News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

MichRX7

Premium Member
Look, I've re-evaluated and am now throwing this IP out as a long shot contender...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075016/

Seriously... Disney, think about this one. You could even have it start in the China pavilion as a prequel to the main attraction in the UK.

I'm totally making the grandkids watch this Christmas Eve. Eat your heart out Jackie Chan!

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
That’s not the point of a rumors board. That would be the confirmed truths board. With experience you’ll get a great feel for who to follow and who to ignore...like I am right now.

Reading between the lines on previous posts and other threads, he knows full well who to follow. Either he has some personal issue with one or two of "our" respected posters, or he's choosing to be obtuse. He appears to have a past history on this board under another name.

I don't like the ignore feature, mainly because it can make threads difficult to follow at times, but I am trying hard to refuse to be riled any further, so as not to feed one of those mythical Norse creatures who inhabit the internet.

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

Do you think they could bring back The Great Mouse Detective in the UK some way?

Too outdated/not enough praise/etc.?...

Edit: Just noticed I said bring back, like it was there in World Showcase to begin with. I don't think it ever was, unless there were small references to it at some point.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Do you think they could bring back The Great Mouse Detective in the UK some way?

Edit: Just noticed I said bring back, like it was there in World Showcase to begin with. I don't think it ever was, unless there were small references to it at some point.
Oh how I desperately wish they would, but I think you’re right to think it’s a non-entity to Disney at this point.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

No cross sell IP potential..:aka no giftshop stuff

wdwgreek

Marry Poppins is incredibly educational when looked at through the right lense. In the post Victorian era, Britan was at its arguable apex of power. But this power representing over a qauter of the globe was precarious. Turn of the century Britain was known as the weary titan. Mr banks is our stand in for the empire, weary, skeptical of change, indecisive. Mrs banks represents the progressivism of the 20th century which litteraly has invaded the home and mind of women everywhere. Finally the children the inheritors of the burden, yet they want to be free; jane and Micheal generation will live through two world wars and at their late middle age see the fall of an Empire. Collectively marry poppins is a symbol of not only nestolgia, but in my view durability. She refocused me. Banks on what matters most family, and tradition while important only goes so far as to preserve those you love, change is not a bad thing
Generally travelers books recall Britan at the height of its power, nostalgic idealism whic still wasn't quite practically perfect in everyway. Perhaps that is why we need a flying magic nanny to remind us of what family means and in the British context she reflects a solution to socital anxties. At least this is a washed up law students perspective. Also I Can go on about how it is a near perfect movie musical.

Frizzball

My problem with Mary Poppins is that it is so locked in to the upper middle class la di da representation of a london centric Britain that I had hoped the pavilion would begin to move away from. I also have problems with the nostalgia aspect when it is being used to glorify certain aspects of British history that I believe need better more sensitive context than a theme park attraction. Sure Britain had power but it came at the expense of countless atrocities committed against countless communities. I liked Brave for the ride because it's expression of Scottish mythology was about as non problematic as British history gets and arguably fit much better with the edutainment aspect the park should be sticking to. If we can't have Brave I'm pulling for Sword in the Stone. Of course if Disney weren't so set on pushing an IP focus I'm sure they could produce something that fit much better than any of these; maybe something that focused on Britain's inventors and their contribution to the march towards modernisation or a ride through the stories of the individual nations patron saints?

Britain is honestly a tricky pull for a ride: our individual mythologies don't much influence our current society in the way many other cultures experience, we have very few unifying cultural threads and huge chunks of our history are ghastly to the point of offensive. Great swathes of IP's could fit if the only defining factor was location, but if we want any shred of edutainment that number dwindles down drastically. I see this ride going more the way of the Rat in France than Coco in Mexico when it comes to that factor but I'm still preparing to cringe if what is used to represent us falls in to the misguided nostalgia trap that Poppins would present.

Last edited:

smile

not only has edutainment been long reduced to a happy coincidence...
it will also largely continue as such for the foreseeable future.
:bored:

raymusiccity

I don't get the love affair with Poppins. Sure, it's a classic. But the second half is nearly unwatchable and hardly takes place in a visual landscape setting worthy of World Showcase.

I can't "Like" this enough. Classic Disney. and a Practically Perfect addition!

It's puzzling how there's such a love affair with Mary Poppins, with hardly any criticism about the interminably long running time. These same 'critics' jumped all over a 20 minute 'short' playing before Coco.

HauntedMansionFLA

It's puzzling how there's such a love affair with Mary Poppins, with hardly any criticism about the interminably long running time. These same 'critics' jumped all over a 20 minute 'short' playing before Coco.
The 1960’s was a different time compared what we live in today. People can’t seem to not be able to put down their phones or tablets. I witness this everywhere. I can’t comment on the Frozen short because I didn’t see it. Society seems to focus on the negative- people feed off off it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom