Am I the only one who thinks Soarin is overrated?

Fable McCloud

I sadly haven't made it to Soarin' yet, but I planned on riding it this February/ March for the first time. I'm going with an open mind, but I feel it may be somewhat overrated, but I'll still give it a try. Worst case scenario, it's something to do in Epcot.

minniemickeyfan

I don't think it's overrated, but I do wish that a. the video quality was better, and b. that the two theaters played different videos.

I do however think that the theming of the Soarin' area is sub-par.
I've posted this idea in another thread..why not have more "Soarin's" in World Showcase? I would love to see different areas around the world flying from above than the same California (although its great) , or show something different in the other theater like you mention.

wvdisneyfamily

Maybe not overrated but old. I've been on Soarin at least two dozen times. It's sort of lost it's magic for now. Nothing is like the first time. When my son is older it might regain some magic.

disney4life2008

I completely agree!!! While I love the ride - I will never stand in line for 2 hours (again) to get on it. I understand the continous hype but I am tired of California. I agree with others its time for an update - 3D and flying over the world.

JimboJones123

I don't know how well another subject besides California would work.

Having rode the Busch Gardens Williamsburg attraction Europe in the Air, it was kinda neat, but had flow issues that the Sorin' never feels. Sorin' is an absolutely perfectly executed and edited piece.

I will agree that your connection to the state of California does enhance your experience greatly. We rode it at DCA after a trip to SD. It was pretty dang cool having experienced a few of the scenes before riding the attraction for the first time. Since I have personally been to or flown over just about every one of those spots, I can only give it absolute endorsement.

IF you don't have the same built in emotional connection to the great state of California though, it may come off as very lackluster.

Again, it comes down to production value as well. Just swooping down into the bayou, the plains, rockies, great lakes, and NYC might not edit together quite as perfectly as the current show.

musketeer

Definitely not. Probably the best ride in any Disney park in North America. And I don't understand people saying how it would be better in a better themed area, that makes no sense to me. A ride like that, you are completely isolated from the outside world, so how could the area it is located have any effect?

And why does everyone insist on saying, "they should make it Soarin' over Florida". What in the world is there to see in Florida? The highest point in Florida is probably something like space mountain. There aren't real mountains, there aren't enormous waterfalls, vast deserts, pine forests, rocky shorelines.

I think it would make for a very boring ride.

CP_alum08

Im in the middle, I guess. It's a good ride, but the re-rideabilty is quite low i think. I absolutely don't think its worth some of the wait times it gets but on a slow day with a 15-20 minute wait, it's worth it.

It could use a new video. At least a High def. version of the same. it also could use some disney theming. It's got to be one of the worst themed attractions on property. There is no story and it doesn't really tie in to anything.

AND if I watch another 'behind the scenes' movie with the designer and his stupid erector set I may scream!!!

MarkTwain

Overrated? Maybe.

Worth a 2-hour line for a 5-minute ride? Probably not.

Still one of the best rides Disney has created in the past 10 years? Most likely.

DisneyMusician2

The problem is the line...it really is very innovative and an experience you can't replicate on many other rides.

Now if they just upped the film quality...

Mickey92

Like if they made it HD then that would be Spectacular, but all I feel is that you are moved a bit to the left/right and a bit up/down, not much... I do feel its overrated alot! Agree with the queue aswell, very long waiting times...

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I think that people on here have hit exactly what I was thinking but couldn't say.

're-rideabilty'

When I first rode it years ago at DCA, I thought it was great. But even then, after riding it 2 or 3 times on that trip, I've only ridden it once at Epcot, because I just feel like I've been there already. Nothing fresh and exciting to see. If there was no wait, I'd pop into it, but you will never find me racing to get a Fastpass, or standing in standby for it, unless that standby was 10 minutes or less.

If they could make, say another movie, or multiple movies that switch randomly, maybe I'd venture back in. I realize that they are not going to race to spend money on one of their most popular attractions, but I don't see myself back on that ride until it recieves an update.

ImaYoyo

I enjoy it, but I agree it's overrated. It's poorly themed by Disney standards (including the queue). The only reason it's achieved it's current state of popularity is because Disney has barely built anything new in the last decade.
barely build anything new in the last decade... While I don't refute the other part, I'm not a fan of the last part.

Mission Space
The Seas with Nemo and Friends
Sum of All Thrills (most underrated attraction currently at Epcot)
Kim Possible (one of my new favorites)
Gran Fiesta Tour change (like it or not, it's 'new')
New O Canada Film
New Spaceship Earth
Turtle Talk with Crush
National Treasures Exhibit (i LOVE this little exhibit)
Project Tomorrow
and it's an old 'new', but many younger ones have never seen Captain EO, so I'm calling that 'new' in my book
***and that's just Epcot... * "Disney" has built quite a bit in the last decade.

Methinks that's quite a few new attractions for a theme park to build in 10 years, especially considered to what most other theme parks build in that same time frame. We can also include all of the new restaurants to the mix, since one of the main 'attractions' at Epcot is World Showcase and everything in it.

Cava De Tequila (a hidden gem, but I hope they expand it, it's getting terribly popular)

Both new restaurants in Mexico

Tokyo Dining - another underrated restaurant in my opinion, with GREAT views

Tutto Italia - not a fan, but it's new

Via Nappoli

GLaDOS

Definitely. Most overrated attraction at WDW.

Having rode the Busch Gardens Williamsburg attraction Europe in the Air, it was kinda neat, but had flow issues that the Sorin' never feels. Sorin' is an absolutely perfectly executed and edited piece.

I don't think it's a good idea to use Europe in the Air as an example for what Soarin' Over the World could be. EitA has a bad video with terrible editting, and isn't shot anywhere near the level of Soarin'.

musketeer

Now thats an overrated attraction.

I COMPLETELY agree (about Test Track being overrated), I mean...it's a car ride.

And about other comments regarding "re-rideablilty", I disagree about that too. Last visit, we couldn't do alot of the thrill rides because my wife was pregnant, so we concentrated on Soarin', ride it 7 times over the course of four days, and could easily have ridden it another 7 times.

harryk

Yup - it is very over-rated. Maybe if they change the scenes it would be a little better - but the travel channel is a better ride on my sofa.

At least with test track you get bounced around a bit. I find that fun, especially when I ride with young children who are in the car for the first time.

Pete C

I think the ride fits perfectly in the Land pavilion. You are flying over, and looking at...land. How does this not fit?

As for the ride itself, I like it. It's not amazing, but everyone can enjoy this ride, it is beautiful, and evokes a good feeling. It's also updateable, which is good for the future of the attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom