American Idol!

CaptainMichael

BRER STITCH said:
With all the Country Music available, where were songs by classic greats like Johnny Cash, Hank WIlliams, Patsy Cline, and newer faves like Clint Black and Tim McGraw or Faith Hill??? Whatever....

BOTTOM THREE:

TAYLOR, ACE, BUCKY

Goodbye BUCKY. :wave:
If only we got go so lucky!

By the way, Katharine sang a Faith Hill song and Mandisa sang a Shania Twain song, and Clint Black is far from being anything! Last night was pretty much current country music, just poorly chosen. Most were songs I turn off when they come on the radio.

BRER STITCH

STR8FAN2005 said:
If only we got go so lucky!

By the way, Katharine sang a Faith Hill song and Mandisa sang a Shania Twain song, and Clint Black is far from being anything! Last night was pretty much current country music, just poorly chosen. Most were songs I turn off when they come on the radio.

Sorry for the confusion STR8FAN2005!... :wave:

The emphasis of my post should have been on the word "FAVES"! I'm no fan of country music but a know if a song is popular or not, as I would have heard it on the radio or tv, in an ad, etc. The songs they selected, for the most part, I had never even heard of before, and I am part of the general viewing audience that is expected to vote! HAHA! :lol:

As far as my examples of music from country singers they SHOULD have performed, feel free to insert your own examples, (and please DO!) as I just picked the couple that came to my head. I was just disappointed nobody did "established" country classics.

By the way....who was that guy impersonating Kenny Rogers last night??? :lol: Guess He either gave no input or it was completely ignored. Not even one of his hits made the list!?!?!

:)

dr_teeth90210

I thought Taylor Hicks did well last night, despite what the judges said. It was a fun song.

Taylor's going to win the competition:) .

And I predict that Mandisa will go home tonight. Although, I do like her vocals and wish that Chris would go home instead.

Computer Magic

SpongeScott said:
The talent this year is either incredibly thin or the choice of genre is incredibly lousy.

Last night was the best performance that Chris has given because he actually sang the song instead of screaming/shouting it.

Taylor was horrible. Very disappointed.

This is the weakest season so far. Whoever wins this will disappear like Fantasia.
I agree. I think the singers don't choose the right songs and arent' versatile. They are only safe in their environment.

The weakiest in all seasons....so is the talent pool dwindling or people voting on popularity.

CaptainMichael

BRER STITCH said:
Sorry for the confusion STR8FAN2005!... :wave:

As far as my examples of music from country singers they SHOULD have performed, feel free to insert your own examples, (and please DO!) as I just picked the couple that came to my head. I was just disappointed nobody did "established" country classics.
:)
No problem.

In my opinion, it would have been wiser to choose some up-beat songs from Kenny Chesney and Keith Urban instead of the two sllllloooooowwww Keith Urban songs. Mandisa probably could have done Martina McBride's "Independence Day".

For anyone who liked Elliot's "If Tomorrow Never Comes", I strongly suggest you listen to the REAL version.

Kellie Pickler was the only person that did a song justice. It is a shame they chopped it up.

dr_teeth90210

STR8FAN2005 said:
It is not wise to drink alcohol in the morning...:lol:

j/j:wave:

DialIdol.com reported that Taylor got more votes than anyone else last night by a huge margin. Good thing all those drunk voters were home watching A.I. and not out on the roadways. :lol:

Speaking of being inebriated, I personally would like to see Paula on more medication or booze. It makes for great TV.

hcswingfield

dr_teeth90210 said:
DialIdol.com reported that Taylor got more votes than anyone else last night by a huge margin. Good thing all those drunk voters were home watching A.I. and not out on the roadways. :lol:

Speaking of being inebriated, I personally would like to see Paula on more medication or booze. It makes for great TV.

The thing about "Take Me Home Country Roads" is that it appeals to the lowest common denominator of music fans. Those of us who really appreciate good music recoiled over the choice, but the masses in the USA probably loved it. When I used to perform in country bars, "Country Roads" was a song I would do as a signal to my friends in the audience that I had totally given up on the audience and was not going to even attempt to do any real music after that. Taylor may very well have made the wisest song choice of the night.

DisneyJill

dr_teeth90210 said:
I thought Taylor Hicks did well last night, despite what the judges said. It was a fun song.

Taylor's going to win the competition:) .

And I predict that Mandisa will go home tonight. Although, I do like her vocals and wish that Chris would go home instead.

I agree with you about Taylor as I am a huge Taylor fan. However, we will have to agree to disagree about Chris-I don't think he will go home for a while and IF he does go home, this won't be he last we'll see of him. And I don't think one nite will ruin the whole thing for Mandisa-she is still talented when singing songs in her "element." Much like Taylor-maybe last nite he wasn't on top of his game but he's still quite talented.

imagineer boy

DisneyJill said:
I am very ready for Ace to head home. I can't take even one more sultry stare into the camera. :hurl:

I never thought I'd say this, but Ace really makes me miss Constantine. And I wasn't that big of a fan of him at all last year.:lol:

hcswingfield

A word about song choice - it's always bad to pick a song people are too familiar with. No matter how good you are, you are going to be compared to the original. But you don't want to pick anything too obscure, either. Oldies work out pretty well, because the original version isn't as fresh in people's heads. Unless you've got a voice like Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, or Josh Groban, avoid ballads. Up tempo will always get the audience's attention more.

If I were 25 years younger, and a finalist on Idol, for country night I would have done a song by Nanci Griffith or Beth Nielsen Chapman, or one that was a hit for Linda Ronstadt or Emmylou Harris about 20 years ago. Why female vocalists? Nobody expects me to do Linda's or Emmylou's version, and they appreciate my interpretation. If I try to do a James Taylor or Garth Brooks song, they won't allow me to be me on it, and the best I could do would be karaoke. My 2 cents.

dr_teeth90210

hcswingfield said:
The thing about "Take Me Home Country Roads" is that it appeals to the lowest common denominator of music fans. Those of us who really appreciate good music recoiled over the choice, but the masses in the USA probably loved it.

I'm glad that we have a musical elitest,like yourself, to show me and the rest of America who voted for Taylor the light of day.

I'm about to go up to Kmart to pick up some cassette tapes, but before I step outside of my singlewide maybe you can recommend some albums for me.

By the way, which record label are you signed to?

SpongeScott

dr_teeth90210 said:
I'm glad that we have a musical elitest,like yourself, to show me and the rest of America who voted for Taylor the light of day.

I'm about to go up to Kmart to pick up some cassette tapes, but before I step outside of my singlewide maybe you can recommend some albums for me.

By the way, which record label are you signed to?
was this really called for? He simply shared his opinion (which I agree with to an extent) and then you start showing your colors on it. If you didn't like what he posted, say it in a nicer manner than what you just did. :wave:

dr_teeth90210

SpongeScott said:
was this really called for? He simply shared his opinion (which I agree with to an extent) and then you start showing your colors on it. If you didn't like what he posted, say it in a nicer manner than what you just did. :wave:

Maybe you should read his post again.:wave:

He acted like a complete pompous a$$ because he claimed his musical taste superior to mine just because I enjoyed Taylor's rendition of "Take Me Home Country Roads".

The only reason your defending him is because you happen to agree with his opinion. So you ask,"Was this really called for?".... most definitely.

CaptainMichael

lawyergirl77 said:
*steps away from thread's tone*

Who's in the bottom three right now?? As always, I'm stuck at work and desperate for news!! :brick:
Not Kellie, Chris, or Taylor. We'll find out "after the break".

Mandisa, Paris, and Elliot are in the bottom three!

lawyergirl77

STR8FAN2005 said:
Not Kellie, Chris, or Taylor. We'll find out "after the break".

Mandisa, Paris, and Elliot are in the bottom three!
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??!! :eek:

*crosses fingers* Please, let it be Paris! (although I really don't want to see her gone yet...)

Wow - that stinks!! If either Mandisa or Elliott goes home, I'll be really mad!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom