Am I the only person who thinks Night Kingdom might actually be GREAT?

imagineer boy

The difficulty with your argument however is that your list is what YOU think is most important, or what you consider would make WDW "more perfect". Try to put on your businessmans hat. I would love to ride the monorail to AK and MGM...is it value added? Probably not. Would a change to Dino, Muppets, Peter Pan, Buzz or UoE bring one more person into the park? probably not.

They might not bring new people to the parks, but I can assure you that it will improve an average guest's visit and therefor, improve the likelyness that they'll return.

Why did Disney waste so much money on golf courses....I don't golf, it is not a family activity for MY family? Does it bring in good money? Yup, Do a lot of people like that as a big part of their vacation instead of spending it in the parks? You bet! Do a number of regular Disney visitors who enjoy the links not have a clue what SGE or Backlot or Fantasmic even are? I would be willing to guess yes.

I can assure you that most people will be more willing to pay money to play on golf courses than to climb a fake mountain and go through fake caves. Heck, you can go through fake caves on Tom Sawyer's Island for a lot less money!

Just an aside, but do you really think they're going to replace MILF any time soon? You might as well have put TSM replacement on that list :lol:. The rest of the list was pretty good though.

MILF will be gone in a few years time. Trust me. I will be very surprised if it lasts more than ten years.

IMO, it sounds like an interesting idea, and if Disney is creating the park, I'm sure it will be amazing.

Don't be so sure, look at California Adventure, Disney Studios Paris, and Hong King Disneyland.

Animaniac93-98

I wonder what kind of insurance Disney will have to pay though...zip-lining accidents anyone? Probably one of the reasons for a high admission prices. :lookaroun

The Orlando Sentinel must be salivating.....:lol:

Clever you, I never thought of this before. I can just see the headline now: "300+ Pound Man Falls From Disney Zipline"

My problem with Night Kingdom is not just the fact that this kind of experience is best done somewhere else where there are real mountains and caves such. (or how about an old fashioned outdoor family activity you could do for free at your home?) but that I think it would get really boring really fast. Some people might work better than others in teams and finish the challenge faster, then have no interest in seeing the animals because they already did they day before at AK and then leave after an hour. Worth $300+? No way. Unless that includes whatever insurance might be included.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Only if Ohio has Omnimover/AA E-Ticket style attractions.

Hershey in Pennsylvania does. It's actually quite interesting too - and they give you free chocolate when you get off!

What would Ohio's be about? Making bricks? I swear every tourist attraction in Ohio is about red bricks and how they're made or how this town supported the factory or how this town is where they get the red clay.. Ugh. bricks.

And their scenic railroad is not scenic - unless you want to see empty fields where they USED to make bricks.

Animaniac93-98

I actually, throughly enjoy the Adventures in Making Bricks ride. Gotta love the Sherman Brothers theme song for it.

And tell me more of this "free" chocolate you speak of.

MousDad

Hershey in Pennsylvania does. It's actually quite interesting too - and they give you free chocolate when you get off!

What would Ohio's be about? Making bricks? I swear every tourist attraction in Ohio is about red bricks and how they're made or how this town supported the factory or how this town is where they get the red clay.. Ugh. bricks.

And their scenic railroad is not scenic - unless you want to see empty fields where they USED to make bricks.

You're right, Merf, the dark ride at Hershey' World of Chocolate is not bad at all, and definitely Disney inspired. Plus it's free! Can't beat that.

TP2000

For Disney's sake, I hope "yes." It would be awfully embarassing for them to build this place and no one shows up.

That already happened with DCA. It's costing them a billion dollars to fix it.

While I appreciate the OP's thoughts and explanations behind some of these "geocaching" and college clue games, it's not helping with the sales pitch on Night Kingdom for me.

I've said it before, but the more I hear about Night Kingdom the more I think this is either going to be a bigger disaster for Disney than DCA was, or a small group of folks at WDI is having an elaborate joke at the expense of the online fan community. :eek:

tigfan

I've said it before, but the more I hear about Night Kingdom the more I think this is either going to be a bigger disaster for Disney than DCA was, or a small group of folks at WDI is having an elaborate joke at the expense of the online fan community. :eek:

I've considered that possibility as well. It's been documented that Disney has people watching fan sites. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that Disney probably now uses fan sites like this just to test the reception of ideas before spending $$ to build new attractions, parks, etc. I'm sure a lot of rumors are intentionally leaked for that purpose. Having said that, I REALLY hope they're paying attention to all the negative reception this idea is getting. I think it is a horrible, horrible idea. As another poster already stated, Disney should have learned from the Disney Institute experience. People don't want to have to work for things or be structured on their vacations. Night Kingdom definitely sounds like too much work and too much structure.

tigfan

That is cute! thanks for the link.

And if the Disney Institute has taught us anything it's that sadly, most people seem to want mindless, idiot-proof experiences on their vacations.

I disagree with the conclusion that people want "mindless, idiot-proof experiences on their vacations". What the failure of the Disney Institute proved was that people don't want to spend their vacations attending a class for several hours. That doesn't mean that people just want "mindless" entertainment or that they don't want to be engaged mentally.

The problem with the Night Kingdom concept is not the fact that it's a cerebral experience. But I really don't think there's going to be a huge market for people who want to pay gobs of money to go into a park and spend the whole time solving puzzles.

Animaniac93-98

Ok, I'll admit that "idiot-proof" was a bit harsh, but people generally do go on vacation to stop thinking about problems and relax. Causing more problems and questions on a Disney vacation may be too much for some guests who get frustrated at every turn in the parks to begin with.

Little Green Men

Why does this have to be considered the "5th gate" as most seem to want to label it as?? Why can't it be its own unique experience such as TL, BB, the initial incarnation of PI, WWoS, or Richard Pettys Driving Experience???? None of these take away from the 4 true gates, they only enhance a persons/families stay if they "choose" to experience them. I see this as no different than what is being currently proposed. It is a boutique experience for those of us who choose to spend the money. If done properly, which I'm sure it will be, it will be self supporting and not drain cash from the existing parks spending on new experiences.
i totally agree! It would be fine to be a recreation activity, but not a main park!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
No, no you are not the only person. People on the internet love to criticize things that they have no idea about. I think Night Kingdom could be an awesome destination, especially if it compares favorably to Discovery Cove (which is simply amazing)
It must be a full moon.

I agree wholeheartedly with your response.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom