American Idol!

DDuckFan130

MouseMadness said:
OMG what will Chris do?! :eek: :lol:

Barry Manilow? :rolleyes: Seriously...
Chris can do Elvis...or Rock around the Clock :lookaroun

I'm sure there is some 50s song covered by a rock band, like that Stevie Wonder song :lol:

hcswingfield

MouseMadness said:
OMG what will Chris do?! :eek: :lol:

Barry Manilow? :rolleyes: Seriously...

And they wonder why the contestants keep sounding like bad Karaoke! They pick songwriters who write songs that no one else covers. There's a reason few Stevie Wonder songs or Barry Manilow songs get covered by other artists. The original versions are too distinctive. If they are going to build a theme around an artist, pick one whose work gets done by other artists: Paul McCartney, Jimmy Webb, Carole King; Karla Bonoff, Randy Newman, Leonard Cohen, John Prine, Nanci Griffith, Beth Neilsen Chapman, Holland-Dozier-Holland, Joni Mitchell. Or go back a few decades to Irving Berlin, the Gershwins, Cole Porter, etc. Quit choosing these themes that belong in elevators!!!!!!!

GenerationX

Barry Manilow is kind of a guilty pleasure for me. I'm not a fan of how his records are mixed and produced, but I can't deny his skill as a songwriter. Beneath the schmaltzy arrangements are great melodies. So, he'll be around to help the final 11 sing a 50's song in their own style?

Chris will have plenty of songs to choose from. Several well-known songs from the 50's have been covered by Rock artists, including:

Somethin' Else, Eddie Cochran (redone by Sid Vicious)
Summertime Blues, Eddie Cochran (The Who)
Not Fade Away, Buddy Holly (The Rolling Stones)
La Bamba, Ritchie Valens (Los Lobos).

I bet some of them cheat and pick songs from the early 60's. The "50's" label is often applied to the big years for rockabilly and doo-wop, or '55-'63. The "60's" label doesn't typically kick in until '64 (Beatles) and lasts until about when disco started (around '73).

BRER STITCH

GenerationX said:
Barry Manilow is kind of a guilty pleasure for me. I'm not a fan of how his records are mixed and produced, but I can't deny his skill as a songwriter. Beneath the schmaltzy arrangements are great melodies. So, he'll be around to help the final 11 sing a 50's song in their own style?

WHAT?

I'm confused, GENERATIONX.....

How did Barry Manilow Week and 50's week get mixed together???:veryconfu

Did I miss something this week???

:)

MouseMadness

GenerationX said:

Chris will have plenty of songs to choose from. Several well-known songs from the 50's have been covered by Rock artists, including:

Somethin' Else, Eddie Cochran (redone by Sid Vicious)
Summertime Blues, Eddie Cochran (The Who)
Not Fade Away, Buddy Holly (The Rolling Stones)
La Bamba, Ritchie Valens (Los Lobos).

I bet some of them cheat and pick songs from the early 60's. The "50's" label is often applied to the big years for rockabilly and doo-wop, or '55-'63. The "60's" label doesn't typically kick in until '64 (Beatles) and lasts until about when disco started (around '73).

The only song I could think of was that "Oh where, Oh where could my baby be..." Don't even remember who covered it. :lol: I'm sure Chris will wow me again, just like he has been. Either ya got it or ya don't. :cool:

The Barry Manilow thing, I don't have anything against him personally, it's just, to add a bit to what hcswingfield said, one of the judge's biggest gripes is the contestants sounding "too old" Well, you are giving them Stevie Wonder, Barry Manilow, and the 50's so far to choose from!! We set the age limit for them to 29 years old, yet choose songwriters in their 50's + whose songs they are to sing. Well, I'll still watch :lol: I'll just be glad when this week's over. :)

Yayyyyyyy country music week? :lookaroun :lol:

SpongeScott

BRER STITCH said:
WHAT?

I'm confused, GENERATIONX.....

How did Barry Manilow Week and 50's week get mixed together???:veryconfu

Did I miss something this week???

It's 50's Week and Barry is going to be singing is my understanding. Barry is singing because he's got a CD out right now of 50's songs--that I've heard is terrible.

BRER STITCH

SpongeScott said:
It's 50's Week and Barry is going to be singing is my understanding. Barry is singing because he's got a CD out right now of 50's songs--that I've heard is terrible.

Thanks SPONGESCOTT! :wave:

This whole idea is a trainwreck! :lol:

I just saw Barry's new album on the charts and it finally clicked that it's a publicity stunt to sell more records! I never even looked at the title of it until I saw your post!

The title of it is "GREATEST HITS FROM THE 50's", but that, of course was pretty subjective when you look at the playlist:

1. Moments To Remember
2. It’s All In The Game
3. Unchained Melody
4. Venus
5. It’s Not For Me To Say
6. Love Is A Many Splendored Thing
7. Rags To Riches
8. Sincerely/Teach Me Tonight (Duet with Phyllis McGuire)
9. Are You Lonesome Tonight?
10. Young At Heart
11. All I Have To Do Is Dream
12. What A Diff’rence A Day Made
13. Beyond The Sea

Wonder if the "IDOLS" will be confined to this list of oldies??? I'm not so sure many other people would consider this collection of tunes "the greatest" hits from that decade! :p

No wonder the kids sound older than they really are! Look at the stuff they give them to sing! :lol:

Thanks for clearing that up!

nibblesandbits

Original Poster
BRER STITCH said:
No wonder the kids sound older than they really are! Look at the stuff they give them to sing! :lol:

Thanks for clearing that up!

Yeah...they really have been given crap to sing so far.

And I noticed the publicity stunt thing going on last week too. They had Stevie Wonder on there because he's got a new album coming out. (At least that's what I thought I heard.)

MouseMadness

Computer Magic said:
Don't forget his continous eyes blinking 100 miles an hour. :brick:

Yikes! Put the claws away, Sherman :lookaroun (It's my influence, isn't it? :eek: )

:lol: :p

(I agree, btw. Time to go, Kevin!! Then Ace, with that "Look at me trying to be hott" camera stare he does all the dang time :brick: ) :lookaroun

SpongeScott

MouseMadness said:
Yikes! Put the claws away, Sherman :lookaroun (It's my influence, isn't it? :eek: )

:lol: :p

(I agree, btw. Time to go, Kevin!! Then Ace, with that "Look at me trying to be hott" camera stare he does all the dang time :brick: ) :lookaroun
I predict that Kevin will last 3-4 more weeks.

Dizknee_Phreek

Ugh...they had Barry Manilow around last year! And Barry Manilow scares the heck outta me! He looks like a friggin animatronic!
They need, like, a Kenny Loggins week...he's hot. Or a Dan Fogelberg week, even though I doubt Dan would make an appearance on the show. Besides, I doubt his music is popular enough to put it on there :(

But...anyway...I understand they're doing it because these people have new cds or whatever coming out...which I think is stupid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom