Animal Kingdom & the 50th Anniversary

djkidkaz

Original Poster
So obviously we know that Epcot and Studios are getting numerous upgrades and additions over the next few years with some of that being lumped in as part of the 50th celebration enhancements. MK is getting Tron and whatever else they have yet to announce. And we have new resorts and transportation.

The only park that really is untouched in regards to having something for the 50th is Animal Kingdom. Pandora will already be 5 years old by then. I don't recall even seeing any rumors for AK but they have to be working on something, right?

I could potentially see some major changes to Rivers of Light. It would be nice to have another new land or even a new, exciting animal exhibit like Pandas.

So any rumors or inside info on what's next for Animal Kingdom for the 50th?

CJR

Zootopia seems like it would have needed to be announced already. Unless they planned Universal-like construction, Zootopia seems unlikely before 2021. Perhaps it'd be smaller than I picture it, but when I hear Zootopia, I picture one massive land.

If anything comes to AK, my money's on Dinoland, but I'm not holding my breath for it to happen before 2021. It'd be nice though.

RMichael21

I'm guessing the 50th would be from October 2021 to October 2022, so essentially they could still announce something as late as the end of 2018 and start in early 2019 to be open by 2022.
DL's 60th began Memorial Day of 2015 and lasted until September of 2016, so that's a good 16 months. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the 50th begins sometime in May-June 2021 and lasted until around the 51st.

Disone

So obviously we know that Epcot and Studios are getting numerous upgrades and additions over the next few years with some of that being lumped in as part of the 50th celebration enhancements. MK is getting Tron and whatever else they have yet to announce. And we have new resorts and transportation.

The only park that really is untouched in regards to having something for the 50th is Animal Kingdom. Pandora will already be 5 years old by then. I don't recall even seeing any rumors for AK but they have to be working on something, right?

I could potentially see some major changes to Rivers of Light. It would be nice to have another new land or even a new, exciting animal exhibit like Pandas.

So any rumors or inside info on what's next for Animal Kingdom for the 50th?
I have also been wondering about this. In four and a half years from now, which park is going to need a new major attraction: the Magic Kingdom or Disney's Animal Kingdom? In my opinion the Magic Kingdom even without Tron will still be the number one most visited park at Walt Disney World four and a half years from now. As such it will be Animal Kingdom that could use a new attraction for the 50th not Magic Kingdom. I'm excited for Tron but I do question why they're putting it in the park that is already the busiest in quite honestly does not need to attract any more guests to that Park.

Daveeeeed

I have also been wondering about this. In four and a half years from now, which park is going to need a new major attraction: the Magic Kingdom or Disney's Animal Kingdom? In my opinion the Magic Kingdom even without Tron will still be the number one most visited park at Walt Disney World four and a half years from now. As such it will be Animal Kingdom that could use a new attraction for the 50th not Magic Kingdom. I'm excited for Tron but I do question why they're putting it in the park that is already the busiest in quite honestly does not need to attract any more guests to that Park.
Because MK has significantly less rides than its Disneyland counterpart, so you have massive queues for rides like Winnie The Pooh, Peter Pan & Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. The park needs significant capacity since it being the number 1 park cannot change. When TRON opens, there won't even been an E-ticket added in 27 years!!!! In fact, 20K Leagues Under The Sea was removed so we are in a deficit. That is a massive problem. MK needs expansion as do the other parks for capacity. But what they are doing currently is they are adding IPs that can draw people into the other parks. TRON as a ride will, but not too many people love TRON the IP.

Last edited:

Kamikaze

DL's 60th began Memorial Day of 2015 and lasted until September of 2016, so that's a good 16 months. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the 50th begins sometime in May-June 2021 and lasted until around the 51st.

18 month celebrations were once the norm at WDW. A few went even longer. The 25th went 14 months I believe.

Disneyland's 60th went from May 2015 to Sept 2016, so 18 months. Thats the most recent comparable we have. DLR's 50th was also 18 months.

As for DAK - I believe one of the insiders said something was planned for the 50th.

Disone

It's a major new e-ticket it could be called squat... it will draw Millions more people to already the busiest park at Walt Disney World.

How Magic Kingdom continues to beat Disneyland on annual attendance when Disneyland has so much more to offer is it completely different topic but I do completely agree with you on that point. Regardless it has gotten to the point that mk imo does not need any new attractions because doing so is only going to draw more people to the park. Do you think that when Tron opens the park was suddenly feel less crowded because it's capacity issues will be fixed? I highly doubt it. It may increase the ride capacity of the park but it will not be enough to offset the feeling that the park is even more crowded... again.

The best strategy here is to draw millions of more people to the other three parks. Even at the expense of Magic Kingdom. Let It Drop a few million guests. That will fix the capacity problem. As long as the other three parts make up for that drop Walt Disney World total attendance will go up. Guess satisfaction will also go up because they will be in a park that is not so jam-packed. In other words get total visits to Walt Disney World to go up by increasing the demand and the popularity of the other three parks.

doctornick

Some insiders around here are saying that Dinoland might be receiving some updates, mostly to replace Chester and Hester's.

I remember @marni1971 making a comment that most of what is being built for the 50th has been announced and was then questioned if DAK was thus not getting anything else to which he responded that it should get something by the 50th. I don't remember the thread though as it was off topic so it could be any number of threads.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom