All those UNBUILT Disney-MGM rides....

jrriddle

I agree, the parking lots could/should be moved.
There is a thread about this somewhere.
Someone even provided a map where they laid out an idea to expand the park across the road.
As for DSP, I think they should concentrate on bringing DLP back to it's former glory (I said it once, I'll say it again...That is one of the most beautiful parks I've ever seen). Then concentrate on the Studios.

bork

If Roger Rabbit is coming to the Studios, what would go into the rumored Toontown expansion at MK? Bounce house and Chip & Dale Tree House?

I'd rather have MK get the whole Disneyland Toontown, but as long as WDW gets Cartoon Spin, I'll be happy.

Disneynutcase

No you won't. You'll be standing in line (and its usually a long line) and the freakin' ride will break down. Or you'll trek through the park to Toontown and find the doors shut and a CM making apologies--both scenarios happen every day at DL.

And Fast Passes are moot for this one. The machines are barely on anymore because of RR Cartoon Spin going down multiple times per day.

And I'm not kidding about this. Ask any DL CM and they'll tell you that the new safety system is a nightmare.

One of my favorite rides that we don't even attempt to go on anymore because it ends up wasting too much time.

And all because some stupid parents let their child stand on the seat while he was riding, resulting in tragedy. Too bad the legal system and insurance companies can't chalk up idiotic behavior like this incident as social darwinism.

dox

I hope Lee and Bill are right. I really believe adding the Indy Ride to the park will really be a great boost. Given that the motor stunt show is similar to indy in terms of doing the stunt and then explaining it. It would be incredibly lame to have two almost identical shows in terms of presentation styles. Plus a new dark ride is always welcome.

As for Roger Rabbit - i would love to see that coaster (see Lee's pics) but based on what i've read with respect to the rights on roger rabbit none of that is ever going to happen.

Lee or Bill - have you heard any further info. on the muppet ride coming to the park, or are the imagineers still just dusting off old plans?

MGMBoy

Originally posted by PeterAlt
If you look at a map of the park, you will see there is a walkway that deadends. Between the walkway is the exit for the stunt show and the entrance to the Indiana Jones gift shop. The walkway deadends at a peice of land that has nothing built on it currently. So, that would be perfect for an Inidiana Jones ride entrance and/or exit, thus creating an Indiana Jones mini-land, without replacing the Indiana Jones stunt show. The auto stunt show they are building now I think would be an entirely different type of show, thus the Studios' can have the two shows, as it will suppliment the other, not replace it.

Sorry guys but the deadend path just wouldn't work. All that is directly behind that area gate is a cast access road then the parking lot tram turn-around. The only place they could possibly put a building would be actually IN the cast parking lot and then guests would have a 3-5 minute walk for a single attraction. Wouldn't happen. It WILL be interesting to see what they do with the park though since everyone else has gotten (or will get) at least one headlining attraction within a year (Philharmagic, M:S and Everest) The Studios could reall use a new draw.

Not For Sale

Say Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

Whats the whole Roger Rabbit thing? Am I missing something? Does anyone have pics of the cartoon spin thingy?

Lee- Is the coaster in the pic a racing coaster? It sure looks like it.

Abercrombie Kid

I think it iz possible 4 MGM 2 get a version of Indiana Jones. The most possible scenerio is they move the parkin lot used 2 a new parkin garge (like @ DL,) this would allow MGM 2 no longer be landlocked (F! is an example of them using a parking lot for an attraction.) Guests are willing 2 walk 4 an attraction, look at one of the most popular shows at MGM, F! guests are willing to walk that long. Imgineers could just put the entrance to the ride where the current stunt show entrance is and build up 2 the ride (like TOT), imgine walking through a lush jungle and then turning a corner and coming up on the huge temple. The show building for the previous rides r already 2 levels so its already proven that the ride system stand it. i think it would add 2 the ride if u kept going up and down passagways and other areas. As for the name of the ride i think that think that Indian Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Skull would be a kool name. I think that the the story could be that those who look onto the eyes of the forbidden skull seek eternal doom in the temple b/c the skull has been cursed by all the great gods of earth, wind, water, and fire. So the in the temple ur transport goes through water where it gets rough and water and wind and lightnigh are everywhere. Phycological effects will also be used w/ bugs crawling up your back and other things.

MGMBoy

Originally posted by Abercrombie Kid
Guests are willing 2 walk 4 an attraction, look at one of the most popular shows at MGM, F! guests are willing to walk that long. Imgineers could just put the entrance to the ride where the current stunt show entrance is and build up 2 the ride (like TOT), imgine walking through a lush jungle and then turning a corner and coming up on the huge temple.

Walking distance is not the biggest problem...The access road you'd be cutting off is the one that supplies the Guest Service offices, Sid's, and, most importantly, First Aid. If an ambulance were needed on property it would use that road to get to the First Aid office. Plus...The temple @ DL is already known as the Tample of Forbidden Eye...Wouldn't calling ours "Forbidden Skull make it sound like a cheap knock-off?

pppapazo

Originally posted by MGMBoy
Walking distance is not the biggest problem...The access road you'd be cutting off is the one that supplies the Guest Service offices, Sid's, and, most importantly, First Aid. If an ambulance were needed on property it would use that road to get to the First Aid office.

Would it be possible to Board Indy on the inside of the park and then have the ride go underground and across the road to the amin show building, a la PotC in Disneyland?

Peter

MGMBoy

Good question bt that would take a LOT of work, time, and money. Plus the parade buildings, costuming and just about everything is right back in that area too. They've kind of painted the park into a corner in that respect.

DarkMeasures

To me it seems that all the Imagineers cared about for Disney MGM Studios was to get it built before Universal gets their's built.

Disney seemed to put the park in the worst place.... And the park has already doubled in size buit it is still the smallest park at Disney.

If I had a say, I would think building a Parking Garage across the street or something would be a good idea. But Peoplemovers, trams, and moving sidewalks should be built for the guests to get to the park faster.

Or, Disney could just move their entrance roads further away from the park so that they can expand.

DW88

These plans sound wonderful, but I really doubt ALL these will actually be built. I'm for The Muppets Ride and the Indy ride, but the Roger Rabbit mini-land isn't necessary, and if they do build it, I would rather it be at MK.

It sound like we have many sources here at WDWMAGIC. Keep all of us up to date. I don't want to miss anything important.:D

All4Gemini

I'm not sure why either, but I think it would be a great area to take advantage of, however they might do that. Ride, new "land", parking space if they pushed the Indy ride into the current lot, etc...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Why not put the access road in an underpass and have the Temple Queue pass over it - they did that plenty of times with the MK railroad, and didn`t they drop Disneyland Drive at DLC to build the downtown walkway??

As for the wooded area South of the park - why not re angle the southern parking entrance/toll plaza to run flat instead of cutting into the New York st. / Star Tours corner? Thats IMHO a relativley cheap way to gain land behind Backlot Express??

Whatever happens, MGM does need more space - yes, Disney did infact admit to building the park small to start with to beat Universal to opening day.

bjlc57

I'm sorrry but...

Until I see an actual announcement, I don't believe any thing from the current administration. There has been very little growth over the last 5 years and by now they could or should have finished Animal kingdom, and really added to MGM. Instead they are dragging their feet, and cutting back. If they keep cutting back and not going forward, things will get worse instead of better.

So I am sorry if I read this post with extreme skeptisism ..

Bill

Account Suspended
Yeah, the new billion dollar a year budget for new rides at theme parks is really hurting... :lol: :hammer:

Seriously, it is expensive, but we're looking at big fixes here. Jay wants these parks to be amazing, so look at the projects that have been approved since Jay's been in power. We're getting quite a lot. :) And he doesn't seem to be planning to stop any time soon.

Indy is possible in that area of the park. Backstage areas NEVER play a role in new attraction construction. There is always a way, and here, all they have to do is re-locate a road a few hundred feet. Big deal. Remember, look at the land that the Stunt Show takes up. ;) It's huge. Espically if Echo Lake is altered on that edge...

DarkMeasures

Oh another thing. I don't think a whole area should be built on based on one property. Especially if that property becomes forgotten. Roger Rabbit is nothing compared to what he used to be...

Also, can someone tell me what the original areas were and how they grew.

Bill

Account Suspended
Well, Sunset Blvd was the amazing area. Roger Rabbit's Hollywood would be built where the Rock n' RollerCoaster is right now. There would have been real red cars going up and down the street. Lots of amazing plans down the drain. I think Jim Hill did an article on this as well. :)

Can't wait to see those future MGM additions.

And if they do build the Roger Rabbit stuff, they'll have to bring the Roger Rabbit costumed character back to the parks as well...and I think that it'll become more likely to happen now with Eisner finally on his way out.:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom