Am I the only one who thinks Soarin is overrated?

On our last trip, the first thing we did upon entering the park was Spaceship Earth. Afterwards we went to Soarin', rode and picked up Fast Passes for a second ride later. Came off the ride, there still wasn't a line up yet. So, did it again.

Came back later in the week and did the same thing again. Minus Spaceship Earth, we were just finishing up what was left of Future World before World Showcase opened. We ended up riding it at least five times over two days. And didn't hit a lineup once between getting there early and using the Fast Passes (every time I've ever used a Fast Pass on anything, it was pretty much just a walk-on)

wbc

Soarin' although not my personal favourite or overly exciting is popular for one reason:

It's something the WHOLE family can enjoy. Everything from grandma to little kids.

That is what Walt envisioned Disney attractions to be. For years they forgot this notion, and suddenly when they create an attraction that abides by those rules it's popular.

Vince3

:wave:

I too think it's overrated. I enjoy the ride, that is for sure, but I don't think that I've even tried to ride it in my past few trips. I get enough enjoyment out of that ride for maybe a 10 minute wait. Heck, personally I'd wait longer for Living with the Land than Soarin. Nothing against those that love the ride, but it just does not scream MUST DO to me either.

Well said I totally agree !

PittsBurghFuzz

I dont know. Maybe it's just because Im still mourning over the closure of my once favorite ride, Food Rocks(though as Ive seen vids of it, Im starting to prefer Kitchen Kabaret) but I honestly think that Soarin is a bit overrated. Yes its a good ride if youre sitting on top but if your in the middle or bottom, you can see the floor and the feet of people above you which kinda ruins the experience. Plus, I refuse to wait for and hour and a half to sit in a chair to watch a movie. Like i said, I may just still be looking in the past but I was just wondering if anyone has the same opinion as me.
I went on Soarin', and it is fun, but I don't feel like waiting a 120 minutes or getting a really late Fastpass. I don't even really have it in my itinerary when I go to Disney anymore. It just doesn't do much for me.

MarkTwain

I've heard some CMs quote statistics that place Soarin' as the highest-rated attraction at WDW, in terms of guest satisfaction. I think it's a nice ride but in a resort with attractions like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain or Spaceship Earth I find this very sad.

LambertLion

It's fine. I guess I like it more than some other attractions, but I wouldn't class it with HMansion, TTerror, SplashM, or Everest. I was always kind of baffled by the wait times and chalked it up to "cool ride, not scary, appropriate for all." I always thought the California thing was weird though.

sloppy.joey

I think making the film HD and having you go to countries and landmarks from around the world but randomizing (like star tours) which ones you go to could revitalize this ride and do wonders! 3-D wouldn't hurt either ;)

MarkTwain

I think it'd be more appropriate to redo the film to be exclusively about the natural wonders of the earth - the Grand Canyon, Utah's arches, Iguacu Falls, the Alps/the Himalayas, China's Guilin hills... etc. I don't think it's the Californian theme that feels "off" about Soarin', I feel it's more how it's theme of flight fits into a building called "The Land." If the film were centered entirely around scenery of natural landscapes and land features, then it could be titled something like "Soarin' over the Land" which would fit more nicely along Living with the Land and make more sense in the overall theme of the pavilion. But maybe that's just me. :)

traylorc

Overrated? Not sure I would go that far. In need of a makeover, or at least some upgrading? Yes.

I agree...Soarin definitely needs a makeover. I wish they would employ a similar strategy used when revamping Star Tours. Instead of just playing the same clip over and over...have multiple beginning, middle, and end parts and randomly change things up.

Personally I love Soarin...but I readily admit Disney needs to do something to breathe some new life into this ride!

luv

Thread bump eh? OK, here goes...
Soarin' ain't borin', but the long line has me snorin'.
The house had too much booze a-pourin'
The place was really roarin'
Now my heartburn is a borin'
A hole into my esophag...
Oh, crap.

I like Soarin. The film needs cleaning up, for sure...and I wouldn't wait an hour for anything but my doctor or lotto winnings...but it's a great attraction, IMO.

harryk

Have experienced Soarin several times, the first ride I found interesting but it did nothing for me. The next few because the rest of my family 'loves' it. I find it a total waste of time and have no plans to ride it ever again. I'll wait in the food court or take the boat ride several times while they wait in line to be sprayed with smells and wind.

real mad hatter

My all time favourite.I leave my flip flops on the floor when we take off and love the feeling of the trees brushing my feet when we clip the pine trees,then the spray from the surf hitting my toes( always stretch out my legs at that point ) ;)

Goofyernmost

My all time favourite.I leave my flip flops on the floor when we take off and love the feeling of the trees brushing my feet when we clip the pine trees,then the spray from the surf hitting my toes( always stretch out my legs at that point ) ;)

I'll never do that again. I got a pine needle lodge under my toenail and a jellyfish stung my other foot. No sir, from now on the shoes stay on.:eek:

Seriously though, I think that Soarin has potential to be a classic. I'd like to see a major improvement in film quality and perhaps an altered ending to be DL in California and WDW in Florida. Other than that it is a must for every trip. It is good for almost everyone including the most timid of moving ride folks.:) I'm not bothered by the fact that it is mostly California because California is a big place and geographically is able to show everything that you could find by covering the country. You do recognize some specific Cali landmarks but the rest could be anywhere.

Goofyernmost

Never ridden it and no desire to :)

While you certainly have a right to do that, if you want, I have to ask why? You can't possibly know if you will like something or not if you haven't tried it. Some things like robbery are best left not experienced, but why something as tame as Soarin? Just curious, not judgmental. :)

musketeer

While you certainly have a right to do that, if you want, I have to ask why? You can't possibly know if you will like something or not if you haven't tried it. Some things like robbery are best left not experienced, but why something as tame as Soarin? Just curious, not judgmental. :)

I often wonder the same thing. It's not entirely different than, "I've never been do Disney and I'll never go there, so there!!!"

I used to find myself having that attitude about a lot of things, but really had no idea why.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom