American Idol in Superstar theater...Proof

keithz28

Original Poster
By DERRIK J. LANG, AP Entertainment Writer
38 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Disney World is about to get a little pitchy, dawg.

ADVERTISEMENT

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts announced plans Thursday to create a live performance attraction based on "American Idol" at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park — formerly called Disney-MGM Studios — in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

"Our goal is to try to recreate the excitement of those 24 people who show up on that 'American Idol' stage," Disney Parks chairman Jay Rasulo told The Associated Press. "We believe many, many viewers want to know exactly how that feels, and we're going to try to reproduce that feeling for them."

Much like the hugely popular Fox singing competition, the as-yet-unnamed attraction — scheduled to open in late 2008 — will allow theme park guests to audition then perform before a live studio audience inside the Hollywood Studios' theater space formerly occupied by the "Doug Live!" and "Superstar Television" attractions.

Disney licensed the rights to create the attraction from "Idol" co-producers 19 Entertainment and FremantleMedia, despite the fact "American Idol" airs on Fox and Disney owns broadcast competitor ABC.

"It is owned by us, so we can extend the brand in the off-air space in the ways that we want to," said Keith Hindle, FremantleMedia's licensing vice president. "We don't see this in any way as a NewsCorp. vs. Disney debate. That's never been part of the discussion, and it's not something that's relevant to us. It's just part of 'American Idol.'"

The attraction's details are still being worked out, but it will probably operate something like this: Theme park guests ages 14 and up will be able to audition for a Disney casting producer. Those who pass the test will be selected to appear in one of the park's "Idol" stage shows. Rasulo anticipates six to eight such shows a day.

Backstage, the performers will receive hair and makeup touchups from a stylist and singing tips from a vocal coach. Then, the guests will perform on an "Idol"-like set in front of a live audience and three judges. No, not Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell. Instead, Rasulo says it's likely three audience members will be selected to evaluate the performers while a live host will keep the show moving.

Top audience vote-getters will compete in a grand finale show at the end of each day. Overall daily champs will win a special front-of-the-line pass at a regional audition for the actual "American Idol" show. Hindle says Disney winners won't be given any special treatment during the real audition, just the ability to skip ahead.

Because of eligibility differences — namely, the TV show's 16- to 28-year-old age limit — winners may be offered the option of transferring their pass to a friend or family member, but they won't be allowed to sell it. Daily champs too young to audition for the real deal could save the pass until they're old enough to compete, according to Hindle.

But will there be enough Fantasias and Sanyayas to keep theme park audiences captivated?

"I know that there's enough talent on any given day in our theme parks to keep people entertained," said Rasulo.

Beyond the attraction, Hindle says actual "Idol" stars may make appearances throughout the year and merchandise designed by both FremantleMedia and Disney's product divisions especially for the attraction would be available for sale.

"It's a very collaborative process," Hindle said. "Disney knows more about live stage productions that we ever will. We know more about our TV show that Disney ever will. Exactly how this will manifest it is something that will be mutually approved by all parties. We're looking to Disney to see how their guests like to be entertained."

___

Not sure how I feel about this yet. Seems like it could be cool but could also get old like WWTBAM did. Any thoughts?

Keith

WDWFREAK53

AWESOME! I'm a shoe-in!

*clears throat*

Stranded at the drive-in
Branded...a fool...
What will they say...
Monday at school...

uklad79

This sounds like a total waste of cash for Disney. Surely they have enough shows from their own networks that they could have adapted into a stage show. I think Jay Rasulo should be fired if this was something signed off by him. The Idol formats are starting to die worldwide as they are becoming tired plus the format just doesn't sound like something people want to do in a themepark except for pushy parents and attention seeking weirdos (like the people that go to Idol auditions). I can see it being car crash if one of the people playing a judge decided to lay into someone for being crap :eek:

JerseySkiddie

im not really into stage shows in general, but this sounds genuinely awful. And does DHS really need another show? maybe im biased because I can't sing my way out of a paper bag...

Peaches Magee

AWESOME! I'm a shoe-in!

*clears throat*

Stranded at the drive-in
Branded...a fool...
What will they say...
Monday at school...

Genius song choice!
Maybe sure you point to nothing of importance at that
exact point in the song...
You know what I am talkin' about... you do.
And you should be chuckling right about now... :p

I will never go to this attraction... karaoke is one of my great fears...
actually singing is scary enough... but I fear the listening part even more.
Eh. :hammer:

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
First I thought you were pulling my leg...sounded like a well-crafted joke. But no....

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/02/07/arts/Disney-World-American-Idol.php

Maybe it's because I had a dream they re-opened ABC Theatre last night....

WHAT HAVE I WROUGHT....
:cry:

I thought it was a giant joke at first too...but alas, it is far too early for an April Fools Day joke. :( Chinese New Year doesn't have a tradition of playing a crazy joke on people does it? :shrug: :lookaroun

DizFanatic

Like another Who Wants to be a Millionare. I think it will have some (little) draw, but I don't think there will be alot of people who will want to "waste" precious time sitting through it. I may be wrong because I am really not an Idol fan. My wife is, and I tease the crap out of her when it's on. I also think that Idol is winding down and may only have another season or two before it goes the way of Millionare.

I still think a better use of that real estate would be a Muppet dark ride. Not to get up on another soap box but god!!! they bought the darn company & characters! AND... Mr Henson himself had his hand in the design of a ride and parade before he passed on. What the heck man!!!!!!!:hammer:

Sorry, I'll get off it now. But stil...:wave:

TOTGuy

Oh crap...I can't stand American Idol, not to mention it is already spiraling downward. I personally don't like park shows in the least, with the exception of Indy and Voyage. I have never been to LMA, it's been at least a decade since Beauty, and never been to Nemo/Tarzan over at DAK. I was looking for something that could put DHS on the map like RnR or ToT. Sigh...welcome back millionaire...

Figment1986

IDOL "GOING TO DISNEY WORLD" --
Walt Disney World Resort has announced plans to create a high-energy "American Idol" attraction bringing the pop culture phenomenon to Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park. Each eligible "Grand Finale" park guest who wins the daily competition will qualify for a guaranteed slot for regional auditions for the "American Idol" TV show. The attraction is scheduled to open in late 2008

AmericanIdolExterior.jpg

Image Courteously of Walt Disney World

XSTech

When Universal first announced they were putting in a ride based on The Simpsons, I thought... 10 years too late. But now that I've heard more about it, I'm really excited about it and think it's going to be great.

This may prove to be a similar thing. American Idol is less popular now than it has been in the past. However, that doesn't mean it's going anywhere and certainly doesn't mean that it won't be loved by millions of park-goers who watch every week.

Moreover, the space has been empty for a while aside from special events. I'd rather see a permanent attraction based on a hugely successful television show than nothing.

DisneyWales

While I'm glad Disney are moving outside of their own franchises (Simon Cowel owns the franchise not Fox, this is why this probably went ahead), what interest is there for most normal guests, its kinda like a going to your local school talent show, your not gonna care much unless your son/daughter or family member is in the show.

Well I guess thats the main selling point there, family entrainment, but its not something i would want to do when I'm at a themepark.....

At least Millionaire had something for the general guest to enjoy, this is only fun if you can actually sing....

Oh well at, glad to see something being built at DHS, even if it is a little lame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom