News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 ? Sorry to bug ya ... but isn't 'flat ride' the direction they're headed in? But to be fair Mike, it's been hard to keep up with this thread because it's gone back and forth from dark ride to carousel to people making tons of assumptions.

I feel like this won't come to pass either, for whatever reason. It seems, like Coco, they never felt confident on either. Just my assumption based on things said over time by our insiders.
It’s one of the proposals, yes.

Kman101

He did say “one of”, which certainly means there must be other proposals.

And we've heard they had several proposals. Dark ride, flat ride, etc. @MansionButler84 and @Rteetz at one point I thought said the direction was going dark ride (but I also feel like 'flat ride' was always heavily on the table, but please correct me if I'm wrong and I could be). But we've been so back and forth on this.

I mean, it's fairly obvious there's numerous ride proposals (BRAVE was a proposal too). I just wanted to know the current direction they were leaning strongly towards, not if it's one of the proposals, reading this thread I already know it is.

GlacierGlacier

All parks are built on a variety of attraction levels. Even Shanghai and DisneySea were built with spinners. Epcot needs more attractions, but it also needs more varied attractions. It used to be fine with communicore, WoL, and other small exhibits, but when only the E-tickets are left guests are forced to wait in line to do pretty much anything.

This would be a fine addition to help balance the park.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wasn't this thread supposed to be about a Mary Poppins ride coming to the UK pavilion. It has become a thread about Disney's business, the movie industry, corporation's control of the media, etc.

Let's do a reset: Is Disney adding a Mary Poppins ride to Epcot?

Widely speculated with zero proof at this point.

It’s part of a bigger picture...

so they rolled out - admittedly for me - ALOT in July 2017.
But it was viewed without context. And That context - with Star Wars and toy story and avatar - was that mismanagement caused them to actually lose ground competitively in Orlando. Which should be impossible. So they had to spend a lot to simply cover lost ground.

But that doesn’t mean they are “creators” again...so after 7/17 the rumor boards started going crazy with “what’s next ?!?!”

The answer was always likely to be: not much.
Rides cost money...and people come with them or without. So it’s basically PR shell Game now.

They want more attendance...but aren’t will to pay the overhead for it.

They want to be the undisputed leader in parks...but don’t want to sacrifice one nickel off their stock price at any given time.

Iger wants a legacy to last...but that’s secondary to the parachute he has on.

Poppins was part of an understandable - but silly zeal. They’re building a rat clone - key distinction - so WDI gets giddy and the vloggers started getting “tips” that UK and Mexico and everywhere else is getting a ride. Hopefully that comes...but the time and the money doesn’t make sense if you can wall off your emotions and think.

bclane

All parks are built on a variety of attraction levels. Even Shanghai and DisneySea were built with spinners. Epcot needs more attractions, but it also needs more varied attractions. It used to be fine with communicore, WoL, and other small exhibits, but when only the E-tickets are left guests are forced to wait in line to do pretty much anything.

This would be a fine addition to help balance the park.
I definitely agree with your point. We need more non E ticket rides to balance things out. What I’d like to see them build is an area that has several smaller scale rides dropped into park all at once...like what Dollywood is doing with their planned Wildwood Grove. Those plans look fantastic for only 37 million and should help bring down the crowds in other areas of the park. Having said that, I wish Disney would give Mary an E ticket because the IP deserves it imo and that movie was a large part of my childhood, but yeah, not everything needs to be an E.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
1). I asked for an argument rooted in a knowledge of cinema or artistic interpretation.
Well, some of us went to the Bob Iger School of Cinematic and Artistic Expression. Two big rules:
1) If we like the movie, as many do Mary Poppins, it's a "good movie."
2) If it makes lots of money and has obvious merchandising appeal, it's more likely to get a spot in one of Disney's theme parks.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I apologize for my contribution to hijacking this thread.

To go back to the topic, I wonder if Disney is waiting for the returns on the new Mary Poppins movie before they commit to an attraction.

Bocabear

Will Disney go with a Mary Poppins sing a long theatre with a couple of carousels? It would be two popular attractions.
God I hope not...That would be incredibly lame... The lack of attractions in World Showcase should be addressed, and a carousel and sing-along are a huge nothing burger... Did anyone ever pay over a hundred dollars to spend a percentage of their day at a sing along to film clips?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom