News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

MerlinTheGoat

That's funny, because I generally don't go around insulting people who like the things that I don't. Also, if a handicapped person getting on the Haunted Mansion causes me a minor inconvenience (which it hasn't), I accept it with grace and dignity instead of complaining about it.
I must have missed this particular conversation. But to clarify, are we talking about actual handicapped people who have some sort of actual disability? Or was the complaint about the large quantity of morbidly obese rude people on scooters? The former absolutely deserves respect, patience and compassion. The latter does not.

Merida is probably the most popular princess with boys....my son and I always thought she was pretty cool. I think its a solid IP for a new ride.
She's a very cool character in concept and I love her design. I was looking forward to the movie based on trailers and had hoped for another Mulan. That was until I saw the movie itself, she ended up being a wholly unlikable character. Probably the only female Disney lead I actively dislike (have yet to see Moana). My favorite Disney girl in terms of character is Mulan, so I was extremely disappointed with Merida.

Still a potentially cool setting for a ride though.

Matt_Black

I must have missed this particular conversation. But to clarify, are we talking about actual handicapped people who have some sort of actual disability?

He's talking about how they have to stop the ride in order to load handicapped guests onto the attraction, and how that ruins the immersion for him.

Jones14

Well, let's narrow this down. Assuming it's Brave, they're not limited by the IP, as she's only appeared in shows, parades, and meet and greets.

LPS is out, as Martin said there will be 3 at WDW, and we know what those three are.

A rollercoaster seems unlikely, what with all the hubbub over Guardians being Epcot's first.

A simulator also seems unlikely; Disney has yet to build a pure simulator based on their animated movies (Rat and Toy Story Mania being the closest).

Realistically, that leaves boat rides (including flumes), omnimovers, and busbar-style dark rides. There are other ride systems at WDW, but none really fit the IP (The Merida Will'o'Wisp Tower of Motherly Terror, anyone?) well outside of these three.

I'm inclined to lean towards the busbar. Brave doesn't utilize water very much, and a boat ride would continue to skew World Showcase in favor of boat rides. An omnimover doesn't really allow for an adventurous feel, and if Martin's happy with this, I don't see it being a book report ride in the vein of Mermaid. That leaves busbar, which Disney still seems to be investing in (Winnie the Pooh just opened with Shanghai Disneyland), has enough range of motion to pull off some fun tricks (back to Winnie the Pooh, which floats, bounces, and drifts on the track), and is Disney's go-to for their animated IP's.

bclane

I must have missed this particular conversation. But to clarify, are we talking about actual handicapped people who have some sort of actual disability? Or was the complaint about the large quantity of morbidly obese rude people on scooters? The former absolutely deserves respect, patience and compassion. The latter does not.

She's a very cool character in concept and I love her design. I was looking forward to the movie based on trailers and had hoped for another Mulan. That was until I saw the movie itself, she ended up being a wholly unlikable character. Probably the only female Disney lead I actively dislike (have yet to see Moana). My favorite Disney girl in terms of character is Mulan, so I was extremely disappointed with Merida.

Still a potentially cool setting for a ride though.

lol at the woman in the scooter sitting on her horn. I wonder if she's related to the person that repeatedly ran into me with one of those scooters after HEA this past summer. I guess I don't blame folks like her as clearly they are the most important people in the world and the rest of us are just messing up their groove. I feel terrible that my achilles' tendons kept blocking her way through the crowd. I'm so ashamed of myself.

Casper Gutman

Well, let's narrow this down. Assuming it's Brave, they're not limited by the IP, as she's only appeared in shows, parades, and meet and greets.

LPS is out, as Martin said there will be 3 at WDW, and we know what those three are.

A rollercoaster seems unlikely, what with all the hubbub over Guardians being Epcot's first.

A simulator also seems unlikely; Disney has yet to build a pure simulator based on their animated movies (Rat and Toy Story Mania being the closest).

Realistically, that leaves boat rides (including flumes), omnimovers, and busbar-style dark rides. There are other ride systems at WDW, but none really fit the IP (The Merida Will'o'Wisp Tower of Motherly Terror, anyone?) well outside of these three.

I'm inclined to lean towards the busbar. Brave doesn't utilize water very much, and a boat ride would continue to skew World Showcase in favor of boat rides. An omnimover doesn't really allow for an adventurous feel, and if Martin's happy with this, I don't see it being a book report ride in the vein of Mermaid. That leaves busbar, which Disney still seems to be investing in (Winnie the Pooh just opened with Shanghai Disneyland), has enough range of motion to pull off some fun tricks (back to Winnie the Pooh, which floats, bounces, and drifts on the track), and is Disney's go-to for their animated IP's.
I'm still not sure why we are thinking in terms of anything as major as a dark ride - hints earlier in the thread seemed to point heavily to a flat.

I also don't think Brave (if it is Brave) fits a dark ride - back in the day, Imagineers tried to develop a Robin Hood dark ride and realized it was all rock walls and forests, with none of the required variety of setting. Brave falls into the same exact trap.

So... my bet would be a Luigi's style flat ride. I'd suggest its far enough from the other LPS rides to qualify as a different system. If it is Brave, which just seems so bonkers with the current Scottish political situation... why would WDW do that?

Fox&Hound

Not. At. All.

Merida is nothing more than a tired assertive-woman trope who looks like a Cabbage Patch Kid. The rest of her family is boring, her bratty brothers aren't funny, and the Brother Bear storyline is a stumper - I mean, really, Pixar? Nobody in the crew ever said, "Uh, this plot line is awfully similar to that underwhelming Bear movie"...? Plus there's the scene where Merida gives her mother that potion and her mother drinks it and has a violent reaction like she's been poisoned and Merida doesn't bat an eyelash but starts complaining about getting married. God what a terrible personality. The least of the Disney princesses - which IMO is Aurora - is more appealing than her.

I agree. I find Merida to be very unlikeable and still fail to see how anything she did in the movie could be considered brave. Buuuuuut, I still have confidence that they can make this into a great ride.

britain

Wow, my little girl had a great idea: A Brave carousel, with bows built into the poles, and an arrow like trigger mechanism to “shoot” at the festive targets around the spinner. I see some holes in her idea, but it’s definitely an inventive way to add archery style interactivity to a very simple ride.

#prouddad

Fox&Hound

I'm still not sure why we are thinking in terms of anything as major as a dark ride - hints earlier in the thread seemed to point heavily to a flat.

I also don't think Brave (if it is Brave) fits a dark ride - back in the day, Imagineers tried to develop a Robin Hood dark ride and realized it was all rock walls and forests, with none of the required variety of setting. Brave falls into the same exact trap.

So... my bet would be a Luigi's style flat ride. I'd suggest its far enough from the other LPS rides to qualify as a different system. If it is Brave, which just seems so bonkers with the current Scottish political situation... why would WDW do that?

Sadly, I agree. I would love a dark ride but I fear it will be some kind of flat ride/scrambler/spinner.

DisneyFan18

Sadly, I agree. I would love a dark ride but I fear it will be some kind of flat ride/scrambler/spinner.
I believe that all of that was ruled out (I'm only certain about it not being a spinner) if my memory doesn't fail me(@MisterPenguin please correct me if I'm wrong)... Since it's supposed to be what Grand Fiesta Tour (soon to be Coco) is to Frozen Ever After, I would expect to be something well themed so I wouldn't discard the idea of a Dark Ride at all. And also we have to take in account that Martin likes the proposal, so it will definitely be a good ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom