Animal Kingdom & the 50th Anniversary

Rteetz

Vulture said it. Other sites are repeating what Vulture said. So, I wouldn't characterize one source as swirling. Unless you know of another site that has a source that isn't linked back to Vulture?

However, one of our insiders said an enigmatic "well I've heard this." So, maybe maybe?
As the one who said "well I've heard this", I want to clarify a little bit. I have heard it that an attraction and dining experience is a plan for a possible expansion. It has not been approved yet of course and it may never be. Personally Pandora could use another attraction to help the take the load off the current two rides but then again there is so much going on or coming to WDW I don't know if they would be so quick to add it.

jt04

Given the fact that FOP has been so well received, I think it makes more sense to wait.

If anything they might add 2 new theaters to FOP, like they did with Soarin, if FOP is still really popular in a year or so. I'd be surprised if they expanded Pandora anytime soon other than that. It makes more sense to diversify and build something else elsewhere in AK.

Much rather see money spent elsewhere or Pandora expansion pad. A 5th and 6th theater for FoP will not be necessary once Tron, SWL, TSL and GotG opens. IMO.

No Name

I noticed the entrance map at least acknowledges the expansion pad. That doesn't remotely mean it will ever happen, but there is certainly some sort of desire. At least enough desire to make it an easter egg on the in park map.

View attachment 222125

Where does it acknowledge an expansion pad?

Any feasible additions would likely be near the current showbuilings (shown in shadows by the the word "AYIKRAM") or by the river between Pandora and Africa. Here's a picture.

IMG_1205.JPG

Last edited:

Timothy_Q

Where does it acknowledge an expansion pad?

Any feasible additions would be near the current showbuilings (shown in shadows by the the word "AYIKRAM") or by the river between Pandora and Africa. I'll add a picture to show what I'm talking about.

The area title "Closed Refinery"

Where the third planned attraction was initially going.
Where the cast parking now is

Lots of rumors swirling from sites like Vulture saying there is talk of expanding Pandora already with another attraction and restaurant. Not a hugely reputable site but just thought I'd share as other random sites have started to pick up this rumor and run with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there an earlier plan for Pandora that was supposed to be larger than what was built? Could this (if accurate) just be another phase of what they were planning to build initially, but then scaled back? I feel like there was at least a third ride rumored...

No Name

The area title "Closed Refinery"

Where the third planned attraction was initially going.
Where the cast parking now is

No no. Take a look at Google Earth or something.

The third attraction would've gone near the other two, by the word "AYIKRAM." Where the cast parking is. Not in front of the park, in the middle of the regular parking lot.

Timothy_Q

No no. Take a look at Google Earth or something.

The third attraction would've gone near the other two, by the word "AYIKRAM." Where the cast parking is. Not in front of the park, in the middle of the regular parking lot.

We're talking about the exact same spot. The cast parking

That's where the "Closed Refinery" refers to in the map. It's just drawn larger cause it's a fake map

No Name

We're talking about the exact same spot. The cast parking

That's where the "Closed Refinery" refers to in the map. It's just drawn larger cause it's a fake map

No. You are completely wrong. I didn't think I'd need to do a color-coded comparison, but here:

yellow - Satul'i Canteen
orange - existing showbuiling
red - cast parking
green - "closed refinery" on the fake map

You are claiming that the green area is cast parking / expansion. The red area is.

image.jpg

image.jpeg

tagging @Derrit @YodaMan
And the outlines aren't prestine, I'm no artist. You get the idea.

Last edited:

Bairstow

There was originally going to be 3 attractions, (I believe the River Journey and FOP, and the third was to be some sort of Flying coaster). But i believe this was before a budget was given for Pandora.

Yep. There was a lot of back in forth in terms of what was and wasn't expected to be built there. For the longest time, it was a SUPER CONFIRMED RUMOR that the river boat ride had been axed and only the Soarin-type ride would be built.

Timothy_Q

No. You are completely wrong. I didn't think I'd need to do a color-coded comparison, but here:.

Ok buddy, settle down on the condescension.

I'm just talkng about where things are in the storyline, versus where the actual showbuilding actually is.
It's an artistic map meant to be part of the story of the land, not an actual GPS map.

Just like how Indiana Jones is shown inside Adventureland, even though the ride is outside the train tracks.

Again, we're saying basically the same thing, that the cast parking is the expansion pad.
But you're really set on wanting to prove how wrong I am. Relax, I know what AK looks like from google earth.

Spike-in-Berlin

Because MK has significantly less rides than its Disneyland counterpart, so you have massive queues for rides like Winnie The Pooh, Peter Pan & Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. The park needs significant capacity since it being the number 1 park cannot change. When TRON opens, there won't even been an E-ticket added in 27 years!!!! In fact, 20K Leagues Under The Sea was removed so we are in a deficit. That is a massive problem. MK needs expansion as do the other parks for capacity. But what they are doing currently is they are adding IPs that can draw people into the other parks. TRON as a ride will, but not too many people love TRON the IP.

Although I actually love TRON (the original movie, the sequel was disappointing, don't know the animated series though) I believe the unique character of the ride on light cycles will appeal to MANY guests that don't exactly like TRON or even know the movie at all.

UpAllNight

This is opening for the 50th, and a few years after Star Wars. If anything Tron doesn't go anywhere near far enough for the absolute onslaught the parks will be getting this year, with or without investment. There is going to be one hell of a marketing blitz.

KrazyKat

Would be nice if they replaced the dragon (from the never completed Beastly Kingdom) on the sign with an Avatar Banshee that is actually there now.

IMG_5830.JPG

PS- I'm still holding out hope one day for a BK whether it's at AK or maybe the 5th gate;)

crxbrett

Although I actually love TRON (the original movie, the sequel was disappointing, don't know the animated series though) I believe the unique character of the ride on light cycles will appeal to MANY guests that don't exactly like TRON or even know the movie at all.

Definitely. I also love the original TRON and thought Legacy was just okay. But you are right in that even guests who have no idea what TRON is will want to ride it. It's a visually cool looking attraction as well as being a thrill ride. Both equal a super popular attraction. Tower of Terror falls into that same category. Even people who do not have a clue what the Twilight Zone is can enjoy it for the incredible theming and visuals as well as the thrill aspect of it.

No Name

Would be nice if they replaced the dragon (from the never completed Beastly Kingdom) on the sign with an Avatar Banshee that is actually there now.

View attachment 223088

PS- I'm still holding out hope one day for a BK whether it's at AK or maybe the 5th gate;)

I think the sign change would be unneccesary. They didn't change it to a yeti in 2006, likewise, there's no reason to change it to a banshee in 2017.

And on that note, I really don't think Beastly Kingdom would fit DAK well anymore. That was originally supposed to be the land of mythical animals, but it died when Everest was built. Not that that's a bad thing. I think a dragon ride in Asia and a unicorn attraction in a new Europe land would be fantastic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom