Am I the only one who finds Stormalong Bay to be overated?

Innkeeper's Club

Am I the only one who finds Stormalong Bay to be overrated?

From what I have read I know that a lot of people seem to very much enjoy Stormalong Bay. However I was wondering if there is anyone else out there like me who found it to be overrated? Don't get me wrong it's got a nice theme and etc, however the whole area is very much spread out and it's always jammed packed, although since it shares with the Yacht Club/Beach Club/Beach Club Villas I can see why. Finally just because the pool has a sand bottom does not impress me.

Personally my favorite Pool in WDW is Luna Park at the Boardwalk Inn/Boardwalk Villas because I happen to enjoy the Clown theme and it's never as busy compared to Stormalong Bay.

Nemo14

I never have understood peoples aversions to clowns. Is it the white face? The hair? The loud clothing?
They're just plain creepy. We used to live next door to a Shriner clown, and whenever there wass a parade or anything, all the clowns would meet at his house and ride to the parade together (no, not in a tiny car). It was like watching a horror movie! :lol:

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
They're just plain creepy. We used to live next door to a Shriner clown, and whenever there wass a parade or anything, all the clowns would meet at his house and ride to the parade together (no, not in a tiny car). It was like watching a horror movie! :lol:

:ROFLOL:

Such a visual!

Upvote 0

Disneyslave

Hi BWI Fan, I think SAB is great for young children. As a parent, that pool has kept my kids so very happy that it has made the BC our favorite resort. The sandy section does not impress me much, as an adult, but for the young kids it is.... Awesome. My kids sit and play, build castles, splash around in the pool....no other pool is comparable in this regard.

This is also what makes SAB a favorite of mine. Our 10 year old is a very hyper only child. With other pools (including Luna Park) she is bored within an hour. SAB - can't drag her out and she doesn't need me in the pool for entertainment. She loved it.

Also once she rode the slid at SAB she thought the LP slide was way too slow (we did a split stay last year).

Also lots of adults not many kids at LP, but opposite at SAB. Now if it was just DH and me, we'd either be at the quiet pool at BC or LP. Love Epcot resorts 'cause WSC is our favorite.

Upvote 0
Absolutley not! SAB is not overrated at all! I personally like it because there are so many nooks and crannies that it never really feels crowded to me. Besides, I love just floating on the lazy river!

Having said that, I'm staying at BWV at the end of July and can't wait to hit the clown pool!

Upvote 0

vjgraham

I will have to disagree with you. We have been there at various time during the year and it is not always too crowded. The complex is very large and it can accomadate alot of people. I especially like the fact that they have wristbands and it keeps the pool hoppers from other resorts out. Sorry but imho it is not overated at all. The clown at the Boardwalk is creepy to say the least.

Upvote 0

GenerationX

We've established many times over in previous threads that clowns are evil. It's the face paint - a thinly-veiled attempt to hide their brooding malevolence.

Stormalong Bay, if put in a class with Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, would indeed be overrated. As a resort feature pool, however, it is without peer at WDW.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
We've established many times over in previous threads that clowns are evil. It's the face paint - a thinly-veiled attempt to hide their brooding malevolence.

Stormalong Bay, if put in a class with Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, would indeed be overrated. As a resort feature pool, however, it is without peer at WDW.

original

Clowns aren't inherently evil, but some do choose a path less chosen.

So anyone wearing face paint is malevolent?

Wearing makeup (lipstick, powder, eyeliner eyeshadow, etc) would make over half the population inherently evil. :lol:

Upvote 0

Nemo14

original

Clowns aren't inherently evil, but some do choose a path less chosen.

So anyone wearing face paint is malevolent?

Wearing makeup (lipstick, powder, eyeliner eyeshadow, etc) would make over half the population inherently evil. :lol:

yup, pretty much.... :p

Upvote 0

Flip83

Have to disagree. I find it to be the best. We dont go in peak times, so it's never overcrowded for us. The boardwalk pool, IMO, is plain and boring... with a touch of creepy with that clown staring at you. When I hear complaints about the pool being "too warm", well that's my complaint for every resort. Anytime we have gone in June, the pools are like bathwater. It's not just stormalong bay. Now last October we went, and it was perfect. Clean, perfect temperature and not crowded AT ALL.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I never have understood peoples aversions to clowns. Is it the white face? The hair? The loud clothing?

I have a theory about this - sort of.

It's a dichotomy thing. Sort of like the hot teacher or librarian - they are not supposed to be, so when they are it is something people gravitate to (except me, my mother was a librarian, so no Oedipusal action here, but my fiancee is a teacher, so there you go)

Anyway, clowns are supposed to be happy and fun. So when they are evil and creepy it is that whole 180 degrees oppisite thing.

Or maybe I am just making this all up

Anyway, I for one, think Stormalong Bay is way overrated. I much prefer the Luna pool. I like to swim, not float around, not spin in a whirlpool, but swim when I am in the hotel pool. It is very hard to do that in SAB. However I will say, my kids LOVE to dig in the sandbar area, but then they love to dig at the beach too.

-dave

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Have to disagree. I find it to be the best. We dont go in peak times, so it's never overcrowded for us. The boardwalk pool, IMO, is plain and boring... with a touch of creepy with that clown staring at you. When I hear complaints about the pool being "too warm", well that's my complaint for every resort. Anytime we have gone in June, the pools are like bathwater. It's not just stormalong bay. Now last October we went, and it was perfect. Clean, perfect temperature and not crowded AT ALL.

Last July we spent a very hot day in the parks, we went back to AKL and my 12 y/o jumped in the pool and the excalimed "this is not refreshing at all. It's like taking a giant bath!"

-dave

Upvote 0

mickeyt

Am I the only one who finds Stormalong Bay to be overrated?

Nope. You and a handful of others. (Nobody ever goes there anymore. Too crowded!)

That's what makes Disney so fun. So many choices.

Upvote 0

fractal

Luna Park Clown.

IMG_1479.jpg

Zombieland Clown.

Zombieland+Zombie+Clown.jpg

Comparing both of those pictures the Luna Park Clown Pool doesn't look so bad compared to other ones, lol.

those "star" eyes don't help. What is he? drunk?, high? possessed? And his mouth open like that - it's like his tongue should be hanging out.

That slide is the stuff of nightmares!

Upvote 0

Innkeeper's Club

Original Poster
those "star" eyes don't help. What is he? drunk?, high? possessed? And his mouth open like that - it's like his tongue should be hanging out.

That slide is the stuff of nightmares!
Oh come on. I understand that some people don't like Clowns and I am sure what I say can't change their opinions about them. However when I see comments like why his tounge hanging out, it's the slide and there's nothing evil or scary about that.

Upvote 0
Oh come on. I understand that some people don't like Clowns and I am sure what I say can't change their opinions about them. However when I see comments like why his tounge hanging out, it's the slide and there's nothing evil or scary about that.

It's pretty clear you're a big fan of the BWI and it's also pretty clear that you aren't a big fan of SAB and the BC, given you're documented experiences there. That's OK, whatever floats your boat, I always say. Respectfully, you can't expect us BC fans to sit on the sidelines while you start a thread like this, so if we express our opinions of Luna Park or any other thing for that matter, please understand we are only doing what you are asking of the people on these boards to do...to state our opinion. Starting your thread with "Am I the Only One Who Thinks Stormalong Bay Is Overrated?" is sure to bring out the YC/BC fans everywhere (myself included), so be prepared to validate our opinions as we have to do yours.

That being said, my family and I are staying at the BWV at the end of July, and we couldn't be more excited! However, if we get a chance to flip over to BCV, we'll do so in heartbeat, mainly because my in-laws prefer to be closer to IG since they're a bit older (it's also our home resort).

Upvote 0

Spike-in-Berlin

"Am I the only one who finds Stormalong Bay to be overrated?"

Honestly? Yes! At least you are very close to the truth. And not only the guests, from Birnbaum to the Unofficial Guide all guides agree SAB is a pool to die for.
We are there in less than three weeks and Stormalong Bay was a major reason why we chose the Yacht Club again as our deluxe resort for this trip (the other reason was the rooms). Otherwise we would have chosen the Wilderness Lodge again this time, but the pool in the WL is far to small for the size of the resort. Stormalong Bay is not only a pool, it's more like a small waterpark, with a long slide, a small lazy river section, different pools and the sandbottom makes it even better. It's also the only Disney resort pool I experienced so far, where you have a section that is not for non-swimmers because it is too deep, I definitely appreciate that.
The only thing I find quite annoying is that you have to pay to rent a tube!
Originally we planned to stay for the first time at the Contemporary this year as our deluxe-choice but the prices have become insane, even with AP-discount.

Upvote 0

Spike-in-Berlin

I understand the pool needs security, but it was overdone. It felt like we were walking so far anytime we needed to get around the pool area.

The CMs are not only there for security but to avoid pool hopping. If I am getting this right, SAB is the only disney resort pool where a strict "resort-guests-only"-policy is enforced and I definitely appreciate that. I was more than annoyed when I stayed at the Poly and realized that several guests at the Polynesians volcano pool where using the pool although they were not staying at the Poly or were not even RESORT guests at all. We pay a LOT more than other guests to stay at these resorts and I very definitely welcome any means by Disney to stop pool hopping. And if that means that there are only a few entrances to SAB, that's OK:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom