Amazing Photos of Treehouse Villa Demolition

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Could very well be mold issues as well :hurl:
Mold is generally only an issue on drywall which is pretty much never salvaged. Lumber, doors, windows, etc will not support the types of mold that are infamous for causing health problems.

magic1

Any type of cellulose product, including wood, can support mold. So your statement that only dry wall can support the type of mold that is hazardous is incorrect. All type of mold in some ways is a health issue, especially for young children and senior citizens whose immune systems are not developed or lacking due to age. As long as spores are released there is a health issue.I have been an organic chemist in the environmental field for twenty years and presently manage a lab in CT.

This is my first time ever responding to a post on WDW but i do enjoy coming on and reading the threads everyone posts on a daily basis. I can't wait for my family's next visit in late September.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend, Mark

hazelrah

Reminds me of the Horizons demolition photos:
http://www.wdwmagic.com/horizons_demolition.htm

Holy smokes. I wish I had never seen that. I've been online in various Disney sites since long before Horizons came down, but for some reason had never seen the demo pictures (or I had blocked them out of my mind).

That is outright traumatic. Such a beautiful show-building, and these pics make it look like some post-apocalyptic Disney landscape. Nothing against the M:S show-building, which is decent, if a bit low-key for the rest of Future World, but Horizons was a jewel. How could they do that to Horizons? Not only do they close it, apparently guests could snatch pictures of the rotting corpse.

Gut-wrenching...

diddy_mouse

I'm sorry but the Treehouses in their current state kinda creeped me out. The last time we stayed at POFQ my husband kept doing that little sound from the Friday the 13th movies (choo choo choo...kah kah kah...) every time we went past them on the DTD boat. :lookaroun Ugh...I still get the creeps to this day :lol:

nanna

I have known many people who lived in the tree houses right up until January of this year. Although they did have their problems, they grew to love them and becam attached to their home. :(

ArnyVee

Great, you had to bring up the demolition of Horizons. :(

Now I can't sleep from those images. :mad:

What a beautiful attraction...and replaced by a vomit-inducing spin ride. Sheesh. :hurl:

Rob562

As far as I know they will not be ADA compliant. The only way I know that they can get away with this to to have the tree house villas be a a part of another resort that has ADA compliant rooms. In this case it would more than likely be SSR.

Well, the floorplan of the new treehouses is all one level, whereas the old one was two. They eliminated the interior stairs. So the only problem with them not being accessible is getting up the outside entrance stairs. On the ones they designate as being handicap accessible, can't they just build ramps?

The floorplans that made it out onto the Internet from the zoning hearings just showed the floorplan of a "typical" unit shwoing outdoor stairs. There's nothing saying that ALL of them will be exactly the same. And because they're already reducing the footprint of each villa, they'll have saved more than enough "wetlands encroachment" credit to built a few ramps.
Or, go a little more expensive and somehow build small elevators for each handicap-accessible unit.

-Rob

Its kind of sad seeing them go...My first time really seeing them in person was last year in November when I took the boat from POR to DTD. There was people staying in them at the time. I cant wait to see the new ones that are going to take their place.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
i might be in the minority here, but it doesnt bother me that they are removing somehting off property that was just sitting stagnant for years. im uncertain of the new plans for the property, but it sure beats these outdated eye sores.

jt04

Original Poster
i might be in the minority here, but it doesnt bother me that they are removing somehting off property that was just sitting stagnant for years. im uncertain of the new plans for the property, but it sure beats these outdated eye sores.

Not sure what you mean by "off property" because that section is very much on Disney property. I will be stunned if the final result (new tree houses) isn't absolutely one of the best resorts on property when finished. I can't wait to see the final results. I am really hoping these are going to be Deluxe accomadations in the 500.00 a night range. Not that I can afford it. :)

carenyllie

Not sure what you mean by "off property" because that section is very much on Disney property. I will be stunned if the final result (new tree houses) isn't absolutely one of the best resorts on property when finished. I can't wait to see the final results. I am really hoping these are going to be Deluxe accomadations in the 500.00 a night range. Not that I can afford it. :)

I have to disagree with this. The accommodation type I think Disney is lacking the most is an affordable option for families of 5 and 6. Maybe a type of "value" condo/suite unit would be GREAT!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well, the floorplan of the new treehouses is all one level, whereas the old one was two. They eliminated the interior stairs. So the only problem with them not being accessible is getting up the outside entrance stairs. On the ones they designate as being handicap accessible, can't they just build ramps?

The floorplans that made it out onto the Internet from the zoning hearings just showed the floorplan of a "typical" unit shwoing outdoor stairs. There's nothing saying that ALL of them will be exactly the same. And because they're already reducing the footprint of each villa, they'll have saved more than enough "wetlands encroachment" credit to built a few ramps.
Or, go a little more expensive and somehow build small elevators for each handicap-accessible unit.

-Rob
You are correct the plans were only listed as "typical" which could mean that there are alternative designs that will be ADA compliant. I doubt that ramps would really be a practical solution though. The maximum slope for an ADA compliant ramp is 1/12. This would mean to get to a height of 13' the ramp would need to be a minimum of 156' long. There are exterior grade wheel chair lifts commercially available so I would imagine that would be the ADA solution if there is one.

jt04

Original Poster
Let me try again. Not trying to offend but Disney is not legally required to make any of the Treehouses ADA compliant. Period. They are required to offer ADA compliant accomadations. Period. But not all accomadations are required to be ADA compliant. It really is not complicated.

Also, the reason I hope these are built to the very high end of the luxury (and price) scale is that WDW really need facilities that cater to those with a lot of disposible income. Thereby increasing profits and allowing Disney to build the attractions we all want to see built. Simple as that. And if you think that strategy won't work I suggest you check out the "Vegastodayandtomorrow" web site. :)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Eesh, that one made me cringe. At least with the tree houses, there were... well, trees to block some of the view of the chaos unlike Horizons...
yey. try walking around SSE and turning the corner to head to Horizons in 1999-2000 and seeing that *live*. we had no idea it was happening when we headed down there.

Not sure what you mean by "off property" because that section is very much on Disney property.
yes, im aware that they are on property. i meant to remove them from the disney property, off property to a landfill. i have ridden those mini boats by them before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom