All those UNBUILT Disney-MGM rides....

pppapazo

Originally posted by DarkMeasures
Oh another thing. I don't think a whole area should be built on based on one property. Especially if that property becomes forgotten. Roger Rabbit is nothing compared to what he used to be...

Good point, but who would have ever thought that Song of the South, a movie which hasn't seen wide release in America for decades, would be the basis for one of the best and most popular Disney rides of all time?

Roger Rabbit is a good character with an insteresting story from a visually distinctive film. That's all it really take to make a good attraction.

Peter

Geordi

I think the idea of having the Red Cars rolling through from Sunset Blvd towards RRC is probably the most possible, aren't there already rails in some of the pavement in that direction? Besides, the Hollywood of RR was from the same era that MGM is based in. Adding some of the extra touches to a given section (or sections, like adding a Red Car barn and cafe - Hey, new income potential!) would be fairly easy and cheap, compared with building an entire new section like for the Muppets or Indy. Not every attraction has to be a mega-ride or omnimover, most of the ORIGINAL draw for MGM and Disney in general was the entire EFFECT of stepping into another world.

Personally, I miss that aspect of EPCOT and MK. With Mikey's cost-cutting and relentless movie remarketing, it just seems to be that you travel between one film and the next, with little cohesion between them, and the exact same made-in-china crap in every store. Very bad, from a designer's point of view.

Where did the originality go? What is the draw to walk into Centorium in EPCOT now? No more futuristic SPECIAL STUFF that you could ONLY find in that one store. *sigh*

--Jim <-- Is a Theatre Set Designer, with the goal of creating entire environments to promote vision of a show.

Bill

Account Suspended
There is no escape from reality anymore. It's one of the things that Grizz & I have been mad about for years now. Cranes out in the middle of parks in plain view of guests, even hired contractors working in the daytime in view of guests. This is all to be done at NIGHT, not in view of guests. When I step into, say, the Disney-MGM Studios and I walk down Sunset Blvd, I should be able to imagine that I am back in time in the Hollywood of the 1940s. The parks are all about appearence. NOT reality, but rather, an Escape from reality. Having a giant crane going up in the middle of the day with workers cleaning windows on a building... this shouldn't happen. AND this needs to be fixed. Walt Disney noticed this when a Frontierland Sheriff was walking to his office in Tomorrowland. Walt knew how important theming was, and things that totally dis-illusion the theming shouldn't be here.

Geordi

Hear Hear!

Bill, you (and Grizz I'm guessing) are people after my own heart where WDW is concerned. Hopefully Roy and Stan think the same way. I think they do.

--Jim

jrriddle

Originally posted by Bill
There is no escape from reality anymore. It's one of the things that Grizz & I have been mad about for years now. Cranes out in the middle of parks in plain view of guests, even hired contractors working in the daytime in view of guests. This is all to be done at NIGHT, not in view of guests. When I step into, say, the Disney-MGM Studios and I walk down Sunset Blvd, I should be able to imagine that I am back in time in the Hollywood of the 1940s. The parks are all about appearence. NOT reality, but rather, an Escape from reality. Having a giant crane going up in the middle of the day with workers cleaning windows on a building... this shouldn't happen. AND this needs to be fixed. Walt Disney noticed this when a Frontierland Sheriff was walking to his office in Tomorrowland. Walt knew how important theming was, and things that totally dis-illusion the theming shouldn't be here.

Well, I can see not being able to take cranes down every day, and on some projects you just can't hide them.
With everything else I completely agree.
Which brings us back to...the hat.

Originally posted by Bill

Muppet Expansion is possible, though I haven't heard too much about it yet. If the Muppet Studios were realized, the show building for the Muppet Movie Ride would sit on the space of land now used by the Backlot Theater, and that area of the park would be re-worked. You'd be amazed how easilly the show building for the Muppet Movie Ride could become part of the Chicago or San Francisco Skyline. :)

Why not put a muppet ride entrance in the New York skyline? Hence "Muppets Take Manhatten?" :D

Re: Re: All those UNBUILT Disney-MGM rides....

Originally posted by MGMBoy
It WILL be interesting to see what they do with the park though since everyone else has gotten (or will get) at least one headlining attraction within a year (Philharmagic, M:S and Everest) The Studios could reall use a new draw.

Did you miss the entire demolition of Residential street and the major work going on around New York Street for the Stunt Show going in? :confused:

JMishy

Originally posted by Yenfid
I'm sorry to see the Indy show go, but it has been there alooooooooooooong time. I was hoping for a ride more like the one in DLP. The runaway mine car coaster from Temple of Doom. I think that would be neat!

No, no, pleaaase! I've been on the Indy ride in DLP. The coaster goes backwards and I came off the ride with the WORST headache ever! Because you can't see the twists and turns of the coaster, your head slams on either side of your headrest and it's not very fun! I was actually wishing that the ride would be over faster.

tomm4004

Questions:

1. Has anyone noticed the huge construction project taking place in the parking lot? It's near the walkway to the EPCOT resorts. It appears to be a new bus corral, but it's hard to tell. Could it have something to do with expanding the park?

2. Have you heard the rumour about extending the park across World Drive? Is this possible?

3. I'm curious why they built the park where they did. There's a big tract of land north of EPCOT Drive and east of World Drive - right on the monorail line. It seems like it might have been a good place for the park - and on the monorail.

4. Isn't the layout for Indy and CTX (I refuse to call it Dinosaur) exactly the same? It seems to be.

Tenny317

Originally posted by pppapazo
Good point, but who would have ever thought that Song of the South, a movie which hasn't seen wide release in America for decades, would be the basis for one of the best and most popular Disney rides of all time?

Roger Rabbit is a good character with an insteresting story from a visually distinctive film. That's all it really take to make a good attraction.

Peter

What ride is this referring to? I don't know this.

I think that there should not be two lands-Muppet and Roger Rabbit. That takes up so much space for new things. Maybe if they combine Muppets and Roger Rabbit to one area? It just then seems like it is taking over. Trust me I love the Muppets and am obsessed with Roger Rabbit but I think they should do some more with the old 40's Hollywood feel. I'm not quite sure what that would be, but something really awesome. Also I love ToT so much but I think it needs some more of a ride in it. Like have a ride before the drop. I think it would make it more interesting. We ride around in it a little bit anyway, just make it more interesting! I get kind of bored with the stuff before the drop. I just feel that building is so huge, do something with it! I don't know just my opinion. :)

Bill

Account Suspended
Originally posted by tomm4004
Questions:

1. Has anyone noticed the huge construction project taking place in the parking lot? It's near the walkway to the EPCOT resorts. It appears to be a new bus corral, but it's hard to tell. Could it have something to do with expanding the park?

2. Have you heard the rumour about extending the park across World Drive? Is this possible?

3. I'm curious why they built the park where they did. There's a big tract of land north of EPCOT Drive and east of World Drive - right on the monorail line. It seems like it might have been a good place for the park - and on the monorail.

4. Isn't the layout for Indy and CTX (I refuse to call it Dinosaur) exactly the same? It seems to be.
Expanding the park across World Drive isn't gonna happen anytime soon. It's much more likely that the main entrance to the parking lot is moved, and a parking garage is built. The entire parking lot on the south side of the Studios can be used for expansion for the park, and a garage and monorail station can be built on the remaining land. The WDW master plan is being worked on, for this exact matter, and transportation system expansion. So, that's what's planned... though none has been approved. I hope that clears up some things. :) The more likely expansion plan calls for the moving of the entrance road, and, well, I better show you on a map...

Bill

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Tenny317
What ride is this referring to? I don't know this.

I think that there should not be two lands-Muppet and Roger Rabbit. That takes up so much space for new things. Maybe if they combine Muppets and Roger Rabbit to one area? It just then seems like it is taking over. Trust me I love the Muppets and am obsessed with Roger Rabbit but I think they should do some more with the old 40's Hollywood feel. I'm not quite sure what that would be, but something really awesome. Also I love ToT so much but I think it needs some more of a ride in it. Like have a ride before the drop. I think it would make it more interesting. We ride around in it a little bit anyway, just make it more interesting! I get kind of bored with the stuff before the drop. I just feel that building is so huge, do something with it! I don't know just my opinion. :)

Muppets and Roger are currently in limbo so to speak. Everyone loves the idea of Muppet Studios (Including me) but we have to accept that WDI has no current plans for the Muppets, and the plans for Roger are, well, tricky for approval process reasons. The Disney-MGM Studios isn't supposed to have a 40's Hollywood feel everywhere. And where these attractions would go... there's no chance for a 40's theme. This is the backlot we're talking about. But anyway, there's no reason to talk about what is planned on either of these topics. There's simply not enough information yet. Heck, I don't even know what the Roger Project includes. My friend said it's more then likely a dark ride, but very different from the version in DL due to safety reasons. But, I mean, he also said that no one really knows for sure... it's not a priority right now. The current priorities are:

-Everest
-Stitch
-Gemini
-Motors Stunt Show
-Indy Ride

:)

Bill

Account Suspended
Okay, here's the map... be warned, it's big. 323 KB

also, some notes on the map, this is just something I made up. There's nothing that would confirm WDI had any plans as big as this. This is something that could happen maybe in 30 years or something. It's only intended purpose is to show you where expansion would take place if expansion of the park is needed.

There would be moving sidewalks in areas as well, as some of the blue walkways I made are covered with moving sidewalks and there are also moving sidewalks for the entire length of the parking garage.

The plans I have made here could double the size of the park... notice that lakes would also need to be a part of the expanded land as well for drainage issues. Okay, with that said, here's the map:

http://www.magicalears.com/WDWmagic/Studios_Expansion_Plan.jpg

Jusjuice

The area between Rock'n Roller Coaster and the Animation building would be cool for a Roger Rabbit's Hollywood area. On the Sunset Blvd. side, it could be Maroon Cartoon Studios. It would be the perfect link between the Animation Courtyard and Sunset. Now that the Animation Building is obsolete, is there any chance something could be put there?

Also, it appears that if the Theater of the Stars (Beauty and the Beast Show) was moved or bulldozed, it would open up a decent chunk of land on Sunset Boulevard. It would be great to see some kind of a dark ride there. I always thought the whole theme had so much potential, but half the land was taken up by outdoor theaters. Too bad the Di ck Tracy plans were canned so many years ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom