American Idol!

SpongeScott

dxwwf3 said:
As I said before, after just listening to it (without watching) it didn't seem nearly as bad to me. Still the worst of the show, but not as bad as it was when you actually had to watch it.

http://www.googlx.com/idolforever/media/mp3/kell-a-042506.mp3
I did only listen to it. I think I was doing a crossword puzzle at the time and my wife was in another room folding clothes. She kept yelling out every time she went off pitch. Any way you slice it, it was painful.

Now, put her in a studio where you can fix mistakes, give her voice a new mix, airbrush her CD cover, and you've got a bombshell country singer.

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
I think we can rule out the Natasha Bedingfield song since Ayla did it and got kicked off. Simon said it wasn't her, it was the song. And after Lisa did the Kelly Clarkson song and got booted, even though it was a different song someone else might be reluctant to try it.

I do think that Chris doing the Staind song is a pretty good bet. Elliott doing the James Blunt song is probably a good bet too. After listening to the Cascada song I think it would be interesting to see Katharine tackle it, although she probably will go after the Kelly Clarkson song. Paris probably could do the Mary J. Blige song. That leaves Taylor. No idea. By process of elimination, that leaves him for "Bad Day." He could do it, but he wouldn't be the usual Taylor while he sang it. It should be an interesting show.

BRER STITCH

How fun would it be if they had to choose the song that was NUMBER ONE from the DAY they were born!?!?!?

If they did that, these are the songs they would have to sing...and some of them are pretty funny!!!: :lol:

CHRIS DAUGHTRY- Escape (The Pina Colada Song) - Rupert Holmes
12/26/1979

ELLIOTT YAMIN- Shadow Dancing - Andy Gibb
7/20/1978

KATHARINE MCPHEE- Footloose - Kenny Loggins
3/25/1984

PARIS BENNETT- Dont Worry Be Happy - Bobby McFerrin
9/23/1988

TAYLOR HICKS- A Fifth Of Beethoven - Walter Murphy & The Big Apple Band
10/6/1976

I guess since A Fifth of Beethoven was an instrumental, TAYLOR could always do some interpretive dance??? :lol:

hcswingfield

BRER STITCH said:
YIKES!!!! :eek:

One can only hope the TOP TEN takes a drastic change before the songs are selected!!!

Most of that list, IMO, is CARP! :D

Seems like I remember they've done this theme before, and contestants could choose from any of the billboard top 10 lists, not just the pop list. So that opens it up to country, adult contemporary, easy listening, etc. I'm pretty sure Ruben sang one from the R&B list and Clay sang something from the adult contemporary list. And last year Carrie sang something from the country list.

dxwwf3

hcswingfield said:
Seems like I remember they've done this theme before, and contestants could choose from any of the billboard top 10 lists, not just the pop list. So that opens it up to country, adult contemporary, easy listening, etc. I'm pretty sure Ruben sang one from the R&B list and Clay sang something from the adult contemporary list. And last year Carrie sang something from the country list.

I think that is right and it would make sense.

hcswingfield

From the idolonfox web site:

Now, Tuesday at 8/7c the Final 5 will be performing two songs each – one from the year they were born and any song from this week’s Top 10 Billboard Charts.

Note the plural on "charts." They will have some choices. Taylor may not be toast yet after all.

CaptainMichael

hcswingfield said:
It was previous Top 10 hits, not necessarily current. Carrie never sang a current song.

Lil'mermaid

I'm looking through the charts right now, and there are a few interesting prospects around. I would love to see someone do "Save the Last Dance for Me" or "Let U Go", but I doubt anyone will.

GenerationX

Now that we've dispensed with the ditz, here are the final placements:

5. Paris. Narrowly escaped this week.
4. Elliot. Lacks stage presence.
3. Taylor. Worst singer of the final five, but personality propels him to the three spot.

I picked Chris and Katharine as the final two a long time ago, and I stick with that prediction. In a vote resembling the closeness of Ruben/Clay, the final outcome is:

2. Katharine
1. Chris.

GenerationX

BRER STITCH said:
How fun would it be if they had to choose the song that was NUMBER ONE from the DAY they were born!?!?!?

If they did that, these are the songs they would have to sing...and some of them are pretty funny!!!: :lol:

CHRIS DAUGHTRY- Escape (The Pina Colada Song) - Rupert Holmes
12/26/1979

ELLIOTT YAMIN- Shadow Dancing - Andy Gibb
7/20/1978

KATHARINE MCPHEE- Footloose - Kenny Loggins
3/25/1984

PARIS BENNETT- Dont Worry Be Happy - Bobby McFerrin
9/23/1988

TAYLOR HICKS- A Fifth Of Beethoven - Walter Murphy & The Big Apple Band
10/6/1976

I guess since A Fifth of Beethoven was an instrumental, TAYLOR could always do some interpretive dance??? :lol:
:lol: :lol: Another hit from 1976 was Gonna Fly Now (the Theme from Rocky).

Taylor and Elliott are in prime disco years. Chris is at the end of disco (1979), and I think it would be great fun for him to pull out the song credited with ending disco's run at the top: "My Sharona".

I, for one, would like to see Katharine tramp it up and do Sheena Easton's "Strut" from 1984. :lookaroun

guitarman520

GenerationX said:
Now that we've dispensed with the ditz, here are the final placements:

5. Paris. Narrowly escaped this week.
4. Elliot. Lacks stage presence.
3. Taylor. Worst singer of the final five, but personality propels him to the three spot.

I picked Chris and Katharine as the final two a long time ago, and I stick with that prediction. In a vote resembling the closeness of Ruben/Clay, the final outcome is:

2. Katharine
1. Chris.

Very good analysis. I think Elliot is the best male "vocalist", but lacks personality. (and needs to get those teeth fixed)
Taylor is fun to watch, but I'm amazed he's still around. (instead of Mandisa???)
Paris is solid but too young and inexperienced. (and reminds me too much of Tootie)
That leaves Katherine and Chris. Chris is my personal favorite (being a Metalhead) but I think his career is better served if he comes in second. There's heavy rumors about several big hitters that are very interested in him. You'll see him fronting a major band if he comes in second. He deserves it.
Katherine should win. She has it all. Talent, personality, and looks. He downfall is she might be too pretty. My wife and I agree that many women will not vote for her because she is TOO pretty and talented. I have to agree. Still, I hope she comes out on top. She's perfect for Broadway. Just my .02

robynchic

of the "what I would do" thread deviation...I would have done Hips Don't Lie. Then again, I can belly dance :D

As to what others will do...Chris will almost certainly pick from this list. I'm going to guess something a little more mellow and mainstream, to appease Simon. So that takes out "Vicarious" by Tool. I would think that his best bets would be either Red Hot Chili Peppers or Foo Fighters. Although...he might take from the Pop charts and do either Nickelback or Staind...

I'm not touching what Elliot might do- I'm not into rap and hip hop... *EDIT* I think that Paris is ballsy enough to sing Hips Don't Lie.

I think Katherine would do "You're Beautiful", because after the Kelly Clarkson boot from Lisa, and the Natasha Bedingfield boot for Ayla...

Taylor...well, I kind of hope he gets booted this week. I've never been a fan of his.

And NO ONE will touch "Bad Day". If they do, I'd be shocked.

*note: the primary reason I gave so much on Chris is because it's my favorite music genre*

EDIT PART 2:

Hm...I think Chris would sooner do Nickleback...I'm not sure he can hit that high note in "Right Here"...although, they have been teaching him some techniques to get better with that kind of thing. Now I'm so excited to hear him!

robynchic

guitarman520 said:
That leaves Katherine and Chris. Chris is my personal favorite (being a Metalhead) but I think his career is better served if he comes in second. There's heavy rumors about several big hitters that are very interested in him. You'll see him fronting a major band if he comes in second. He deserves it.
Katherine should win. She has it all. Talent, personality, and looks. He downfall is she might be too pretty. My wife and I agree that many women will not vote for her because she is TOO pretty and talented. I have to agree. Still, I hope she comes out on top. She's perfect for Broadway. Just my .02

She may be good for Broadway, yes, but it'll make her lose publicity.

As for Chris, I agree that he should be in second place. Being in first, the producers and record company have all the say- you can't do something that you want, and can't NOT do something, even if you don't like it. What the producers say, goes.

I would honestly LOVE to see Chris do something a la Josie Scott and Chad Kroeger. Maybe with Seether...or do something with Evanescence, Lacuna Coil, or another female hard rocker (there aren't too many out there...)

METALHEADS, UNITE!

Lil'mermaid

robynchic said:
As to what others will do...Chris will almost certainly pick from this list. I'm going to guess something a little more mellow and mainstream, to appease Simon. So that takes out "Vicarious" by Tool. I would think that his best bets would be either Red Hot Chili Peppers or Foo Fighters. Although...he might take from the Pop charts and do either Nickelback or Staind...

*note: the primary reason I gave so much on Chris is because it's my favorite music genre*

I cannot see Chris (or anyone for that matter) even touching "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom And Suicide Is Press Coverage".Brandon Urie's voice is too distinict and there are so many words in the song, its sung faster than the music goes. I also couldnt see him doing "Saying Sorry" either, but then again, that might just be me. I'm not that into screamo.

BRER STITCH

I suspect that ever since I got an I-Pod, I could not name a single current Top Ten song! :eek:

I'm not so sure it is because of the poor quality of the music, (though in many cases it is!) but rather the state of current radio programming that forces me to turn the radio off in favor of CDs or the I-Pod!

As a musician, I am ashamed to say I only know 2 of the current Top Ten songs on the list! :lookaroun

Guess that makes it easier on me to judge the contestant's quality this week, as chances are I will have nothing to compare it to! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom