Anna and Elsa Moving to Fairy Tale Hall

TomHendricks

With the talk of glitch with FP+ for Elsa & Anna, I just logged in to make sure ours are fine. Yup, Monday May 19th 2pm to 3pm. I'm so happy I was able to get the FP+ for them...

jt04

I should know better than to even reply, but you know that article is about 2014 box office - not 2009, when the abysmal Christmas Carol flop was given the better release date and all of Disney's holiday marketing might, right? Instead of Princess and the Frog, which was unceremoniously dumped in a mid-December release date just a few days before some big movie...what was it called?

Oh yeah. AVATAR.

I'm pretty sure if Disney could do it over again, they would have bet their hand on Tiana rather than a creepy mo-cap Jim Carrey movie, and given her the early November release date to avoid Twilight and AVATAR - because that's what any thinking person would do.

Just like in 2000, when Disney did the EXACT same thing with Emperor's New Groove, a movie that despite being dumped mid-December with little marketing, actually increased it's box office week over week, defying expectations. Imagine what could have happened if they actually promoted it instead of 102 Dalmatians, a movie nobody wanted to see?

Disney has regularly botched its animation release dates over the past few years - Bolt premiered against the first Twilight. Frog, as mentioned above, got the shaft. Tangled was released just a few days before Harry Potter 7 - it certainly would have benefitted from a better lead time against the boy wizard. Winnie the Pooh was released the same day as Harry Potter 8, with zero marketing, ensuring a complete flop.

Ralph and Frozen were the first WDAS releases in years to get decent release dates, and finally with Frozen, the combination of great content, perfect timing and (eventually) clever marketing made it an unparalleled success.

And now everybody and their mom can't wait to stand in line for three hours to meet Anna and Elsa. Poor Aurora, she's just there to fill space.

As I have said many times it takes time to change a corporation. You can't just go in fire everyone and start everything fresh. People have established fiefdoms, complicated alliances and leverage they use against change. PatF was a project of the new regime. It set a benchmark for what was to be. That Carrey project was connected to the old way of doing things. Even if it was green lit under Iger it was still not touched by the Pixar style of management.

Aurora will be reimagined and relaunched at some point I'd guess. Even princesses are subject to market business cycles.

Last edited:

jmmc

Wow, that wait time... And the article suggests wait times were 5 hours at one point? Does that mean people are getting fast passes to see them? I can't imagine someone is actually standing in line for 5 hours!

Even 2 and a half hours is ridiculous, but I think that even for a regular ride. I'm sure it's difficult to convince your excited little girl that it's not worth waiting for character photos like that, but it'd be tough to for me to agree to that wait.

jt04

Wow, that wait time... And the article suggests wait times were 5 hours at one point? Does that mean people are getting fast passes to see them? I can't imagine someone is actually standing in line for 5 hours!

Even 2 and a half hours is ridiculous, but I think that even for a regular ride. I'm sure it's difficult to convince your excited little girl that it's not worth waiting for character photos like that, but it'd be tough to for me to agree to that wait.

It is not like I have not been saying the demand would overwhelm supply in the FLE. For years actually. It is all about participation now.

EricJ

Aurora will be reimagined and relaunched at some point I'd guess. Even princesses are subject to market business cycles.

Uh, yeah, like maybe, re-releasing her Blu-ray next spring, to cash in on certain expired-trend Angelina Jolie movies?...

Another release date botch- putting Atlantis the Lost Empire against Tomb Raider. "I don't think young boys are REALLY going to want to see a gun-toting Angelina Jolie running around in a T-shirt and short shorts, do you?"

Actually, we sorta wanted to see Kida or Helga run around in a T-shirt and shorts-- We did NOT want to spend the first 45 minutes being surrounded by a bunch of deranged unlikable lunatics, and watch Moliere or Audrey school-bully Milo two-for-flinching. An explanation of what the foggy blue heck happened in the last thirty minutes of the plot would have helped nicely, too.
FTR, Angie tanked rather notoriously that year, too. The Massacre of Summer '01 left a lot of studios shaken.

(At least it spared us Pressler's proposed "movie synergy" Atlantis makeover of 20,000 Leagues, although I'll have to preserve my M&G photos with Kida for posterity. :)
Good thing somebody else did.

Last edited:

PARichards

So has anyone used FP+ to meet A&E? @kennygman was predicting hour-long waits even with FP+ over at his site. Just wondering how accurate that turned out to be.

Yes, PLEASE, *this* needs answered. What are the FP+ waits like? I'm taking 4 girls, ages 4-8 in September, and can guarantee we will be trying FP+, to keep the pressure off the RD dash. As we will be doing MK on 3 separate days, 1 full day, 2 different half-days, it'd be nice to know how to plan our touring around the A&E MG (provided we even get the FP+). The drama of it all...

AndyS2992

I still can't help but feel this is another temporary solution.
Of course, expect another MK expansion announcement shortly announcing Frozen Land which will include a Matterhornesque coaster, an elaborate M&G and a store and spa based on the one in the movie.

Expect an opening date of 2024. :rolleyes:

Lol but yeah, it really hasn't been thought through too well.

aladdin2007

I still can't help but feel this is another temporary solution.

Yeah agree, I think it depends on whether or not they move ahead on the new princess pavilion between Mexico and Norway, but whether thats been dropped all together or just on hold not sure. Last I read on here it was def on hold. Or maybe if something is done at the Studios with Frozen instead but dont see anything like that happening for awhile.

aladdin2007

Of course, expect another MK expansion announcement shortly announcing Frozen Land which will include a Matterhornesque coaster, an elaborate M&G and a store and spa based on the one in the movie.

Expect an opening date of 2024. :rolleyes:

Lol but yeah, it really hasn't been thought through too well.

lol 2024 is being too nice, try 2034 lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom