All those UNBUILT Disney-MGM rides....

pppapazo

Originally posted by ImagineerFan04
So we still might see beastley kingdom

Yea:sohappy: :sohappy:

I'm not saying we won't (of course, it's definitely not coming in the near future), but I've got a feeling that Everest makes Dragon Tower slightly obsolete. The attractions would probably be too similar to have in one park.

Peter

imagineersrock

going back to the topic of future expansion...

i like the idea of using the parking structures instead of parking lots, and then just kind of thought to myself:

"ummm helllooo..?"

-why hasn't wdw been using this at all?? ..i mean, why DO the parks have parking LOTS rather than GARAGES..?

i just don't get it, and i have to actually give universal credit on this one: when i first went after the massive citywalk/ioa/parking stucture expansion.. i thought 'wow.' the parking makes so much more sense, and i can't help but wonder why we havent seen this at wdw.

think about it.. easier, faster, and [car doesnt sit out in the sun all day] overall better for us...

-then.. this eliminates need for cm's that drive and work on the trams now used to transport guests, as well as cost of maintaining these trams.. overall saves them $$$ in the long run.. and you know thats music to the execs' ears..

its a win-win situation correct?

just my 2 cents.

tomm4004

-why hasn't wdw been using this at all?? ..i mean, why DO the parks have parking LOTS rather than GARAGES..?
I would imagine that parking garages are expensive to build and maintain. Disney has 27,000 acres so they don't need them. Plus, garages are dingy and smack of urban centres. Maybe Disney want people to step out of their cars into sunshine and feel like they are on vacation.

The reason they are built at Universal and now at DL is a lack of space.

The parking garage at Universal - California intrudes boldly on the Jurassic Park ride and ruins the atmosphere.

I can't imagine them building one at D-MGM when they've got room all over the place.

imagineersrock

Originally posted by tomm4004
I would imagine that parking garages are expensive to build and maintain. Disney has 27,000 acres so they don't need them. Plus, garages are dingy and smack of urban centres. Maybe Disney want people to step out of their cars into sunshine and feel like they are on vacation.

The reason they are built at Universal and now at DL is a lack of space.

The parking garage at Universal - California intrudes boldly on the Jurassic Park ride and ruins the atmosphere.

I can't imagine them building one at D-MGM when they've got room all over the place.

good points.. but if they would ever build a garage anywhere on property for guest use though.. mgm would probably be the place, because they could just use it as part of the theme/story.. as if you're coming to the studios for a day.. [there would most likely be a parking structure at a working movie studios site] ..i could see it working, it's hard to put into words what i mean.. but perhaps you see where i'm going with this..

you know, it's just when i think of a working movie studio, i think of the large, industrial, hustle-bustle type atmosphere.. not a 'wide open spaces, where i stop to soak up the sunshine' type atomosphere.. now THAT is what i expect from AK.

jrriddle

Why not take out all the parking lots, build a "Disney's Parking Kingdom" and have trams and monorails taking people to the parks.

I'm kidding.
:)

Bill

Account Suspended
Hmmm... I actually like that idea. Seriously, just build like 5 Parking garages and have busses and monorails take you everywhere... hmm...

NAH.:hammer:

sounds interesting. i cant wait to see all these changes going on. I now get it all. i was wondering why there would be 2 stunt shows but if the are going to close the indy stunt show after the motor stunt show is opened and then start on an indy ride it would be great. i dont kno much about the crystal skull ride but i want to find out more about it.

Parking garges are a good idea but i would hate tosee them. I dont like them at universal but they had to have them. At universal its not to bad to have them becaus they have city walk to seperat the parks but i dont think we need to see garages for just one park

tomm4004

I'm not sure a parking garage would give people the idea of being at a real studio since most people probably have not been to one. It would just make them think of the parking garage back home - unless it was themed! Any famous Disney movies feature a parking garage. Besides, in movies don't people always get killed in parking garages?

It's true though that D-MGM does appear to be the most tight for space but as Bill's map illustrates there is a big swathe behind Star Tours. It just appears to be crammed into a corner.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Good idea Bill, you never know. They did it California, so Disney are not adverse to parking garages...

Just going back to the previous page of this thread....

Mt Fuji was all set to go as a Japan expansion (the Bladerunner style neon modern Japan) but Disney had second thoughts - Kodak were a major sponsor (JII, Magic Journeys etc.) and had sole rights to selling film in the parks. Fuji film were prepared to pay the WHOLE cost of the Mt. Fuji Rollercoaster (sponsored by Fujifilm, naturally) but Disney didn`t (obviously) want to loose Kodak.

Buffalo Junction - that was it!

Theres a new thread up about the Mediterranian Resort - I`ve put the plan in my photo album.

AK was to get the Duel Dragon rollercoaster - they had an Imagineer design it, and it was ready to go. Then Beastly Kingdom got red lighted, and said Imagineer was laid off. Guess who went to work at IOA planning for Universal and took his ideas with him! Sorry to drift off topic there..

tomm4004

Fuji film were prepared to pay the WHOLE cost of the Mt. Fuji Rollercoaster (sponsored by Fujifilm, naturally) but Disney didn`t (obviously) want to loose Kodak.
Good move by Disney not to lose Kodak. Someone had to pay for the two amazing, incredible, and stupendous Journey into Imagination redos. That's much better than a silly roller-coaster through Mt. Fuji. It can't beat an upside down room or a totally dark room with the sound of a passing train!

imagineersrock

Originally posted by tomm4004
Good move by Disney not to lose Kodak. Someone had to pay for the two amazing, incredible, and stupendous Journey into Imagination redos. That's much better than a silly roller-coaster through Mt. Fuji. It can't beat an upside down room or a totally dark room with the sound of a passing train!

oh soooo true!! :lol:

jrriddle

Originally posted by Bill
Hmmm... I actually like that idea. Seriously, just build like 5 Parking garages and have busses and monorails take you everywhere... hmm...

NAH.:hammer:

The idea was a real one for about a second then I thought about how long it would take to get on a monorail or bus. The number of people waiting...it would take forever .
A logistical nightmare.

pppapazo

Originally posted by marni1971

AK was to get the Duel Dragon rollercoaster - they had an Imagineer design it, and it was ready to go. Then Beastly Kingdom got red lighted, and said Imagineer was laid off. Guess who went to work at IOA planning for Universal and took his ideas with him! Sorry to drift off topic there..

I don't buy this.

First of all, the proposed Dragon Tower and the actual Dueling Dragons attractions are very different. All announced plans for Dragon Tower involved a single roller coaster track going through the decrepit castle and eventually encountering a massive Dragon Audio-Animatronic. Dueling Dragons is, well, dueling roller coasters where you ride on the dragon. There are no AA dragons, and the castle is the queue.

Secondly, any plans developed by an Imagineer belong not to him but to the Walt Disney Company. He can't take his plans with him.

Now, is it possible that the Imagineer who designed Dragon Tower went to Universal and designed a completely different dragon-themed ride? Yes. But to say that Dueling Dragons was, in any substantive form, what we were going to get in Animal Kingdom is almost certainly untrue.

Peter

Gracy_hm

Ok

The Indy Attraction of the Resin Skull (I know Crystal that was just a poor attempt at humor) or Mara either way they both have there ups and downs. I really like the Smoke ring/fire ball effect from Crystal Skull and I think the Vortexes are great but the fire effects in Mara are really nice also. I will say the heat of the fire gets you that much closer to the action but I believe you can feel the foce from the ring of smoke so once again either way. And of coarse the once compleatly unneccisary thing they should put in MgMs but actually building it like it was supposed to the "Ice Machine"

Take care,
Kyle

P.S I always thought ice could have used effectively in the glass shattering scene in Alien Encounter to simulate...well it should be obvious glass.

Peace:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom