All WDW Resort Hotels non-smoking effective June 1st!

travelskip

Confirmed on the Cast Member Intranet:

New Smoke-Free Policy

All Walt Disney World® Resorts, including Disney Vacation Club Resorts, will become smoke-free on June 1, 2007. During the past five years Guest demand for smoking rooms has been declining steadily. Currently, less than 3.5 percent of Walt Disney World's 24,000 resort rooms are smoking optional.

The new policy applies to all guest rooms, patios, and balconies, and designates outdoor smoking areas at all resorts affected by the change. Smoking is currently prohibited in all lobbies, restaurants, and convention spaces. This policy will allow us to better accommodate the large numbers of Guests and Members who request non-smoking accommodations and complements our efforts to provide our Guests with the healthy living options they are requesting.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I am not gonna go thru 8 pages of "lets bash smokers" drivel... sooo... where are we supposed to smoke now? :confused:

I'll be damned if I am gonna stand out in the rain, with no cover, next to a dumpster, to have a smoke at the resort I am staying at.

People chose to smoke...

Just like people choose to have pets they must walk outside daily. If the dog can't ________ in your yard, you must walk him where the dog can.

You need to smoke, you like the dog must do your deed where it's allowed.

Smoke outside. No smoking indoors is the law in many places (including outside the US.. and in places with MUCH worse weather then Florida) and they get along just fine.

Trying going outside to smoke when its -10 F outside. It's what you do if you want to smoke.

Upvote 0

rainfully

My first concern is that Disney already had designated smoking rooms, usually in one section of each resort. There were no non-smoking rooms surrounded by smoking rooms. The resorts aren't set up like that.

Next, people are using the term 'smokers rights' and being asked where those rights are in the Constitution. They are there. Because smokers are still American Citizens and human beings, and are therefore covered by the same rights non-smokers are.

As for you non-smokers telling us 'addicts' to quit, that is the least appreciated comment we can hear. I quit smoking for almost two and a half years, and only recently started up again. Smoking is an addiction, a serious one at that, and alot of non-smokers think everyone can quit as easy as they did. That is not the case. Addictions are deep rooted in the brain, and all addictive tendancies, whether they be drugs, alcohol, smokes, or fetishes, are seated in the same section of the brain. Some people are hard wired for addictive tendancies. So please cut that out.

I think that Disney should allow smoking on balconies. If you smell some smoke from the next balcony, just close your doors. If it is a constant bother, like the guests are sitting on their balcony 24/7 blowing smoke in your direction, there's a different story. Most WDW guests are not in their rooms long enough to cause that many problems. Each time we have stayed at WDW as smokers, we haven't had the time to smoke more than a cigarette or two a day on our balcony. Disney could continue to provide ashtrays on the balconies.

But that is a moot point. The fact is they banned smoking in the resorts. As sad as that may seem for some of us, it's a fact and hopefully will be enforced. As for fellow board members calling for park wide bans on smoking, including smoking sections, that might be going too far. We smokers are aware of the health risks we are taking, and most of the smoking areas on WDW property are far enough off the beaten path so as not to bother non-smokers. It would also help if CMs were trained to ask guests smoking in non-designated areas to put out their smoke and proceed to the nearest smoke area. Sadly, the CMs are not told to do that, and are not going to do it until they are provoked.

Finally, I think they should ban perfume in the parks, because as an asthmatic, that bothers me a hundred times more than cigarette smoke. And the trams should be reoutfitted to not spew diesel fumes everywhere, because that actually sends me into an asthma attack, which makes riding the tram a bigger health risk to me than walking.

Finally, Jamie666, sweet avatar. RIP Dimebag.

Most smokers know good and well whether they're in a non-smoking location or not... are there ash trays around? Yes = smoking section No= no smoking here.

I had a guy throw his cigarette at me once when I asked him politely to move to another area to smoke... which was perhaps 50 feet away.

Upvote 0

Fried Chicken

People chose to smoke...

Just like people choose to have pets they must walk outside daily. If the dog can't ________ in your yard, you must walk him where the dog can.

You need to smoke, you like the dog must do your deed where it's allowed.

Smoke outside. No smoking indoors is the law in many places (including outside the US.. and in places with MUCH worse weather then Florida) and they get along just fine.

Trying going outside to smoke when its -10 F outside. It's what you do if you want to smoke.
You are so correct it's ridiculous.:ROFLOL: Disney is simply keeping with the times. Where I live, smoking is banned in all public places, and the winters here can get to -40, and they have to go outside. Quite fun. Cigarettes also cost over 10 bucks for 20, so they are very expensive as well. It's a decision a person makes, the fact that Disney is very accomodating by having designated smoking areas is an added bonus.

I'm trying not to sound harsh because I have friends who smoke as well, but the fact that some are claiming that they have rights to do this on Disney's private property is proposterous. You have the right to smoke on your property but on someone elses property without approval?:lol:

Upvote 0

WDWRLD

Mabee now I can open my door to leave without having to see a pepsi can ash tray (you know what I mean) sitting by the railing. Last year at POR we were in a non smoking building and after a few days of a pepsi can it was replaced with a ash tray which filled up with water and you know what that looked like for the rest of the week.

Upvote 0

justducky78

Why oh why are you people smoking if you have asthma :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Also - you can't compare cut grass and mushrooms to cigarette smoke! Unless of course, people were shoving the mushrooms down your throat.

Is smoking THAT enjoyable that you'd rather argue non-stop for your right to smoke, rather than focusing your energy on quitting? I don't have any friends or family who smoke so I just don't get it, I guess. Quitting may be hard as heck, but isn't that better than the lung cancer you'll probably have to battle down the road?

Upvote 0

Ausdaddy

No it is based off of reduced Insurance premiums, nothing more nothing less!!!!!!!!!

Nah. You're oversimplifying. Certainly, reduced premiums are a bonus, but Disney is telling the truth on this one. Demand for smoking rooms is declining. Industry watchdogs have been tracking it. You're not going to continue to hold non-smoking rooms without the demand.

Upvote 0

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Lord knows most people tend to travel with one ;)

It takes the edge off when I fly long distances :lol:

No the crack pipe is fine, just don't light up a cigarette.:lol:

*whew* That scared me for a minute.

off topic, I bought a car for $500 last year with the sole purpose of detroying it and driving it till it died. Anywho, the car came with several "rebates" including about $14 in loose change, a box of feminine products, and a crack pipe.

Upvote 0

mkt

Premium Member
i still find it hard to believe that all of disney hotels are going smoke free, just seems like discrimination to me, and not everyone is going to abide by the rules.

Smokers aren't a protected class under any US law :)

And Disney is private property, so it's their rules

Upvote 0

mkt

Premium Member
To avoid viloations, they just need to do what they Swan and Dolphin introduced a little while back.

If you smoke in a room, there is a $200 cleanup fee automatically added to your bill. That should disuade people from continuing to smoke in the room.
It's an easily disputed fee. Every time one of my employees (or I) charge someone $200 for smoking in their room, once they dispute it with their credit card or our corporate office, they win.

Their statement, "well, it already smelled like that"

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
It takes the edge off when I fly long distances :lol:

*whew* That scared me for a minute.

off topic, I bought a car for $500 last year with the sole purpose of detroying it and driving it till it died. Anywho, the car came with several "rebates" including about $14 in loose change, a box of feminine products, and a crack pipe.

Would item B work with item C. :lookaroun Or could you fixed a cracked pipe with item B.

However can you ski surf and roller balde in a white cat suit now?

Upvote 0

mkt

Premium Member
The rules are getting ridiculous at WDW. You can't do this, you can't do that, you can't stand there, you can only do this if you have this, show me your room key, then your photo id, then your DVC card, your annual pass, a urine sample, a blood sample!

Heaven forbid that they have rules when it's PRIVATE PROPERTY!

I want it to be 1986!

That was a terrible year.. Chernobyl, Captain Midnight, the death of Olof Palme, and the first PC virus is spread.

The only good thing to occur that year was that the Bears won the superbowl.

Upvote 0

mkt

Premium Member
Disney = private property

It is their choice what they allow on their property, just like it's your choice where you go.

If you want to go to Disney, you have to obey their rules. You choose to go there, not them.

Wanna make a point that Disney will listen to? Get off the internet, shut up, and speak with your wallet.

Upvote 0

Shaman

While I very much applaud any and all efforts to further ban smoking and to keep smoke as far away as possible from my family, I also share the concern that this new policy will result in an increase of smoking violations within the rooms.

At least with the past (current) policy , I felt that smokers would be more likely to stay in smoking rooms and keep their pollution confined therein. With every room now smoke free (including former smoking rooms), this increases the likelihood that a smoking violations will have occurred in the room where my family is staying.

I hope that Disney installs some new smoke detectors in the rooms and strictly polices the new smoking policy.

The more laws you make, the more thieves there will be. :shrug:
I think having rooms designated just for smokers was fair. To make a resort smoke-free, alienates a large chunk of people.

Are you suggesting that Disney make the hotel rooms non-farting, too? :eek: :lookaroun

At this rate...give it a couple of years. :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom