Am I the only person who thinks Night Kingdom might actually be GREAT?

Brian_B

Original Poster
Brian_B, I think this type of experience for a boutique park would be amazing for Night Kingdom. We must think alike...I had just about the same idea about Night Kingdom when I read about it. This is a totally unique experience, and I would definitely go see it.

Night Kingdom would be a boutique park, and would not detract in any way from any of the existing theme parks. This would be Disney's answer to Discovery Cove, and, in my opinion, Night Kingdom would be so much better than Discovery Cove if it's anything like we've heard.

My thoughts exactly. I got so into what I imagined them doing with this concept that I made up my mind to build it one day if they don't! Hey, a guy can dream. What's more is that there are so many possibilities. Wdwgoof07, I want to clarify that I didn't mean the place should be themed to Indiana Jones, nor to any preexisting franchise! I was using Indy as an example. I think the stories told at Night Kingdom would definitely be better off if they were completely unique. To answer Donfan, I can imagine them creating basically a template park, with several distinct themed areas; "lands", if you will. New stories can be created around the existing areas in these lands, so for example, the last time you visited the park your end goal was to find the key to unlock the Pharaoh's tomb, but now you actually BEGIN there, and receive your first clue from a mummy animatronic that wasn't there last year when you visited. Flexibility could work in great ways; the experience could be humorous and lighthearted, like the haunted mansion, evoke a sense of wonder the way The Living Seas did (for some), or even scare the wits out of you a la Alien Encounter. If the place is large enough, it could easily facilitate numerous "Games" running concurrently, each monitored and staffed by Cast Members who will take part in the "action", and then several parties could partake in any one "game", sort of like the way different groups of people move through a game of miniature golf. Of course there would be checks and balances in place so that each party is watched at all times if they become stuck or need any kind of help whatsoever. Perhaps "main street" would serve as a kind of "home base" where a party could regroup if they got separated, or purchase a refreshing beverage or snack (and definitely a themed souvenir or three, which the park will hold so as not to impede the adventure)

That said, you have 300+ posts, and you still can't put topics in the correct forums? This is neither news, nor a rumor.
Thank you for this nicely worded assertion. You're right, I am far too stupid to discern mere discussion from an actual new rumor or news item, even though the topic of this thread clearly pertains to one. Plus, it's not like I created the thread at 3 in the morning or anything...:lookaroun
At any rate, if it bothers you that much, I apologize. :D

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
True. There aren't any real magic crystals that open up ancient stone doors though, as far as I know. Plus, with the military you have to factor in that whole potentially-dying thing.

think outside the box man, grenades or PE. And statistically youre more likely to die in an RTA. :animwink:

Shaman

No you're not alone. But I think a lot of fans are cautiously waiting for more concrete details regarding this "Night Kingdom" before they become anything more than "interested".

I think whoever is responsible for this idea (be it real or fabricated) fails to realize that like yourself who are in the overlap of liking Disney World and the activities mentioned are few and far between. Most people who would like such a thing wont be found at WDW.

If true, it would be incentive enough to build a small "park" that attracts this new demographic. :shrug:

WDWGoof07

Brian_B, I knew what you meant. I just used Indiana Jones as an example, but an original story would be best. I would be curious to see WDI could come up with. The potential is very exciting indeed!

imagineer boy

Look at all the stuff that Disney could spend their money on rather than this park:

1. Somthing for the 20k lagoon
2. A large redo fo ToonTown
3. A replacement, or facelift for the Indy speedway
4. A huge DL-style refurb of Space Mountain
5. Replacements for MILF and SGE
6. A good rehab to Buzz
7. A big rehab to Peter Pan
8. Somthing for the old skyway station(s)
9. Somthing for WoL
10. A rehab of UoE
11. New countries in World Showcase, as well as possibly new rides for the existing ones
12. A new film for Soarin.
13. A rehab for GMR
14. An Indy ride like the one at DL for DHS
15. Star Tours 2.0
16. A new mupets film
17. SOMTHING to make the backlot ride better
18. Improvements to LMAX
19. Somthing to make Camp Minni-Mickey better
20. New land like Australia or Beastly Kingdom to AK
21. A refurb for Dinosaur
22. Something to make Conservation Station more worth it
23. Finnish extention of Pop Century
22. Monorail expansion :)lookaroun okay, I'm kidding)
23. Some sort of replacement or something for River Country

And there's even more. I think you get my point.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Even if it does get built, and Disney says it's a fifth gate, I don't think it will ever REALLY be a fifth gate. Nut unless they drop the price tag so families can enjoy it without going broke. Disney is expensive enough, we don't need to be told that our vacation isn't complete unless we throw down that kind of cash on ANOTHER park.

abreadcrumboi

i agree.. disney has a lot more thing that they could be doing other than this supposed "Night Kingdom", but i have faith in the imagineers and believe that it could be something great

GeneralKnowledge

That said, you have 300+ posts, and you still can't put topics in the correct forums? This is neither news, nor a rumor.

It's discussion of a rumored project.....where else would it go....couldn't be general discussion because that is for the discussion of "everyday happenings at Walt Disney World"...last time I checked Disney's Night Kingdom is not yet an everyday happening at WDW. Sorry for the rant, I just get sick of people whining about topic categorization when its not an issue.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Look at all the stuff that Disney could spend their money on rather than this park:

6. A good rehab to Buzz
9. Somthing for WoL
10. A rehab of UoE
11. New countries in World Showcase, as well as possibly new rides for the existing ones
13. A rehab for GMR
15. Star Tours 2.0
16. A new mupets film
18. Improvements to LMAX

Yes they could, and I believe current discussions indicate that items 19, 20, 15, 4, 11 and 12 are most likely already in the works.

The difficulty with your argument however is that your list is what YOU think is most important, or what you consider would make WDW "more perfect". Try to put on your businessmans hat. I would love to ride the monorail to AK and MGM...is it value added? Probably not. Would a change to Dino, Muppets, Peter Pan, Buzz or UoE bring one more person into the park? probably not.

Why did Disney waste so much money on golf courses....I don't golf, it is not a family activity for MY family? Does it bring in good money? Yup, Do a lot of people like that as a big part of their vacation instead of spending it in the parks? You bet! Do a number of regular Disney visitors who enjoy the links not have a clue what SGE or Backlot or Fantasmic even are? I would be willing to guess yes.

So, while clearly not for everyone, it may very well be popular with a large enough group to provide income to support some of your preferences.

Shaman

Even if it does get built, and Disney says it's a fifth gate, I don't think it will ever REALLY be a fifth gate. Nut unless they drop the price tag so families can enjoy it without going broke. Disney is expensive enough, we don't need to be told that our vacation isn't complete unless we throw down that kind of cash on ANOTHER park.

I think you're right. It will never be a 5th gate. Not only because of admission prices but because it doesn't sound like it will be too big anyway. Like the water parks.

I wonder what kind of insurance Disney will have to pay though...zip-lining accidents anyone? Probably one of the reasons for a high admission prices. :lookaroun

The Orlando Sentinel must be salivating.....:lol:

GeneralKnowledge

6. A good rehab to Buzz
9. Somthing for WoL
10. A rehab of UoE
13. A rehab for GMR
15. Star Tours 2.0
16. A new mupets film
18. Improvements to LMAX

Just an aside, but do you really think they're going to replace MILF any time soon? You might as well have put TSM replacement on that list :lol:. The rest of the list was pretty good though.

Donfan

All in all, I don't think that this would need to be a full 5th gate. Why not something like the P&PP, MNSSHP, or MVMCP on specific evenings at the Animal Kingdom. With a few modifications and some real imagination, this could work pretty well as a separate ticketed event. Basically, it could cost $45 for the entry and the first clue, then you're on your own. If you can't find the second clue, you could get it for $50. If you can't find the third, $75, and so on. The harder Disney makes it, the more money they make. If it's too hard, just give up and come back some other time. I'm sure they could figure out a better pricing scheme. But it doesn't need to be a full 5th gate and could be created without hitting the budget very hard.

WDWFigment

Thank you for this nicely worded assertion. You're right, I am far too stupid to discern mere discussion from an actual new rumor or news item, even though the topic of this thread clearly pertains to one. Plus, it's not like I created the thread at 3 in the morning or anything...
At any rate, if it bothers you that much, I apologize.

Sorry, I didn't meant to imply that you were stupid--you clearly articulated idea and original post suggest exactly the contrary. All the extra posts, etc. just get a little frustrating. No offense meant (nor is what's below directed specifically at you). :wave:

It's discussion of a rumored project.....where else would it go....couldn't be general discussion because that is for the discussion of "everyday happenings at Walt Disney World"...last time I checked Disney's Night Kingdom is not yet an everyday happening at WDW. Sorry for the rant, I just get sick of people whining about topic categorization when its not an issue.

There always is the possibility that it belongs in an already-existing thread. Everyone values their own opinions highly, but if everyone thought their own opinion was meritorious of a new thread, these forums would be overloaded with threads with very similar discussions. :lookaroun

Just as you may get sick of people whining about topic categorization when, in your opinion, it isn't an issue, I get tired of people mis-categorizing topics, failing to do searches, etc. when it wouldn't be much extra work. It bogs down the forums and distracts from topics with new or unique information.

echoreyn

There are so many rumors and so much speculation about what might go in the park that, at this point, I don't think any of us can really say it's a wonderful or a horrible idea. No true details have been released about it yet. Do we even know for sure that it is going to happen or that Disney will advertise it as the fifth gate?

IMO, it sounds like an interesting idea, and if Disney is creating the park, I'm sure it will be amazing. However, I think what many of us (myself included) don't like about these Night Kindom rumors is the high cost. It would cost over a thousand dollars to go to this park with my family, and in my household at least, that's a lot of money. Basically, I think people would be more excited about this idea if they felt like this experience, whatever it might be, would be something they would be able to afford and to enjoy as well.

DisneyDellsDude

I didn't read everything so far, but why are we calling it a "theme park"? It just seems to be a single "adventure" that you may take if you want to pay for it. From what it sounds like so far, I don't think you'd be able to park hop to it.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Looking at all that screamscape posted, it sounds like wild rumor on their end.

KP was not a test for KP elsewhere - it is going into Epcot, we have permits for it.

CaptainMichael

I don't see how this could be a small park and still offer the experience they are trying to create. Also, the tallest the "mountain" could be is 199ft., unless they put a light on top. I guess I just don't get this idea.

If I want to play Survivor/Amazing Race, I'll go to a real Island/Jungle/whatever where it's nothing but trees and mountains for miles and miles.

WDWGoof07

Merf, no one is saying that KP won't be going to Epcot (though the timing is strange because I thought they weren't making any new episodes). Maybe KP is a field test for the Night Kingdom concept?

markjohns1

I think the rumored Night Kingdom may be quite a unique experience, and I am definitely inerested to see how it unfolds. One aspect of WDW that I think keeps people coming back and keeps them on property for extended periods of time is the variety of activities that are available. It's not just theme parks and rides that keep people on property. There are countless activities on property that have nothing to do with MK, Epcot, DHS, or AK. There are also activities available at the parks that are outside the normal theme park experience (Segway tour at Epcot, as an example). I think Night Kingdom potentially allows for a completely unique experience from anything you can experience at WDW now, and for that reason I think it could be a great addition.

One thing I find so odd is how big of a deal semantics are here. Is the uproar because it is categorized as the 5th Gate? What if the rumor surfaced as if it was a new supplementary experience, like DisneyQuest or the water parks? Would it be as big of a deal?

List of stuff.
Disney can potentially make a lot of money of this park. Like ClemsonTigger pointed out, this can have a direct impact on raising revenue. As much as I'd like to see many of those items in the list become a reality, I realize that an addition like Night Kingdom can possibly fund those types of projects. Money has to come from somewhere in order to take on those projects that don't have a direct impact on revenue, like changing the Soarin' film or refurbishing <fill in the blank> attraction.

And assuming it is even true that "most people" who like this type of thing don't come to WDW, Night Kingdom brings about the possibility of attracting those people and their families. I can't imagine that would be a bad thing at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom