News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Kman101

Looking back through this thread, I see a lot of speculation about a flat ride. But the various insiders haven't indicated one way or the other (at least as far as I can see). It seems to me from reading this forum and those who have a reliable reputation with rumors, that both options are still on the table....

I know it hasn't been said flat out (get it, wink wink LMAO) it's a flat ride; I just feel like it's the direction they're headed based on what's been posted in here. Martin did say it was one of the options, but didn't quite answer the question how I wanted him to. I guess to be fair to them, they haven't decided. It just feels like a flat ride is coming and I'm disappointed. But I'll try and be more hopeful. It just seemed to go from hope for a dark ride to the reality that it could be a flat ride. I guess a part of me is taking that as confirmation. I'll wait and see. But you'd think they could at least decide on something? LOL

jt04

I know it hasn't been said flat out (get it, wink wink LMAO) it's a flat ride; I just feel like it's the direction they're headed based on what's been posted in here. Martin did say it was one of the options, but didn't quite answer the question how I wanted him to. I guess to be fair to them, they haven't decided. It just feels like a flat ride is coming and I'm disappointed. But I'll try and be more hopeful. It just seemed to go from hope for a dark ride to the reality that it could be a flat ride. I guess a part of me is taking that as confirmation. I'll wait and see. But you'd think they could at least decide on something? LOL

I'm just of the opinion that if they do a dark ride later it might be magnitudes better. 100% speculation based on the removal or scaling back of the millennium tent.

Kman101

I'm just of the opinion that if they do a dark ride later it might be magnitudes better. 100% speculation based on the removal or scaling back of the millennium tent.

If only they'd remove the millenium tent. But they make money with it, I assume. It is a waste of a space though, but I guess to them it isn't, LOL.

And while unlikely, it's true they could revisit a ride later if they didn't put the rumored/alleged carousel on the expansion spot behind the UK. It's just hard to rally behind a flat ride being 'the choice' (should it so be; of course not confirmed yet). They know they need to do better than that. Give us both :)

jt04

If only they'd remove the millenium tent. But they make money with it, I assume. It is a waste of a space though, but I guess to them it isn't, LOL.

And while unlikely, it's true they could revisit a ride later if they didn't put the rumored/alleged carousel on the expansion spot behind the UK. It's just hard to rally behind a flat ride being 'the choice' (should it so be; of course not confirmed yet). They know they need to do better than that. Give us both :)

Definitely. Here is a topic nobody discusses but seems very relevant.

How much can Disney play dictator with World Showcase pavilions?

I would guess that is a major hurdle also.

Kman101

Definitely. Here is a topic nobody discusses but seems very relevant.

How much can Disney play dictator with World Showcase pavilions?

I would guess that is a major hurdle also.

I'm pretty sure they could do what they want with just about all of them. But I'm no expert. Japan and Morocco seem like they're more hands off so to speak. A sponsorship doesn't necessarily mean they own the pavilion. It's still Disney's owned and run park after all.

Rodan75

Aren’t the dancing cars and spinning aliens technically still flat rides? So even if this is a flat ride, it could be fun.

When we say flat ride I think the Aladdin spinner automatically, but there are other Disney rides in the stable they could use.

Who knows. Maybe it will be Mary Poppins’ SpinSanity

D5597A6A-E662-4753-AE46-BB65A8DCB846.jpeg

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Aren’t the dancing cars and spinning aliens technically still flat rides? So even if this is a flat ride, it could be fun.

When we say flat ride I think the Aladdin spinner automatically, but there are other Disney rides in the stable they could use.

Who knows. Maybe it will be Mary Poppins’ SpinSanity

View attachment 327569

Haha. Never know! Has a whiff of Six Flags about it.

Disney might would consider a Vekoma Madhouse which is sortof in the same ride family. At least that would be enclosed. I joked initially about a modern take on a Musik Express, still an insult to the IP but it could work if they themed the hell out of it. Of the flatride types available, there's really only a handful that "fit" the ideal Disney attraction and even those are a stretch. Most are not tame enough to be family friendly. And the ones that are are just so commonplace. I can see why Disney's go-to is a Spinner regardless of it being the butt of jokes within our fandom.

Honestly, not sure if the average park guest cares so long as little Timmy and Tiana can enjoy it. And it's clear that Epcot needs kiddie rides.
This IP definitely deserves better than a lowly Carousel but there's no denying that Epcot could use more flat rides.

We can always hope for more dark rides or something more thrilling. Not going to rule out a Poppin's Puke and Spin (Topsy Turvey?) but I have serious reservations. Disney's bread and butter is plain white bread spinners... but here's hoping we get something better!

peter11435

Haha. Never know! Has a whiff of Six Flags about it.

Disney might would consider a Vekoma Madhouse which is sortof in the same ride family. At least that would be enclosed. I joked initially about a modern take on a Musik Express, still an insult to the IP but it could work if they themed the hell out of it. Of the flatride types available, there's really only a handful that "fit" the ideal Disney attraction and even those are a stretch. Most are not tame enough to be family friendly. And the ones that are are just so commonplace. I can see why Disney's go-to is a Spinner regardless of it being the butt of jokes within our fandom.

Honestly, not sure if the average park guest cares so long as little Timmy and Tiana can enjoy it. And it's clear that Epcot needs kiddie rides.
This IP definitely deserves better than a lowly Carousel but there's no denying that Epcot could use more flat rides.

We can always hope for more dark rides or something more thrilling. Not going to rule out a Poppin's Puke and Spin (Topsy Turvey?) but I have serious reservations. Disney's bread and butter is plain white bread spinners... but here's hoping we get something better!
You joke but Disney’s already done their take on a Musik Express a couple times.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I will activate the signal

@marni1971
Sponsors have some say but the final decisions are usually down to TWDC. Japan has come close a few times to having an attraction, but has fallen through due to at that time still being sponsor dependent. As we’ve seen with Frozenstrom this isn’t always the case, and as we’ve seen with Brazil it can still be the case.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Are the Dancing cars considered a success now? I could see some ‘enchanted object’ or giant chimney sweep version of that instead of a spinner. It would have to be covered of course like Alien Saucers.

Although not sure WDW could get away with that attraction.

I agree. But the average guest... who knows? I mean it is* similar to a Carousel and other spinners.

We've seen Disney's attempt at theming a Musik Express before and with poor results, but much of that was due to the IP. I'd like to think WDI has the chops to make a decent C-ticket attraction using this flatride type. It's an interesting alternative to a more traditional carousel. And if not this IP, I'm sure a Musik Express (Caterpillar) style ride will find it's way into WDW in time. People tend to poo-poo carnival ride overlays and for good reason... they're done poorly. But in this instance (and if done right!) a Musik Express-styled Mary Go Round would trump a traditional Carousel especially if WDI enclosed it, added screenz, Sherman Bro songs and other embellishments. Armchair of course. It's no dark ride but it'd be better than a traditional merry go round.

Last edited:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Lol, dude, you SO jump all the time. Calm down. It's all in this thread and it's more than speculation. But no, it's not been officially confirmed. You really think they're giving us a dark ride? You have proof they will? My statement comes from those who have suggested it will be nothing more than flat ride. I don't just make stuff up and throw it out there, I talk from what I think I know based on this thread. Do people not read the entire thread? LOL.

Maybe they'll put in a pretty box and we can call it a dark ride?
To be fair, I’ve read this entire thread, and dozens of other entire threads, and things change daily/weekly/monthly, and threads go off on entirely unrelated tangents, and people disagree, and Martin is purposely vague, and I have a few people on ignore ... and the only thing I know for sure is that the gondolas AREN’T getting air conditioning.

MickeyMinnieMom

To be fair, I’ve read this entire thread, and dozens of other entire threads, and things change daily/weekly/monthly, and threads go off on entirely unrelated tangents, and people disagree, and Martin is purposely vague, and I have a few people on ignore ... and the only thing I know for sure is that the gondolas AREN’T getting air conditioning.
:hilarious: 👍

flyerjab

I don’t know. I feel like Mary Poppins Returns is going to make a boatload of money. This particular IP is - and has been - beloved by so many Disney fans that making a true classic dark ride is a no brainer. Recreate the street where the Banks house is and add a lamp lighter or chimney street dance performance and there you go.

mikejs78

Premium Member
So noticed a couple of Mary Poppins merch items on the shop Disney parks app, one of which includes “World Showcase.” May not mean anything but don’t remember seeing these or anything like it before.
Mary does have a M&G currently, so it could just be that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom