News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Haymarket2008

Just a thought about this...If the next movie is "successful" will there be a change of the meet & greet appearance of Mary herself or would they continue the same look from the original film?
mary-poppins-returns-emily-blunt-1520211134.jpg

I feel that it will go down the Maleficent route in terms of the "new look". She may come out in the Returns clothes, but it just isn't iconic enough to last. I doubt they would make a permanent change, imho.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I know that our insiders have said this is still coming, but Disney is certainly taking their time with an announcement. Unless the Fox deal took the budget away.
Actually, all those cancellations after they implemented resort parking fees lowered their anticipated revenue so much they had to kill Mary Poppins (the ride, not the character) and raise prices on character breakfasts by 10%.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I love how it feels like so many projects seem to go..

Build ride so it is ready for release of movie... change plans... procrastinate... wait for box office success... movie beats expectations/meets expecatatinos/is below expectations... move on to future movie release as moment has passed.

Yeah, it’s almost like the people in charge don’t know what they’re doing.

rle4lunch

I love how it feels like so many projects seem to go..

Build ride so it is ready for release of movie... change plans... procrastinate... wait for box office success... movie beats expectations/meets expecatatinos/is below expectations... move on to future movie release as moment has passed.

I don't know if they care too much about box office success; case in point, Tron Legacy... (and the original Tron for that matter). Both were subpar performers. I think in Tron's case it's probably 3 things, 1. Popularity of the existing ride 2. Cheaper to clone 3. "Fits" TL aesthetic.

cjkeating

I don't know if they care too much about box office success; case in point, Tron Legacy... (and the original Tron for that matter). Both were subpar performers. I think in Tron's case it's probably 3 things, 1. Popularity of the existing ride 2. Cheaper to clone 3. "Fits" TL aesthetic.

I believe Tron was built for Shanghai as Tron 3 was due to open around the time however due to Tomorrowland flopping Tron 3 was pulled.

Also going back I think Tron was originally due to built after Tron 2 but after that didn't do as well as expected that also got pulled.

Be it on film or in parks Tron always seems to have a tough time but makes it in the end.

Rodan75

The visual identity of Tron is far more successful than Tron as a movie franchise. I think that visual identity plus what you have stated cemented it's ability to be cloned and move to the MK. I wouldn't be surprised to see it cloned in one more park.

BEARSHOUSE4

In a vaccuum, there is nothing inherently wrong with screens if they are the best way to tell a ride's story. The problem Universal runs into is having the screen based ride system mirrored with a different theme. Because they do this so often and across both parks the screen fatigue sets in. Nearly every new attraction has had a simulator component to it which becomes problematic. Disney runs the risk of this also taking hold. Take a look at the 10 rides in development at Disney and the 4 that have opened in the last 15 months:
  • Flight of Passage - Screens are the primary driver of story
  • Na'vi River Journey - Screens are secondary driver of story
  • Slinky Dog Dash - No Screens
  • Alien Swirling Saucers - No screens
  • Battle Attraction - Screens are secondary driver of story
  • Millinnium Falcon Attraction - Screens are the primary driver of story
  • Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway - Screens/projections are a secondary driver of story (could be primary, TBD)
  • Ratatouille - Screens are the primary driver of story
  • Guardians of the Galaxy - Screens are the primary driver of story
  • Tron - Screens are the primary driver of story

Say what??? There are parts of MMRR that are undesigned? TBD on the use of screens? What's the holdup?

Phicinfan

@marni1971 Not too long ago, you intimated that the IP may be in question again for this ride. I believe it was you that is, can you give us any more insight on if this is still to be Mary Poppins?

justintheharris

So when is Disney going to officially announce the development of this new ride? If it has a likely opening date of early 2021, isn't it getting a little late for Disney to not even having announced plans?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom