was a problem, and I think it’ll even be magnified more at the MK.

Frankly, we enjoyed just standing under the canopy watching the light show and the launches as much as riding.

My problem is with the suggested price tag. I just don’t think there’s any way it’ll get to that sort of cost. Just no way. They’re breaking no ground with this. At all. It’s a very short coaster in a warehouse, with a grand canopy with a great light show... blueprints for all of which already existed. It’s tantamount to re-ordering everything a second time.

jt04

I don’t have a problem with the decision. I enjoyed TRON a lot. Probably rode it 7ish times in two days... though the VERY short ride time was a problem, and I think it’ll even be magnified more at the MK.

Frankly, we enjoyed just standing under the canopy watching the light show and the launches as much as riding.

My problem is with the suggested price tag. I just don’t think there’s any way it’ll get to that sort of cost. Just no way. They’re breaking no ground with this. At all. It’s a very short coaster in a warehouse, with a grand canopy with a great light show... blueprints for all of which already existed. It’s tantamount to re-ordering everything a second time.

I agree, no way it is costing 300M.

Next Big Thing

I'm just going off numbers Martin and others have given.

smile

Could that be for the TLand retheme also?

hhn.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom