All WDW Resort Hotels non-smoking effective June 1st!

travelskip

Confirmed on the Cast Member Intranet:

New Smoke-Free Policy

All Walt Disney World® Resorts, including Disney Vacation Club Resorts, will become smoke-free on June 1, 2007. During the past five years Guest demand for smoking rooms has been declining steadily. Currently, less than 3.5 percent of Walt Disney World's 24,000 resort rooms are smoking optional.

The new policy applies to all guest rooms, patios, and balconies, and designates outdoor smoking areas at all resorts affected by the change. Smoking is currently prohibited in all lobbies, restaurants, and convention spaces. This policy will allow us to better accommodate the large numbers of Guests and Members who request non-smoking accommodations and complements our efforts to provide our Guests with the healthy living options they are requesting.

J_Krafty24

I see it this way. For so many years non-smokers were faced with a choice. Either stay at home or go out in public and deal with the smoke clouds. Now that non-smokers are becoming a larger and larger majority and making their voices heard the smokers have a choice. Stay home and smoke or go out in public and deal with the rules that have been set.

On a side note - I have heard many comments on how the smoking policys in the parks are not enforced as much as they should be. Please, when you have been at the parks and 'illegal' smoking is taking place and bothering you:

1.) do not let it ruin your vacation, wave it aside and enjoy yourself - rude people just are not worth it.

2.) When you get home email, write or call Disney and let them know that you are not satisified with the lack of enforcement. This will take 5 - 10 minutes of your time. The best chance we have of getting this changed is to let them know. As an example I refer to back to a thread on here about a couple that was selling flower pot stands at the festivals in Epcot. After reciving many complaints about them being rude to guests, Disney choose to not invite them back.

Upvote 0

jjgoo

Well put Krafty!

This seems to be a hot topic and a lot of people are getting on their soapbox. Well I'm going to drag mine out too. :lol:

I am so glad that Dinsey made this decision and I would be happy if they would ban smoking completely in the parks.

In a lot of states they are banning smoking in bars and restaurants. Here in CT the restaurant and bar owners all compained that their business would dry up with the ban. I have yet to hear about one bar going out of business because people couldn't smoke anymore.

Plain and simple non-smokers are now a majority.

For all the smokers who are now saying "what about me" and "my rights" and "what are they going to ban next"..."
All I have to say is now you know what it is like to be in the shoes of a non-smoker. We've had to suck it up for years in poorly ventilated non-smoking sections, having to close our windows in the room next to you (YES it actually does bother me when it comes wafting into my room from your balcony and I paid for my room with hard earned money too), and other places where we could not get away from the stink and smoke. It's your turn to have to deal.

Embrace the clean air.

Upvote 0

Scooter

First thing I should say is that I am an ex smoker...it's been 10 years since I lit my last Marlboro Light.

I have two concerns about this new non-smoking policy.

1.)Guests from other countries. Some countries havn't jumped on this clean air and health kick bandwagon, so a large percentage of these people smoke 2, 3 , 4 packs a day. These people aren't going to like this policy and either won't come back to WDW ever...or they will smoke whenever that want and wherever they want because they will have the "I paid a lot of money for this vacation and I will be smoking!" attitude.

2.) Disney Vacation Club members...this one bothers me the most. I am NOT a DVC member but it seems to me that I spent $20,000 plus monthly maintenence fees, and signed a contract 3 years ago, with the understanding that I could smoke. (if I were a smoker) If I was a smoker and a DVC member I would be absolutely LIVID about these new smoking rules.

Until the sale of cigarettes is illegal, I will always side with the rights of smokers even though I chose to quit. If I can legally buy cigarettes, I should be able to smoke them on property that I own or rent.
Just my thoughts.

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

No they're not.

Yes they are. Smoker's have the same rights as non-smokers. You are effectively calling all smokers non-Citizens without the same rights that you have. That is a stupid and illogical thing to say. It is a FACT that all US Citizens have the same rights. Smokers still count as citizens. Try paying more attention in school, kids.

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

Until the sale of cigarettes is illegal, I will always side with the rights of smokers even though I chose to quit. If I can legally buy cigarettes, I should be able to smoke them on property that I own or rent.
Just my thoughts.

Thank you.

Disney does not HAVE to allow smoking on property. They choose to so as not to alienate a large portion of their guests. I do know that non-smokers are the majority, but everytime I go to a smoke stop, there are many, many people there.

I also hate the smell of stale smoke, even when I was staying in smoking rooms we usually smoked on the balcony.

And for everyone complaining about the nasty smokers, smoking wherever they want to, ignoring the signs and designated smoking areas? Do something about it. Don't complain to me. I have never lit a smoke on property outside of a designated area, I won't even WALK with a lit cigarette at DTD because of the amount of kids at cigarette height. (I once walked... well, ran into my mother's lit cigarette when I was little - still have the scar on my nose. She stopped smoking in the house while I was home after that.) If you grabbed a CM and demanded that they confront the errant smoker, I bet they would. PEOPLE are rude, not just smokers.

Upvote 0
It might be disney's private property but I Paid my money to join the dvc andIf I smoked I have the right to do whatever I fancy in my room that is deeded to me. Looks like I will buy a pack of cigarettes and purposely smoke in MY room.:fork: :drevil:
and for you Great americans I'll blow a puff your way as I walk by.

Upvote 0

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
i like this even though my wife smokes. i hate the smell of a smoking room. she smokes at home but our house does not smell anything like one of those rooms.

Same here... the musty smoke smell in the rooms IS awful... and the more that I think about this ban... the more that I am ok with it. I always go outside to smoke 99.9% of the time anyway.. when I am at the resort. I mean sure.. there have been times when I lit up in the crapper... but the vent fan was on... and it was a smoking room to begin with. *shrug*

It just sucks that the rude smokers who dont follow the rules.. had to ruin it for the rest of us. Not that I ever smoked outside my room door or anyone elses. I'd just go for a walk around the resort... away from folks. :wave:

Upvote 0

k.hunter30

You are so correct it's ridiculous.:ROFLOL: Disney is simply keeping with the times. Where I live, smoking is banned in all public places, and the winters here can get to -40, and they have to go outside. Quite fun. Cigarettes also cost over 10 bucks for 20, so they are very expensive as well. It's a decision a person makes, the fact that Disney is very accomodating by having designated smoking areas is an added bonus.

I'm trying not to sound harsh because I have friends who smoke as well, but the fact that some are claiming that they have rights to do this on Disney's private property is proposterous. You have the right to smoke on your property but on someone elses property without approval?:lol:
Well put.

Thank you.

Disney does not HAVE to allow smoking on property. They choose to so as not to alienate a large portion of their guests. I do know that non-smokers are the majority, but everytime I go to a smoke stop, there are many, many people there.

I also hate the smell of stale smoke, even when I was staying in smoking rooms we usually smoked on the balcony.

And for everyone complaining about the nasty smokers, smoking wherever they want to, ignoring the signs and designated smoking areas? Do something about it. Don't complain to me. I have never lit a smoke on property outside of a designated area, I won't even WALK with a lit cigarette at DTD because of the amount of kids at cigarette height. (I once walked... well, ran into my mother's lit cigarette when I was little - still have the scar on my nose. She stopped smoking in the house while I was home after that.) If you grabbed a CM and demanded that they confront the errant smoker, I bet they would. PEOPLE are rude, not just smokers.
Who's complaining to you?

It might be disney's private property but I Paid my money to join the dvc andIf I smoked I have the right to do whatever I fancy in my room that is deeded to me. Looks like I will buy a pack of cigarettes and purposely smoke in MY room.:fork: :drevil:
While possibly not the best attitude, this is one of the only examples where I agree that smokers should be able to smoke in WDW. While I'm not a DVC member (timeshares just aren't for us) I can understand how, when buying into something like that, you should have control over what you can do there - e.g. smoke. But in all other circumstances, Disney property = Disney rules.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

The room is deeded to you and many many other people, and apparently the majority of them have decided no smoking, which is why the policy was initiated.

Im guessing you've never lived in an condo/townhouse/enclosed community before. Though you own your property, there are policies put forth that are decided upon by a co-op committee, that all members of the community must adhere to. Little quality of life things, like the number and types of pets you own, the decorations you put outside for the holidays, the installation of an awning, purchase and location of a grill, and the like, all have to adhere to the committee's standards. If not, fines and penalties can occur. Small claims courts are filled with people who decide those policies don't apply to them, but when you agree to live within the community, you signed an agreement to adhere to those policies. Your only recourse is to sell your place and move.

Guess what? Same deal applies to time-share. When you purchased your interest, you signed an agreement to adhere to the policies put forth by the association, and now the policy is No Smoking. Buy a nicotine patch and learn to love it, or sell your points, or be prepared to pay some fines. No big deal.

Upvote 0

k.hunter30

The room is deeded to you and many many other people, and apparently the majority of them have decided no smoking, which is why the policy was initiated.

Im guessing you've never lived in an condo/townhouse/enclosed community before. Though you own your property, there are policies put forth that are decided upon by a co-op committee, that all members of the community must adhere to. Little quality of life things, like the number and types of pets you own, the decorations you put outside for the holidays, the installation of an awning, purchase and location of a grill, and the like, all have to adhere to the committee's standards. If not, fines and penalties can occur. Small claims courts are filled with people who decide those policies don't apply to them, but when you agree to live within the community, you signed an agreement to adhere to those policies. Your only recourse is to sell your place and move.

Guess what? Same deal applies to time-share. When you purchased your interest, you signed an agreement to adhere to the policies put forth by the association, and now the policy is No Smoking. Buy a nicotine patch and learn to love it, or sell your points, or be prepared to pay some fines. No big deal.
Thanks for that great explanation. Being a house-owner (along with our mortgage company ;) ) and not knowledgeable about timeshares, etc., all that is good to know. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Cattman96

I guess I do not understand the mindset of a smoker because I don't understand the addiction. This attitude I have seen on here that "I am going to smoke no matter what!" I paid for it and I am going to smoke in it. Disney be damned. I guess it would be similar to an alcoholic that owns his own car and he is going to drink in it. Just a guess. Is the addiction just so bad that you have to smoke all the time or is it that you just don't want someone telling you can't do it? Just wondering because i am not a smoker.

Upvote 0

Kriszee1

I guess I do not understand the mindset of a smoker because I don't understand the addiction. This attitude I have seen on here that "I am going to smoke no matter what!" I paid for it and I am going to smoke in it. Disney be damned. I guess it would be similar to an alcoholic that owns his own car and he is going to drink in it. Just a guess. Is the addiction just so bad that you have to smoke all the time or is it that you just don't want someone telling you can't do it? Just wondering because i am not a smoker.

I can't focus, I get angry and impatient. It's not pretty, just ask my husband. I can go the most 3/4 hours without one. Then the withdrawl symptoms start to kick in. Jittery etc. Trust me I have tried many times to quit, patch, pills, lozenges, weaning cigarettes. It is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do. I give such credit to people that have been able to quit.

Upvote 0

joshwill

i can get the same way, especially at work.

you know what else?

i have a very bad allergic reaction to peanuts. i feel WDW should ban peanuts in all public areas and guest rooms and have designated peanut eating areas.

so there :p

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom