American Idol!

nicholas

Back in season 1 and 2 when I still thought my vote actually mattered and was still naive to think it was a contest based on talent, here is the procedure I used to vote.

I alloted myself a certain number of votes per week. For example: 25

Then I gave each contestant points based on several factors. Some of which included "vocal performance (if they were on key, pitchy, etc), stage presence (how well they "sold" the song), personality (didn't want to vote for a schmoe), and overall performance up until that date.

Then I would average together their scores in each catagory and find the three who had the highest scores. I would give the most of my 25 votes to the person who came out with the highest, and what was left of the 25 votes to the other two.

I felt this was a pretty fair way to vote, basing my decision are several aspects of the performer and trying to distribute my votes to the top singerS as opposed to just one.

But then again, the entire world isn't as as I am :p

LouDisney

nicholas said:
I just don't understand the hypocrisy of the show.

Corey Clark had abuse allegations in his past, and got booted from the show. Scott remains a contestant.

Frenchie Davis posed in lengerie for a website and got booted from the show. Nikki McKibbon was a stripper and remained a contestant.

I do not understand it either Nicholas.

Computer Magic

nicholas said:
Back in season 1 and 2 when I still thought my vote actually mattered and was still naive to think it was a contest based on talent, here is the procedure I used to vote.
exactly my point. Although a few idiots filtered through.
*caugh-Justin-caugh*:lookaroun

Laura

It annoys the heck out of me that Scott is STILL around. I can't stand his attitude.

But at the same time - PHEW - thank goodness it was Nadia voted off instead of Bo.

And why is Anthony never in the bottom 3? Am I the only one who notices that he misses almost every note? He sounds like a piano that's out of tune.

Ok so now let me re-rank them...

1. Bo
2. Vonzell
3. Carrie
4. Anwar
5. Constantine
6. Scott
7. Anthony

Vonzell, Carrie, and Anwar are all about the same for me - all 3 are excellent. Bo I just like better because he's so cool to watch and he has a unique sound. But I'd be happy if any of the 4 of them won. I will flip out if any of the 4 of them get voted off before Scott and Anthony!

Pix E. Dust

I would be happy to see any of them win except Scott and Anthony. I really think Nadia deserved to go home last night. But I thinkt that Scott deserved to go two weeks ago.

Dizknee_Phreek

JBSLJames said:
Bo has underperformed for two weeks straight. I don't understand a comment that asks Bo to sing Country or Big Band. Once you are a succesful singer, you rarely leave the comfort zone that made you famous, Rod Stewart not included. I think Bo has a very good Southern Rock voice. This could transition into Country, but why should it.

I see where you're coming from. But I do agree with the statement that they should make the contestants sing genres that don't really fit their usual style. To me, the whole point of the competition (besides finding the "best" singer) is to see who can take a song they wouldn't normally perform and make it their own. Constantine and Carrie have done that very successfully, imo. Bo hasn't had to because he's been able to pick classic/southern rock songs (for the most part...at least they were songs that sounded a lot alike). I think this season is slightly unfair compared to last season (as I've only watched AI since the 3rd season) because this year, the contestants have been given a LOT more freedom in song choice. Last year they were forced to sing Big Band, country, Elton John, Barry Manilow, movie themes, latin...some genres that maybe applied to some singers' styles, but not all. The result was some of the contestants found out they were really good at singing genres that they had never even thought about getting into...remember Amy Adams? Who knew a pink-haired chick would blow everyone away on country night?
Besides, last year John Stevens sung the same kind of genre and it got to the point where I really wanted to cry everytime he was on stage because I was so bored with him.
Of course, Bo isn't the only one picking the same kind of songs this season. Anthony seems to be picking 80's love ballads all the time (I still think his latin performance was his best), Nikko was picking R&B (or at least making all his picks R&B), and I don't know what Scott's picking, but he sounds the same every week (consistently bad).
I hope I'm making sense here, cause I feel like I'm rambling :) Basically, the ones who can sing a variety of genres are typically the most popular. The competition is about proving themselves and their ability to sing (and perform) well, no matter the genre. I have a feeling that's one of the reasons Fantasia won last year, because not all of the genres were her "thing", but she did a good job with them anyway. Besides, they can sing their own genre after they win Idol ;)

JBSLJames

Computer Magic said:
I think he means Tamyr Gray who was better then Justin but was voted off.

That's her. She has real talent and will most likely succede at anything she chooses.

Oh and what's her name was Fantasia, or as I liked to call her "Hey honey, where's the Pepto". . .

Meaning of course that her voice made me sick to my stomach - lesson number one, if you have to explain a joke, maybe you shouldn't say it.

TiggerBW

JBSLJames said:
That's her. She has real talent and will most likely succede at anything she chooses.

Oh and what's her name was Fantasia, or as I liked to call her "Hey honey, where's the Pepto". . .

Meaning of course that her voice made me sick to my stomach - lesson number one, if you have to explain a joke, maybe you shouldn't say it.

I agree about Fantasia's voice! GEEZ!

I too can't believe Anthony wasn't in the bottom 3 (who in the world is voting for him?) and that Scott was safe. That makes no sense. Nadia shouldn't have gone before either of them. No one should.
Personally, I like
1. Vonzell
2. Bo
3. Anwar
4. Carrie
5. Constantine
Just my opinion. :)

imagineer boy

TiggerBW said:

I'm not sure if it was her voice that was the problem, but that SONG! Ugh! What was up with all of the screaming? She sounded like someone had dropped a bowling ball on her foot.

tigger248

imagineer boy said:
I'm not sure if it was her voice that was the problem, but that SONG! Ugh! What was up with all of the screaming? She sounded like someone had dropped a bowling ball on her foot.

That's why I'm glad that I had to work that night and recorded the show. I had the luxury of fast forwarding over the performance. What little of it that I heard sounded awful.

WDWScottieBoy

I've seen several people complain about Scott still being there with his past and the beatings with his baby's mother.

Now, Fantasia was a single mother and won last year, and she was only what, 19. I don't see that as an American Idol myself. I wouldn't want my idol to have a kid at 16 or so and be a single parent. I guess people are just picking and choosing which ones can stay on the show or leave without giving any reason.

One more point why America is one of the dumbest countries in the world. (Please don't flame me as we all know it's probably true.)

Laura

imagineer boy said:

I really loved Fantasia in the competition, but I did NOT enjoy that last performace. I like her PLAIN voice better.

Invero

Original Poster
Did anyone see Leno tonight? He had Nadia on, and she got to spin the "Wheel of Concellation" to get a prize...

She could win a Pen & Pencil set, a years supply of Rice-A-Roni, or a Lincoln Navigator. Well, the thing landed on the Lincoln Navigator... so out came Abe Lincoln to present her with a compass :)

WDWScottieBoy

Just saw that one Tyler. I thought they would bring out a Hot Wheels Navigator, but that was even greater! He's been having the contestant that's kicked off on every week and he always has that. Nikko got a trip to somewhere in the Caribbean thougn.

nibblesandbits

TiggerBW said:

I too can't believe Anthony wasn't in the bottom 3 (who in the world is voting for him?) and that Scott was safe. That makes no sense. Nadia shouldn't have gone before either of them. No one should.

Well, I know why people are voting for Anthony...it's b/c a majority of them are teenage girls who think that he's cute. (he's kinda got that Clay Aiken thing going on...except for one small thing...Clay could actually sing). My big question is who the heck is voting for Scott? I really just don't understand it...how on earth does someone who is so bad and has no looks keep squeaking through? I'm really just flabbergasted. (Yes, I just used that word! :lol: )

tmcherok

I live about 45 minutes from Cleveland (where Scott is from) and the news stations here are all about making Scott the winner, so I'm sure there is a lot of peeps from here that are voting just because this is where he is from. I think it is stupid, but a lot of people don't apparently.

Invero

Original Poster
Okay, so I was just looking at an AOL poll... and this is what the AOL poll says:

Bo: 41%
Carrie: 32%
Constantine: 15%
Vonzell: 4%
Anwar: 4%
Anthony: 4%
Scott: 2%

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom