All things Universal Studios Hollywood

Homemade Imagineering

The Mummy Hollywood version used to be better. They had a cool ending the moon and sun and real fire a long time ago and it made sense. Now it is just a sudden stop.
Even then I’ve always felt it’s simply wayyy too short. The facility was designed for a slow moving darkride + elaborate queue, not a fast paced coaster thru a dark warehouse. I do enjoy those darkride segments though

Phroobar

Even then I’ve always felt it’s simply wayyy too short. The facility was designed for a slow moving darkride + elaborate queue, not a fast paced coaster thru a dark warehouse. I do enjoy those darkride segments though
I don't think it and the Simpsons are long for this world. A classic monsters dark ride or smaller version of the Epic Universe one would be really cool.

AlexMBush

JJK and One Piece announced for Fan Nights.

1728066916576.png

USH making money with two major pop culture events in their pocket now like:
giphy.gif

PiratesMansion

I didn't appreciate how bad Mummy in Hollywood was compared to Orlando until I saw it in person.

No wonder everyone misses ET.
I'm totally in the minority because I've done the USH Mummy much more and thus prefer it, but I think Hollywood's has a story that makes more sense (no credulity-straining "it's a film set oh wait no it's not!!!" confusion) and it has an actual backwards section instead of a drop-into-a-turntable. I also find the dark ride portion to be better and more dimensional (WAY less circa-04 CGI talking Mummy heads).

Additionally, while USF's is in a much larger building, their ride doesn't *feel* appreciably longer at all to me.

The ending of USH's isn't great, but Brendan Frasier yelling for a cup of coffee isn't wonderful either.

I think between the two Mummy's there'd be one fantastic coaster if they took the strengths of both of them into one mega ride; as is, I find both of them somewhat compromised, but YMMV.

Phroobar

I'm totally in the minority because I've done the USH Mummy much more and thus prefer it, but I think Hollywood's has a story that makes more sense (no credulity-straining "it's a film set oh wait no it's not!!!" confusion) and it has an actual backwards section instead of a drop-into-a-turntable. I also find the dark ride portion to be better and more dimensional (WAY less circa-04 CGI talking Mummy heads).

Additionally, while USF's is in a much larger building, their ride doesn't *feel* appreciably longer at all to me.

The ending of USH's isn't great, but Brendan Frasier yelling for a cup of coffee isn't wonderful either.

I think between the two Mummy's there'd be one fantastic coaster if they took the strengths of both of them into one mega ride; as is, I find both of them somewhat compromised, but YMMV.
I just watched both. I think Hollywood one is better because of the crypt room with the arms coming out of the ceiling and the treasure room is better. The Florida mummy AA looks jinky and the CG is really bad. Hollywood really doesn't use CG except for the treasure room head which looks better. Both coaster portions are really short. It has to be less than 30 seconds. Hollywood's ending used to have a fire ceiling effect and more fog. It looked like Florida's fire effect. The Hollywood queue looks like an Egyptian crypt while Florida's is a museum being used for filming. I prefer the crypt.

I think Hollywood is more concise and doesn't keep flipping between set and crypt.

Phroobar

Singapore's version of the ride is not the same as the USA, but didn't feel like a lesser experience to me.

Plus the whole Egypt area and theming is great.
Yeah, Singapore's seems like the Florida version but in it's perfect form. It was a good idea to ditch the filming idea.

Professortango1

The USO is far...far better than the USH version. Do I think the USH version is bad? Not at all. I loved it for a long time and I think some details, as pointed out above, are better than the Orlando version. The skeleton hands and such work really well. However, the coaster portion, once the ride really gets going...the Orlando version is incredible. My favorite indoor coaster ever. USH does what it can, but it just doesn't have the same space to do all of the fun of the Orlando version.

D.Silentu

Universal Hollywood blows the finale and that is a hard flaw to shake. It's time they either give it a refresh, as its Jurassic neighbor received, or use the space for a new attraction. The current track layout could be preserved, but please no more careening through the dark! I'd appreciate some visual interest and they certainly can do better than still blacklit skeletons.

PiratesMansion

Universal Hollywood blows the finale and that is a hard flaw to shake. It's time they either give it a refresh, as its Jurassic neighbor received, or use the space for a new attraction. The current track layout could be preserved, but please no more careening through the dark! I'd appreciate some visual interest and they certainly can do better than still blacklit skeletons.
But is Brendan Frasier screaming for a cup of coffee (albeit in an over-the-top-unintentionally-hilarious way) that much better?

Really the only better scenery Orlando has once you reach the coaster portion is the actual fire they have that Hollywood does not (I suppose the fake exit could also count for something, but it honestly sounds a lot more impressive than I think it actually is on ride, especially now that it's twenty years after the fact).

D.Silentu

I suppose both rides blew the finale. I can't speak for Florida's ride, but every 'Forbidden Journey' and 'Mario Kart' Hollywood opens further eclipse the 'Mummy'; we're in an era where Universal builds better attractions than it and one way or another that's what I'd like to see in that space.

Professortango1

But is Brendan Frasier screaming for a cup of coffee (albeit in an over-the-top-unintentionally-hilarious way) that much better?

Really the only better scenery Orlando has once you reach the coaster portion is the actual fire they have that Hollywood does not (I suppose the fake exit could also count for something, but it honestly sounds a lot more impressive than I think it actually is on ride, especially now that it's twenty years after the fact).
The coffee gag is the return to the station joke, not the finale. The finale is the extra coaster after the fakeout ending. I love that Orlando version so much. It isn't perfect, but it is still my favourite indoor coaster of all time.

AlexMBush

I think had the original ending of been maintained--and had exterior design of the attraction been more expanded (thank you GE budgeting) to allow a more "Temple" like design to be done to the soundstage on that facing side--then I think Hollywood would genuinely be the better Mummy.

The whip that comes with the backwards section, alongside the pacing of the coaster is more thematically consistent of what I expect of the Mummy franchise; especially when factoring that they made the best of what they could with the space that was given to it. Singapore is the "Definitive" version, but Hollywood has traits that makes it stand out as the better Coaster compared to Orlando's.

Professortango1

I think had the original ending of been maintained--and had exterior design of the attraction been more expanded (thank you GE budgeting) to allow a more "Temple" like design to be done to the soundstage on that facing side--then I think Hollywood would genuinely be the better Mummy.

The whip that comes with the backwards section, alongside the pacing of the coaster is more thematically consistent of what I expect of the Mummy franchise; especially when factoring that they made the best of what they could with the space that was given to it. Singapore is the "Definitive" version, but Hollywood has traits that makes it stand out as the better Coaster compared to Orlando's.
I've honestly never heard anyone say that the Hollywood version is the better coaster. Florida's coaster allows for far greater changes in elevation and turns. The launch into the mouth and the drop into hell are both incredible moments which are missing from the Hollywood version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom