Am I the only person who thinks Night Kingdom might actually be GREAT?

KaliSplash

Well, I've read through the thread and we've established that you're not the only one. There must be a good half-dozen or so.

If what we've seen so far is any indication of what they really plan, then I think the combination of the supposed cost, the complexity, and the limited market will cause this to follow the Disney Institute down the path to extinction.

But I have been wrong before :)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
So, you're effectively calling them a joke, yet you previously post about wanting to work there?

Strike 1 tonight Robert, what's next?

How many strikes do i get? And since when do you make baseball references? Does this mean I can make a sweep of it and try to steal 3rd while rounding my way to home? With how many times people here try to bludgeon me with the ball I should at least get a walk to first base.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
They might not bring new people to the parks, but I can assure you that it will improve an average guest's visit and therefor, improve the likelyness that they'll return.

I can assure you that most people will be more willing to pay money to play on golf courses than to climb a fake mountain and go through fake caves. Heck, you can go through fake caves on Tom Sawyer's Island for a lot less money!

MILF will be gone in a few years time. Trust me. I will be very surprised if it lasts more than ten years.

Don't be so sure, look at California Adventure, Disney Studios Paris, and Hong King Disneyland.

While I don't disagree with your passion, I find it hard to go along with your claims on the responses of the "average guest". Based on guest number for the past few years, I don't think there is any threat for reduction of return visitors.

While your comments on the "deficient parks" are valid, lets label as the "dark ages" of Disney. That "non-Disney" management has been replaced. With the long overdue overhaul of DL, the public recognition of DCA as a disaster, attention being paid to DP and greater attention now being shown to WDW, hopefully in a few years you won't be able to make that claim.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
How many strikes do i get? And since when do you make baseball references? Does this mean I can make a sweep of it and try to steal 3rd while rounding my way to home? With how many times people here try to bludgeon me with the ball I should at least get a walk to first base.

You've already struck out (with the Mouse and this site). You just keep changing jerseys and reinserting yourself into the lineup.

bfbulldog

Disney should keep their focus on improving the parks they already operate before they worry about offering niche experiences to a minuscule number of people. If they took all the money and the engineering time that is being wasted on this and focus it on re-opening or replacing some of the closed attractions ie.20K, restaurants and experiences that have disappeared over the last 20 or so years, or better yet go back to keeping all the parks open late midnight or later year round as was standard procedure not too long ago. They'll get the same result they'll make more money. This would be a failure the like of which Disney has never experienced should this happen. I hope it gets the result it deserves and that's to be placed in the nearest trash can never to be heard from again.

Enderikari

If they took all the money and the engineering time that is being wasted on this and focus it on re-opening or replacing some of the closed attractions ie.20K, restaurants and experiences that have disappeared over the last 20 or so years,
Right, because Disney hasn't added ANYTHING to its parks in the last 20 years that makes up for the loss of 2 or three attractions. Definitely not two full theme parks; definitely not a whole shopping/dining complex; definitely not added any new experiences either (shows haven't ever changed, mountains haven't been constructed)

or better yet go back to keeping all the parks open late midnight or later year round as was standard procedure not too long ago.
Year round? Are you high? When were the parks open year round until midnight? I'll tell you when... NEVER. Stop studying at the False Altar of Kevin Yee and realize that you are stating baseless facts. Those "years" when the Magic Kingdom was open "year-round" until mid-night, "year-round" only applied to the summer months (which Disney is pretty much duplicating nowadays anyway), and those months where it didn't apply had the MK shutting down at 6 pm almost every day. The weekends were the only time where the park was open while it was dark outside, and the fireworks and nighttime parades only happened then. Seems like people are getting a better value for their money then they EVER HAVE BEFORE.

Something I found on another site was pretty telling, I'll copy it for you here.

For example, I was searching through my old park maps and found one from the year 1995. I was shocked at the parks hours I saw.. Now, I understand this was more of an off-season, but the hours I am looking at are as follows:

Sunday - Saturday, December 3 - 9, 1995
Park Hours: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Now, they were going to be having the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party on the 7th, 8th, and 9th (Three days in a row!) from 8:00 PM to 1:00 AM; but other than that, No nighttime parade, no nighttime fireworks. In other words, the Magic Kingdom is kind of a bust for entertainment.

Compare that with the same time period this year

Dec 3rd, 2007 - 9 AM to 10 PM (EMH until 1 AM)
Dec 4th, 2007 - 9 AM to 7 PM MVMCP (7 PM - 12 PM)
Dec 5th, 2007 - 9 AM to 10 PM
Dec 6th, 2007 - 9 AM to 7 PM (EMH 8 AM - 9 AM) MVMCP (7 PM - 12 PM)
Dec 7th, 2007 - 9 AM to 7 PM MVMCP (7 PM - 12 PM)
Dec 8th, 2007 - 9 AM to 1 AM!
Dec 9th, 2007 - 9 AM to 7 PM MVMCP (7 PM - 12 PM)

Ok, so there is one more Christmas Party, but even on the MVMCP nights, the park is open an hour later, and to top it all off, they are going to have Wishes at 6 or 6:30 every night!

That's 19 more hours that the Magic Kingdom will be open over the 1995 hours. So, perhaps the demographics of people visiting show that more people of today try to visit in what used to be considered non-traditional times. Its a trade-off, as is everything else.

TakeMe2TheMagic

I really don't like the idea of Night Kingdom. As other posters have said I think instead of using all that money on another park, how about putting the money in the four theme parks and 2 water parks they already have. There are at least a half of dozen rides/attractions at MK that need major TLC. Not to mention the empty pavilion we have Epcot. Beside the other parks need TLC I dont like this idea for Night Kingdom, I mean zip lining and rock wall climbing can both be done at other places. Ifs not something you can only do at Disney. Besides that I love Disney for the rides shows parades and most of all the imagination all of us do. Thats why we love it and return over and over again. Who knows what the future brings, lets just hope its not Night Kingdom.

WDWFREAK53

I really don't like the idea of Night Kingdom. As other posters have said I think instead of using all that money on another park, how about putting the money in the four theme parks and 2 water parks they already have. There are at least a half of dozen rides/attractions at MK that need major TLC. Not to mention the empty pavilion we have Epcot. Beside the other parks need TLC I dont like this idea for Night Kingdom, I mean zip lining and rock wall climbing can both be done at other places. Ifs not something you can only do at Disney. Besides that I love Disney for the rides shows parades and most of all the imagination all of us do. Thats why we love it and return over and over again. Who knows what the future brings, lets just hope its not Night Kingdom.

Easy answer. Disney won't see a source of income coming in specifically for one ride or refubishment. Disney sees income with it's Pleasure Island (hehe, at least at one time it did). Disney wants to have a steady income for the evenings. They are still going to have the 4 theme parks and 2 water parks available for families during the day and evening...but they want to give the adults something to do at night that doesn't involve "clubbing" because, frankly, clubbing can be done EVERYWHERE!

RSoxNo1

When/where do the tickets for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party go on sale, and how much do they cost? I'll be in WDW from 11/29-12/10, and I've never been.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Right, because Disney hasn't added ANYTHING to its parks in the last 20 years that makes up for the loss of 2 or three attractions. Definitely not two full theme parks; definitely not a whole shopping/dining complex; definitely not added any new experiences either (shows haven't ever changed, mountains haven't been constructed)

Year round? Are you high? When were the parks open year round until midnight? I'll tell you when... NEVER. Stop studying at the False Altar of Kevin Yee and realize that you are stating baseless facts. Those "years" when the Magic Kingdom was open "year-round" until mid-night, "year-round" only applied to the summer months (which Disney is pretty much duplicating nowadays anyway), and those months where it didn't apply had the MK shutting down at 6 pm almost every day. The weekends were the only time where the park was open while it was dark outside, and the fireworks and nighttime parades only happened then. Seems like people are getting a better value for their money then they EVER HAVE BEFORE.

Something I found on another site was pretty telling, I'll copy it for you here.

Why do you insist on inserting facts into this discussion? :animwink:

Iakona

Join the military, you get all this stuff and they pay you to travel.

But I'm in America and would likely end up in Iraq or Afghanistan. They are shooting real bullets.

think outside the box man,

Exactly, outside of that box I'd get shipped home in!

There always is the possibility that it belongs in an already-existing thread. Everyone values their own opinions highly, but if everyone thought their own opinion was meritorious of a new thread, these forums would be overloaded with threads with very similar discussions. :lookaroun
Just as you may get sick of people whining about topic categorization when, in your opinion, it isn't an issue, I get tired of people mis-categorizing topics, failing to do searches, etc. when it wouldn't be much extra work. It bogs down the forums and distracts from topics with new or unique information.

Which is why we have mods that do a great job.

This is a great idea for some....just not me.

I think that's the point (and I don't mean that they don't want you!). This is not aimed at the average guest.

I was at DCA in 2000 and loved it! Is that wrong?????:lookaroun:lookaroun:lookaroun

Nope, I looved it too, although I am excited aboutt he changes they are making.

As I said in the other thread; I am looking forward to what they finally come up with. I won't start judging based on rumored details from JHM and Screamscape.

I would be curious to see what Lee or Corrus could add to the discussion.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
When/where do the tickets for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party go on sale, and how much do they cost? I'll be in WDW from 11/29-12/10, and I've never been.

Usually May, gate price for age 10+ is around $50, but discounts of $10 or so are available for pre order and special dates. Those will be listed when the dates are announced.

You will have access to some nice dates that aren't particularly crowded.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
But I'm in America and would likely end up in Iraq or Afghanistan. They are shooting real bullets.
Exactly, outside of that box I'd get shipped home in!

So its the concept of risk free adventure that is exciting, no doubt preferably from a vibrating chair with a steady supply of drinks and cheetos.

Whats life without taking the odd risk?

Iakona

So its the concept of risk free adventure that is exciting, no doubt preferably from a vibrating chair with a steady supply of drinks and cheetos.

Whats life without taking the odd risk?

Iraq and Afghanistan are slightly mpre than the "odd risk" IMHO. My brother in law, blind in one eye with severe head injuries from Iraq, is evidence of that.
Scary thing is I think, even at 36, the US military would wlecome me with open arms!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom