All WDW Resort Hotels non-smoking effective June 1st!

travelskip

Confirmed on the Cast Member Intranet:

New Smoke-Free Policy

All Walt Disney World® Resorts, including Disney Vacation Club Resorts, will become smoke-free on June 1, 2007. During the past five years Guest demand for smoking rooms has been declining steadily. Currently, less than 3.5 percent of Walt Disney World's 24,000 resort rooms are smoking optional.

The new policy applies to all guest rooms, patios, and balconies, and designates outdoor smoking areas at all resorts affected by the change. Smoking is currently prohibited in all lobbies, restaurants, and convention spaces. This policy will allow us to better accommodate the large numbers of Guests and Members who request non-smoking accommodations and complements our efforts to provide our Guests with the healthy living options they are requesting.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
i can get the same way, especially at work.

you know what else?

i have a very bad allergic reaction to peanuts. i feel WDW should ban peanuts in all public areas and guest rooms and have designated peanut eating areas.

so there :p

Why stop there, designated farting areas, and sweaty pit zones

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
i can get the same way, especially at work.

you know what else?

i have a very bad allergic reaction to peanuts. i feel WDW should ban peanuts in all public areas and guest rooms and have designated peanut eating areas.

so there :p

What makes you think this isn't going to happen in your lifetime? My son attended a private school where all peanut items were banned. But as much as my son loved peanut butter sandwiches, I wasn't willing to have another child have an allergic reaction and risk dying because of it.

Now, had the school demanded that I eliminate all peanut products from my HOME, I would have become angry and left the school. If a public school did this(told me what I could or could not do in my own home), I would have taken it further.

Upvote 0

joshwill

What makes you think this isn't going to happen in your lifetime? My son attended a private school where all peanut items were banned. But as much as my son loved peanut butter sandwiches, I wasn't willing to have another child have an allergic reaction and risk dying because of it.

Now, had the school demanded that I eliminate all peanut products from my HOME, I would have become angry and left the school. If a public school did this(told me what I could or could not do in my own home), I would have taken it further.

it wouldnt surprise me if it happened, the way this country is heading.

Upvote 0

bayoutinkbelle

Wow. Some of the posts here really make me sad, but why should I be surprised?

I don't care if you do smoke. I don't think it's a wise health decision, but that's your body. Feel free to light up at home, in your car and wherever else it's permitted. But don't make it into a personal battle if others choose not to share your smoke.

Upvote 0

Cattman96

I can't focus, I get angry and impatient. It's not pretty, just ask my husband. I can go the most 3/4 hours without one. Then the withdrawl symptoms start to kick in. Jittery etc. Trust me I have tried many times to quit, patch, pills, lozenges, weaning cigarettes. It is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do. I give such credit to people that have been able to quit.

That answers my question better than I have ever had it explained to me. Thank you! :wave:

Upvote 0

8<:-)

I can't focus, I get angry and impatient. It's not pretty, just ask my husband. I can go the most 3/4 hours without one. Then the withdrawl symptoms start to kick in. Jittery etc. Trust me I have tried many times to quit, patch, pills, lozenges, weaning cigarettes. It is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do. I give such credit to people that have been able to quit.

And when you finally do quit, you will always crave them...so you really never get fullly un-addicted.

Upvote 0

travelskip

Original Poster
Anyone wonder what Walt would say about this?

Considering he died of lung cancer shortly after going through the painful process of having one of his lungs removed, he probably would have agreed with this policy.

Keep in mind, the sugeon general's warning didn't happen until 1960. Uncle Walt died in 1966. Even before the SG warning, he never smoked around his kids and ensured he was never shown smoking. There was a reason for that... he didn't like showcasing that part of himself. He was addicted and couldn't quit.

Upvote 0

8<:-)

Considering he died of lung cancer shortly after going through the painful process of having one of his lungs removed, he probably would have agreed with this policy.

Keep in mind, the sugeon general's warning didn't happen until 1960. Uncle Walt died in 1966. Even before the SG warning, he never smoked around his kids and ensured he was never shown smoking. There was a reason for that... he didn't like showcasing that part of himself. He was addicted and couldn't quit.

Any smoker can quit! I did....I still think about having a smoke everyday too and it's been nearly 4 years. The problem is you really don't want to quit...Especially when holier than thou non-smokers and governments push you around.

Upvote 0

travelskip

Original Poster
Any smoker can quit! I did....I still think about having a smoke everyday too and it's been nearly 4 years. The problem is you really don't want to quit...Especially when holier than thou non-smokers and governments push you around.

I'll rephrase, he didn't know for a long time he should quit. I wish he had, the world could have used him a bit longer.

Upvote 0

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Anyone wonder what Walt would say about this?

:confused:
If he were still alive, he'd say one of three things...

#1- Yes.. Lung Cancer nearly killed me back in '66.

#2- No. Damn tree huggers can stop polluting my parks with their free love and long unkempt hair and healthy alternative lifestyles

#3- Someone kill me! I'm 106 years old!

That's what Walt would say.

Upvote 0

Erika

Geezz what parks have you been at, we are going in Oct, my wife is going to be 7 months pregnant and i said "let's get you a wheel chair she dosent want it. If she decides to use it it for her only. Not to cut inline for rides!! Yea ADA fat people have a diease now. What do they call it when you go to an all you can eat buffet?!?! I am 294 lbs and 6 foot 2 i can walk i dont need a wheelchair. Geez what has America come to eveybody needs a disease!!!

There are other causes besides laziness and gluttony for obesity. Not everybody who is overweight qualifies as having a disease, but there are many people out there who legitimately have problems for reasons other than "all you can eat buffets"

Upvote 0

JikoMarie

I find it really funny that this argument is so heated in the year 2007. Looks like in Canada we are miles ahead of you in the US when it comes to smoking laws. You would be hard bent to find a public place in this country where it was legal to smoke.

I have been in line when girls start putting perfume on and guess what...I end up smelling like lilac or something. Should be ban that too? Please....people need to stop whining.

It's only a matter of time before most public places become scent free. The majority of hospitals, churches and universities have scent free policies around here. That being said, it's a lot more difficult to regulate AND scents don't kill nearly as many people as cigarettes do.

Second hand smoke is such bull, unless your in a really redneck dive bar where 90% are smoking, there isn't enough smoke to give a roach cancer.

Unless of course you believe in science.

Prohabition maybe thats next who knows, kids might see alcohol!!!! We have to stop that too.

I has little to do with kids seeing the cigarettes in my opinion. I see nothing wrong with kids being in the presence of alcohol, for instance. It's about the fact that cigarette smoke kills both those smoking and those not smoking. I fail to understand how that even compares to alcohol.

First of all, Jamie may weigh 290, but he is 6' 2", and weight lifts, so no dear, he is NOT FAT. And, if he was, he wouldn't use it as a crutch. And lazy he is not. The man works 50+ hours a week at a very physically and mentally demanding job. He may joke that he is lazy, but trust me he isn't.

Ok. So he's not fat and lazy....just completely rude and insensitive. Got it!

This is Jamie's Wife again:

If all of the people that are fat and in wheelchairs and motorized scooters at Disney are "disabled", then why don't they have their own? Why do they have to rent Disney's, taking one more away from a person who really needs one?

I don't know if you've ever tried to transport a ECV across the ocean or the continent but I wouldn't think it would be as easy as you think.

I'm not some drug addicted junkie, as smokers are often portrayed.

Actually.....if you are addicted to cigarettes, you are a drug addicted junkie. I'm not saying that I can't sympathize with people who have addictions of all sorts but I wouldn't tolerate watching someone shoot heroin in my presnence and that can't even kill me like someonse smoking cigarettes in my presence can. So I'm more concerned about smokers than I am about other junkies./quote]

I have wondered this for sooo long. How did they get to the Resort without one?

The above quote refers to wheelchair and ECV users: It's not that these people can't walk at all - they just can't handle a day of walking in the parks. So they probably got there the same way you or I did.

We are not all the white trash, unsophisticated imbeciles that you seem to think we are.

:confused: I have gone back through this thread reading every single post and I don't see where anyone equated smokers with "white trash, unsophisticated imbeciles."

I am not gonna go thru 8 pages of "lets bash smokers" drivel... sooo... where are we supposed to smoke now? :confused:

In the designated smoking area, clearly. That's probably why they call it a "designated smoking area". :p

Until the sale of cigarettes is illegal, I will always side with the rights of smokers even though I chose to quit. If I can legally buy cigarettes, I should be able to smoke them on property that I own or rent.

First, I think we've already established that smokers have no specific rights other than the general human rights and freedoms and Constitutional rights that we all share.

Second, handguns and bullets are perfectly legal to purchase too. Does that mean that you should be able to shoot them on Disney property too?

Yes they are. Smoker's have the same rights as non-smokers. You are effectively calling all smokers non-Citizens without the same rights that you have. That is a stupid and illogical thing to say. It is a FACT that all US Citizens have the same rights. Smokers still count as citizens. Try paying more attention in school, kids.

I agree with you. But what rights are being violated through smoking bans?

And for everyone complaining about the nasty smokers, smoking wherever they want to, ignoring the signs and designated smoking areas? Do something about it. Don't complain to me. I have never lit a smoke on property outside of a designated area, I won't even WALK with a lit cigarette at DTD because of the amount of kids at cigarette height. (I once walked... well, ran into my mother's lit cigarette when I was little - still have the scar on my nose. She stopped smoking in the house while I was home after that.) If you grabbed a CM and demanded that they confront the errant smoker, I bet they would. PEOPLE are rude, not just smokers.

The fact of the matter is, we shouldn't have to do something about it. The onus isn't on us. We are walking around minding our own business. The onus is on the smokers and Disney.

Again, America is very much behind the times on this one. Peanut bans have been happening in public schools in this country for quite a few years now. Also, many food manufactures have been putting out peanut-free versions of their products and restaurants are beginning to notify customers when peanuts are on the premises. As a person allergic to peanuts, you should really notify Disney of this every time you make a dining reservation.

Upvote 0

Fried Chicken

I find it really funny that this argument is so heated in the year 2007. Looks like in Canada we are miles ahead of you in the US when it comes to smoking laws. You would be hard bent to find a public place in this country where it was legal to smoke.
Agreed. Canada is MILES ahead of the US in terms of smoking bans. No riots have broken out in Canada yet, I'm sure the US can cope as well.

Upvote 0

DVCconvert

JikoMarie said:
...That being said, it's a lot more difficult to regulate AND scents don't kill nearly as many people as cigarettes do.

That's true
-- sometimes the line of hearses leaving WDW with the bodies of guests who might have inhaled 1 part per billion of second hand smoke can really clog up I-4 !!

Upvote 0

palmage

IActually.....if you are addicted to cigarettes, you are a drug addicted junkie. I'm not saying that I can't sympathize with people who have addictions of all sorts but I wouldn't tolerate watching someone shoot heroin in my presnence and that can't even kill me like someonse smoking cigarettes in my presence can. So I'm more concerned about smokers than I am about other junkies./quote]

First, I think we've already established that smokers have no specific rights other than the general human rights and freedoms and Constitutional rights that we all share.

Don't sugar coat it Marie, what do you really think?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom