Am I nuts for trying to turn this down?

acishere

So for my Disney trip in June I was assuming that certain family members would be coming along and filling up any room in my cousins offsite timeshare that some people would have to find alternative lodging. Actually it was also me hoping to have to stay elsewhere so I could actually stay onsite and get "the whole Disney experience."

Well turns out that my cousin is expecting me to stay with them in the timeshare and I'm actually disappointed that I'm being offered a place to stay that is already paid for.

So I need to ask: Is staying on site at POP worth the extra $ I'd have to pay over the timeshare 20 minutes from the parks? I feel like I'm going to come off as irrational when I try to back out of free lodging during Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.

m&mmom

I wouldn't say your nuts. I guess it depends on finances. To me, I feel I get the whole Disney experience by staying onsite. If I could only afford to go IF I stayed offsite, well, yes I'd still go. I also feel that sharing a space with my extended family would be a little too close for comfort. But that's me. If you can swing the WDW resort, that'd be my choice. Either way you're going to Disney! yay!

Upvote 0

PamelaNiebergal

I'd probably spring for Disney accommodations too for total immersion in the magic and the added benefits (not having to drive plus evening EMH are both really important to us). I also second the opinion that it might be nice to have a break from your extended family so you can have your own space.

Upvote 0

Jeff456

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to be immersed, and in my opinion if you stay offsite you definately miss out on that. Although I haven't been offered free accomodation offsite before, we have stayed offsite in a villa before and whilst it was lovely and actually very cheap (in the grand scheme of things it's a small fraction of the holiday cost when you factor in UK flights!).
However we definitely felt like we were missing out and disney just didn't feel the same, I would choose a value resort like ASM over any luxury Villa anyday, we don't spend our whole holiday at Disney parks either!
In fact on our last trip we hired a car (the first time we have when actually staying on site) and I was even concerned I would miss out on immersion by not going on the buses, and whilst they are enjoyable when not packed the convinience of the car won me over and now we don't have to face the packed bus ride back from Epcot after illuminations!

We would never stay offsite again, if money was tight we would just save longer and go less frequently, so no you are definitely not mad to consider turning down free accomodation!

Upvote 0

YankeeMouse

Do it! In 100 trips to WDW, we have stayed off-site ONCE and it was very nice and spacious, etc., but had no magic. We did that about 70 trips ago and never again stayed off site. The immersion of the magic at the resorts is one of the special things about a Disney vacation, I think. You are not nuts..well, at least probably not to most people on these forums.

Upvote 0

acishere

Original Poster
Okay somehow in the last few weeks I totally forgot about EMH. Work must have overloaded my brain. That should have been the first reason I gave them when I said why I wanted to stay at POP.

I also am hoping to have somewhere to get away from everyone. I just don't want to outright say that. Especially having to help watch my cousin's kids and chase them through play areas (I'm the youngest adult, therefore I'm supposed have the energy to do it.).

Maybe over dinner tonight I can enlist more family members to make the trip down to Florida and fill up that timeshare...

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
So I need to ask: Is staying on site at POP worth the extra $ I'd have to pay over the timeshare 20 minutes from the parks? I feel like I'm going to come off as irrational when I try to back out of free lodging during Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.

yes it's worth it and it's not irrational to do whatever the heck makes you happy when youre spending YOUR money. ;)
Do what makes you happy and enjoy.

Upvote 0

disneypearl

I have always stayed on property and have never even looked into staying off property. I also have never been offered a free stay off property. That makes the choice a little harder but it is your choice. I love being in the magic 24 hours and never even leaving the property during my stay. To me it is so relaxing and I do not have to see the outside world until my trip is up. A free stay would be nice if family gets along and you enjoy their company while on vacation. Maybe you could save the money you would spend on Pop for another trip that may be sooner than you thought. Pop is a great resort and I really enjoy it when I stay there. Good luck with your decision. Either way you will be at WDW. :)

Upvote 0

harveyt0206

I think you have every right to make whatever decision you want. You are an adult. I firmly believe that vacations are so far and few between that it's not worth it to risk being unhappy. Your vacation time is yours. Give your family a sincere and heartfelt "thank you" for their generosity but let them know that you would like the freedom that staying on property might bring you. Have a great trip. :wave:

Upvote 0

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Especially having to help watch my cousin's kids and chase them through play areas (I'm the youngest adult, therefore I'm supposed have the energy to do it.).

It's not a free offer--your babysitting services would be the cost of your accommodation. ;)

Now, throw that on the scale with the money you'd lay out for POP, and see which one's a better value. :lol:

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

As others have said being in one accomodation with all of those people would be too close for comfort for me. Also what is the driving situation like? I ask because if you want to be at the parks a lot more than the others, but they are the ones with a car, that can become a problem and but quick!!! Staying on property with the whole group or having your own transportation will work best. Also there is always the chance that they will send the kids with you to the parks, which may affect your experience there as well, as kids get tired, hungry, want Mom or Dad etc. I hope you do what makes you happiest!!! Marie

Upvote 0

TakeMeThere81

Wow I don't know. If the timeshare was closer I'd say yes, you may be nuts...but since it is 20 minutes away...yeah, that is a tougher question. I would be considering closer lodging as well. You are not nuts. I wouldn't want to drive 20 minutes every morning and every evening. That will get really, really old.

Upvote 0

kstella

Stay where you want. Too much togetherness can be very wearing, especially if different people have different expectations of how the vacation is going to go. Nothing wrong with having your own space to escape to.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Okay somehow in the last few weeks I totally forgot about EMH. Work must have overloaded my brain. That should have been the first reason I gave them when I said why I wanted to stay at POP.

I also am hoping to have somewhere to get away from everyone. I just don't want to outright say that. Especially having to help watch my cousin's kids and chase them through play areas (I'm the youngest adult, therefore I'm supposed have the energy to do it.).

Maybe over dinner tonight I can enlist more family members to make the trip down to Florida and fill up that timeshare...

Try this (if you dare): You spend a few nights with them, a few nights at a Value, and you list the kids as staying with you during your stay, so they get KttK cards. You're allowed a parking tag for your car, if you're not going to have one, give it to your family. This way, they can park for free (saving some moolah), and their kids can stay with you (SOME of the time) where you can take them on Extra Magic Hour fun time.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom