American Idol details plus concept art

spaceghost

I'm glad that most everyone who posts on these boards finds themselves better than the hundreds of thousands of people who audition for the show each year, or the millions of people who watch the show each week. I am even more pleased that you all are watching out for those of us who might have gone to this attraction and enjoyed it. Your damning criticism based on some concept art and a generic attraction description has done its work. Good job!

Seriously, get over yourselves. This just goes to show how elitist and judgmental Disneyana fanatics can be. American Idol is hugely popular, in this country and others. It is family entertainment. There is no violence or foul language, and any sexual content is strictly limited to the inherent fact that most pop idols are attractive individuals. A key component to the American Idol demographic is also the Hannah Montana/High School Musical demographic. Disney is not stupid.

Is this my cup of tea? I can't sing worth a lick, so probably not. But I know plenty of people who can, and how cool would it be for someone who can to live out their dreams of performing? That to me totally sounds like a perfect example of the magic that Disney and Walt Disney World can give to people. Some people don't like thrill rides, so they don't go on ToT or RnRC. Some people don't have young children, so have no interest in Playhouse Disney Live. Some people don't like American Idol, so they won't go to the new attraction... that's just the way it is. I think some people here need to get off their high horses and take a dose or perspective.

Ok, I am now getting off of my high horse. <Lurk mode back on>

SpongeScott

I'm glad that most everyone who posts on these boards finds themselves better than the hundreds of thousands of people who audition for the show each year, or the millions of people who watch the show each week. I am even more pleased that you all are watching out for those of us who might have gone to this attraction and enjoyed it. Your damning criticism based on some concept art and a generic attraction description has done its work. Good job!

Seriously, get over yourselves. This just goes to show how elitist and judgmental Disneyana fanatics can be. American Idol is hugely popular, in this country and others. It is family entertainment. There is no violence or foul language, and any sexual content is strictly limited to the inherent fact that most pop idols are attractive individuals. A key component to the American Idol demographic is also the Hannah Montana/High School Musical demographic. Disney is not stupid.

Is this my cup of tea? I can't sing worth a lick, so probably not. But I know plenty of people who can, and how cool would it be for someone who can to live out their dreams of performing? That to me totally sounds like a perfect example of the magic that Disney and Walt Disney World can give to people. Some people don't like thrill rides, so they don't go on ToT or RnRC. Some people don't have young children, so have no interest in Playhouse Disney Live. Some people don't like American Idol, so they won't go to the new attraction... that's just the way it is. I think some people here need to get off their high horses and take a dose or perspective.

Ok, I am now getting off of my high horse. <Lurk mode back on>
:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy: You should post more often!

OmegaKnight

I think what most people seem to forget is that in the end, Disney is a business after all and they do have to make money. What better way to attract people to the theme parks than with an attraction with immediate name and brand recognition. This attraction will definitely at least do that and more. It will get people to visit the studios who may or may not during their visit.

Glasgow

Meh .. I don't watch the show but I'll give the attraction a shot. Of course, something original would've been nice

DisneyAnole

Why is that the point? Because you have an opinion and assume that it should be everyone else's as well? :brick:

Positive Qualities: filling and updating a previously unused space, bringing in a proven brand that will also bring renewed interest to a struggling park (already is, apparently), adding a true entertainment-based attraction.

Concept Art: You can certainly love it or hate it, but let's give Disney an opportunity to actually complete the thing first. I think it may just surprise people (strictly my opinion).

This attraction certainly will not appeal to every guest, and it's not intended to. I'm sure Disney is well aware that while there are millions that watch and love the show, there are just as many who will avoid it at all costs.

But that's the beauty of a Disney theme park if you ask me. There are plenty of attractions that I've only experienced once, and never went back. But I respect the fact that Disney obviously feels it appeals to someone, and it may just make that someone's vacation great.

I just feel it's better to give this thing a chance, before we start making t-shirts and petitions knocking something that is still simply a piece of concept art.

Your alleged "positives" are debatable. Is the addition of an attraction automatically positive, regardless of its quality or theme?

So why add an attraction that's going to be so polarizing? They simply want publicity. Disney's sacrificing MGMDHS for the sake of publicity, and that would be fine if they were adding something that they legitimately thought would be popular with the vast majority of guests for years to come.

I'm usually one for waiting to judge an attraction, but if ever there was an attraction that has flashing red warning lights, this would be the one.

Biff215

Your alleged "positives" are debatable. Is the addition of an attraction automatically positive, regardless of its quality or theme?

So why add an attraction that's going to be so polarizing? They simply want publicity. Disney's sacrificing MGMDHS for the sake of publicity, and that would be fine if they were adding something that they legitimately thought would be popular with the vast majority of guests for years to come.

I'm usually one for waiting to judge an attraction, but if ever there was an attraction that has flashing red warning lights, this would be the one.

You can look at any attraction, good or bad, and see it as polarizing. Any attraction with a height requirement is immediately leaving someone out, yet we understand that some attractions simply aren't for everyone. Here we're talking about a show that literally anyone can enjoy; young, old, or anywhere in between.

Is publicity important to Disney? Absolutely. But to imply that it's the only reason this show is coming is a bit extreme. It is, however, about drawing guests to the park and giving them something to do, which this attraction could do quite nicely. I'm pretty sure Disney isn't too concerned about filling the seats in that theater each show, or they wouldn't have gone ahead with this.

All I can say is that I'm glad that the critics on these boards do not work for Disney, as we'd be unlikely to see any new attractions at all since they wouldn't live up to the crazy expectations around here.

After having posted on this issue already I had to stop and think about really why I disliked the concept of AI going into a Disney park.

The reason: IT ALREADY EXISTS! If you really want to be part of AI then go and try out and see if you are good enough. AI gives you plenty of chances to try out.

I want to go to a Disney park to experience something new, creative and amazing. I want imagineers to build rides like Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion and Everest and shows like Fantasmic and Illuminations. Rides and shows that you look forward to riding and experiencing with family and friends. Rides that you can ride over and over again and shows that you have seen before but feel like its the first time.

Where is the creativity, newness and amazing feeling out of AI???? It just doesnt happen and wont happen. I fret that creativity is being overtaken by greed. :confused:

echoreyn

Not all of the auditioning will be done directly in front of Cast Members, as I mentioned earlier...

From Disney’s online Cast Member web site, The Hub:
“That experience will include an audition process, open to all who register, where Guests perform “live” in video kiosks in full view of a panel of screeners.”

The initial registration and auditions will not take place in front of Cast Members or guests directly, but rather via video kiosks. It’s unclear as to whether the “screeners” are real people or virtual singing “experts”.

http://www.attractionsmagazine.com/blog/?p=254

This is really good. Being Disney, I'm sure this means that they'll have several pre-recorded painless rejections. Also, the contestants won't even have to endure weird facial expressions from the judges. This will help prevent tears from the more sensitive Disney guests. Great! Now, I'm sure this attraction will be a hit!
And... shorter lines around the park for the rest of us! :sohappy:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Umm...

What do you know about theaters...?

There's really not much to them... Except that hard flat surfaces = horrible acoustics.

Most theaters are big warehouses that are empty until whatever production that is using it comes in and brings everything it needs in with it. Acoustics? What are they going to do?

Go around bouncing pink noise off the walls and shaping the walls into blocky panels until it perfectly resonates in each seat of the theater?

Seriously.

It's not that difficult. :shrug: I deal with these issues every day.

You underestimate the teenage girl's ego.

I don't know really about this whole thing. I want to wait and see.

I dont, Because I am a teen ;P

Or sorta, 2 more years and then I graduate to proper adulthood. Anyway. Considering how things are, yes Teen egos are a little fragile but thats because a majority of them get coddled by parents or friends. They have to face critisism sometime and sooner rather than later preferably. Otherwise that teen becomes an adult who gets weepy or angry the moment someone says the smallest negitive thing.

I'm not saying anyone who hates this attraction is any less of a Disney fan. People will enjoy this attraction regardless if the die hard Disney fans like it or not. I just dont see how this attraction is generating so much hate.

Besides teenagers can do with some humility. It's really not going to hurt someone to hear they can do better and considering this is Disney, Its going to be relatively nicely put. If they are going to have a "nasty" judge. They'll eather be the comical relief or a Disney villian. Because I cant see Disney letting a Simon loose on the guests. It's not serious, it's a bit of fun. Like I said if a teen does take it seriously. Mom or Dad should be on hand to tell them they are being a bit silly and that instead of blubbing, they could just work really hard on it and get even better. Then they can show that mean nasty ol judge.

Eather way I think on a whole it's rather sad to see people fighting over something so silly. Plus to damn Disney for the idea.

lollolol Disney = Sereous Bizness

Newsflash: WDW is for the masses, not the minority. Walt wanted it to be a place all could enjoy. Like I said before this attraction covers a dream some people have. Why SHOULDNT it be included? Are kids who wish to be popular singers not allowed to have their moment like the kids who want to be pirates and princesses?

Do people take the Pirate and Princess days seriously? Do people take Bibbidi Bobbity Botique seriously? Some might but most people take pity on those people. It would be the same for this attraction. The majority wont be serious about it. Or to a degree they will but will be grounded enough not to get the idea too seriously about the whole thing.

Damian31

Give Jennytablina the due that argument deserves. I think that was good points very well made.

Mind you I personally think AI is a waste of money and space and it wont last long. But thats only a personal opinion.:p

After having posted on this issue already I had to stop and think about really why I disliked the concept of AI going into a Disney park.

The reason: IT ALREADY EXISTS! If you really want to be part of AI then go and try out and see if you are good enough. AI gives you plenty of chances to try out.

I want to go to a Disney park to experience something new, creative and amazing. I want imagineers to build rides like Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion and Everest and shows like Fantasmic and Illuminations. Rides and shows that you look forward to riding and experiencing with family and friends. Rides that you can ride over and over again and shows that you have seen before but feel like its the first time.

Where is the creativity, newness and amazing feeling out of AI???? It just doesnt happen and wont happen. I fret that creativity is being overtaken by greed. :confused:

Well I'ld say on the creativity point of view the building is a start. A nice building with some fancy lighting. I'm sure the preshow areas and the grand final shows will have the Disney touch too.

Besides like, you cant judge the attractions creativity, Newness, or amazingness based on just the description. Lets set out the basics of a few acclaimed Disney attractions.

Tower of Terror: A lift pummets several times with a haunted hotel theme

Muppetvision,Tough to be a bug, Phillarmagic: 3D/4D films

Splash Mountain: A log flume ride

Far as I know. The basic rides of all 3 of these attractions, were nothing new from other theme parks. Just about every theme park ever has a log flume and theres a fair few Tower of Terrors about. Muppetvision may of been revolutionary but the other 4 attractions are not really "new" ideas. But Disney set them apart from the basic attractions by giving them a story or a "theme" and running wild with it. Or even looking at the attraction themselves and asking what they can do to spruce up the idea.

AI wont just be "another" American Idol audition show for kicks. I bet you that much. I'm sure imagineers have learned from the mistakes of Millionare and are going to fine tune this one so its got enough Disney magic to make it fun for everyone

DigitalDisney

I haven't read through all 19 pages of this monolithic thread, but I didn't see this mentioned in any of the pages

Anyways...

Why is Disney promoting something for the competition? Disney owns ABC, and American Idol is on FOX. What gives?

Sherrybaby

I am really curious as to why no one is talking about this "age limit rule". What is the age limit rule and how is this justified? If someone can shed some light on it please do. My mother is not "old" but she's all jazzed up about this attraction since she's done some singing in her life--she's actually very good. But if there is a limit I want to let her know because she's already saving money to get to WDW in 2008.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Sherry

jt04

I haven't read through all 19 pages of this monolithic thread, but I didn't see this mentioned in any of the pages

Anyways...

Why is Disney promoting something for the competition? Disney owns ABC, and American Idol is on FOX. What gives?

Synergy

OmegaKnight

Anyways...

Even though American Idol airs on Fox, the rights to the franchise are owned by 19 Entertainment/FremantleMedia. They are the ones who have the say on everything AI related not dealing with TV.

uklad79

Not all of the auditioning will be done directly in front of Cast Members, as I mentioned earlier...

From Disney’s online Cast Member web site, The Hub:
“That experience will include an audition process, open to all who register, where Guests perform “live” in video kiosks in full view of a panel of screeners.”

The initial registration and auditions will not take place in front of Cast Members or guests directly, but rather via video kiosks. It’s unclear as to whether the “screeners” are real people or virtual singing “experts”.

http://www.attractionsmagazine.com/blog/?p=254

Maybe they have 10 video pods where you go in and sing for 2 mins and it's recorded and you leave your mobile phone number. They randomly select a few peoples videos and call them to come and do the show at a time in teh day that suits their plans i.e. some people may have dineing reservations so they fit them into a show that allows them to still make their reservation.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=275319&page=3

I mentioned this on page 3 of the other thread. It is the only way they could make people feel like they were all getting a chance without having to have loads of CM's watching all the the thousands of auditions. This way they can just randomly select a few people making it quick and easy and not labour intensive.

uklad79

It's just come to me why I hate this format coming to Disney so much. Disney is about making dreams come true, having fun, seeing people happy and escaping from reality. American Idol is about a wake up call, ruining peoples dreams and forcing them to face reality, being nasty to people. So how does that fit? It doesn't at all, it's totally against what Disney is about. They have picked up this format because it's popular and it's a TV show so fit's the studio idea but that is all they have looked at. They needed to look deeper into why this isn't right to be staged at Disney.
I can see this not being a fun day for many people who choose to take part. With people not being selected when they thought they were good, being losers in the live section of the show, or loosing in the end of day final. Yes they may have not been selected or lost in the live section because they are bad singers but is Disney the place to discover you are not as good as you thought? I don't think so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom