American Idol!

imagineer boy

dxwwf3 said:
I think you're a week early.

If Kellie has her personal best next week, she's gone. That's what happened tonight. Good luck Ace.

IMO, I think Pickler is good, but streaky. One week she'll be great, then the next week she'll be horiffic, then the next week she'll be great, then the next week she'll be horrific.

dxwwf3

I'm still waiting for her to be good :lol:

I just don't like country.......at all. She's not like Carrie who could sing just about anything.

Lil'mermaid

I nearly had a heart attack because I missheard Ryan, and I thought that he said that Ace was safe and that Chris was leaving. :eek:

Next week is going to be interesting, I'm looking foward to it. It also looks like I'm going to have to get my phone going to vote too. :lookaroun

imagineer boy

dxwwf3 said:
I'm still waiting for her to be good :lol:

I just don't like country.......at all. She's not like Carrie who could sing just about anything.

True, one thing though, Pickler is no where NEAR the hotness factor that Carrie had. Oh god, I was burnin' up every time Carrie hit the stage.:eek:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
DDuckFan130 said:
I really like next week's theme, and am pleasantly surprised by their coach. Andrea Bocelli does have a fantastic voice, but since it's opera I don't know how that will mesh with pop singers. Well then again, Andrea has worked with several pop artists. We'll see.

I hope they do well next week :D

Not opera, classic love songs. I can't see AI ever doing opera...:hurl:

DDuckFan130

MontyMon said:
Not opera, classic love songs. I can't see AI ever doing opera...:hurl:
I know that. I said it was weird that Andrea Bocelli, being an opera singer, would coach the kids doing pop-type songs or R&B songs.

But he's had a few pop hits in English and Spanish here so it can work.

dxwwf3

I guess this begs the question, is Taylor getting all of these votes just because people like him? I mean I think he's a fun performer, but he doesn't really have a strong voice, IMO. Look at Rod Stewart, he would NEVER go far in a competition like this, but he found his niche. I think Taylor is similar in that what he lacks for in vocal ability, he makes up for in energy and personality.

But as Simon says "This is a singing competition". Taylor should not be anywhere near the final two, in my opinion. I think it's going to be Chris and Katherine, but this might be the season where somebody from outside the final two does really well.

At the top, this might not be the strongest Idol, but I do feel it is the most balanced.

SpongeScott

dxwwf3 said:
I guess this begs the question, is Taylor getting all of these votes just because people like him? I mean I think he's a fun performer, but he doesn't really have a strong voice, IMO. Look at Rod Stewart, he would NEVER go far in a competition like this, but he found his niche. I think Taylor is similar in that what he lacks for in vocal ability, he makes up for in energy and personality.

But as Simon says "This is a singing competition". Taylor should not be anywhere near the final two, in my opinion. I think it's going to be Chris and Katherine, but this might be the season where somebody from outside the final two does really well.

At the top, this might not be the strongest Idol, but I do feel it is the most balanced.
Simon may view it as a singing competition, but if you go to a concert, do you want to hear a good voice or do you want to be entertained? If you want to hear a good voice, you go and listen to someone who has been professionally coached and trained. If you want to be entertained, you go and see someone who puts on a great show. Rarely do the two meet.

America is voting on an entertainer. Taylor entertains, he's got a good personality. He's not the best vocalist in the group, but he knows how to work the stage and the camera and he's winning the vote.

dxwwf3

SpongeScott said:
Simon may view it as a singing competition, but if you go to a concert, do you want to hear a good voice or do you want to be entertained?

It depends on what kind of concert I'm going to (Which I think concerts are overrated IMO). If I want to see Jay Z or Korn, then I'm not too worried about the vocal arrangements (These are probably the only two acts I would pay to see in concert BTW), but if I'm seeing someone that has serious vocal range, like Christina Aguiliera or Beyonce, then I wouldn't care as much about all of the theatrics as much as the voice, and I think sometimes these powerhouse vocalists try to do too much during a show and they forget that they are actually singing a song.

SpongeScott said:
America is voting on an entertainer. Taylor entertains, he's got a good personality. He's not the best vocalist in the group, but he knows how to work the stage and the camera and he's winning the vote.

Well they've voted voice over entertainer every time in the show's history except for Fantasia. Maybe it will happen again?

SpongeScott

dxwwf3 said:
It depends on what kind of concert I'm going to (Which I think concerts are overrated IMO). If I want to see Jay Z or Korn, then I'm not too worried about the vocal arrangements (These are probably the only two acts I would pay to see in concert BTW), but if I'm seeing someone that has serious vocal range, like Christina Aguiliera or Beyonce, then I wouldn't care as much about all of the theatrics as much as the voice, and I think sometimes these powerhouse vocalists try to do too much during a show and they forget that they are actually singing a song.
agreed. So, just as we have no strong, stand out above all the rest type vocalist, an entertainer is getting the votes.

Well they've voted voice over entertainer every time in the show's history except for Fantasia. Maybe it will happen again?
It could. Taylor is probably the strongest entertainer that they have had in the field in the history of the show.

dxwwf3

SpongeScott said:
So, just as we have no strong, stand out above all the rest type vocalist, an entertainer is getting the votes.

I think we have two, Katherine and Chris, but for some reason they have both been in the bottom 3 recently.

GenerationX

We have two groups of contestants:

Performers (getting votes primarily through personality, attitude, and performance skills):
Taylor
Kellie
Chris

Singers (getting votes primarily through their ability to sing):
Katharine
Paris
Elliot.

Looking back at past Idols - Kelly, Ruben, Fantasia, and Carrie were all primarily Singers. Fantasia may have been closer to a Performer, but once LaToya got the boot, there were no good choices. Bo got the furthest as a Performer.

I see Ace's votes going to Chris.

I was disappointed in Taylor for playing along with the whole "pick the safe three" game. The only classy ways to maneuver this were to either:
1. Stand motionless, or
2. Stand next to the judges.
He's old enough to have known better.

dxwwf3

GenerationX said:
We have two groups of contestants:

Performers (getting votes primarily through personality, attitude, and performance skills):
Taylor
Kellie
Chris

Singers (getting votes primarily through their ability to sing):
Katharine
Paris
Elliot.

I'll agree with that, except I would have it in 3 groups of two:

Performers:
Taylor
Kellie

Singers:
Katherine
Elliott

Mix of the two:
Chris
Paris

SpongeScott

GenerationX said:
I was disappointed in Taylor for playing along with the whole "pick the safe three" game. The only classy ways to maneuver this were to either:
1. Stand motionless, or
2. Stand next to the judges.
He's old enough to have known better.
I'm disappointed in FOX or whoever in making him do that. If you're onstage live, knowing millions are watching, and the emotion they put them through, it's tough to know what to do on the spur of the moment, though he did have a commercial break to think about it. It wasn't fair to Taylor or anyone else.

hcswingfield

The winner should be someone who will sell records, regardless of if they have the best voice or not. Most of the top selling recording artists do not have the best voices in the world, but they use the voice in such a way and choose the right songs so that people want to buy their records. It's why Barbra Streisand has never had the kind of top 10 Billboard success that Bonnie Raitt, Madonna, Phoebe Snow, Carole King, Brittany Spears, Bette Midler, Elton John, James Taylor, and others have had. No denying Babs has the best voice, but she just doesn't have the same appeal to the masses. Hasn't hurt her income much, though, and her fans are the most loyal of any artist.

I still haven't figured out who among this years Idol finalists will be the one to sell records. Taylor seems to be the most likely to get played on the radio, so maybe that will do it for him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom