All things Knotts Berry Farm

Professortango1

The thing about the P&tF retheme, though: This is a strange, unique case where the general flow of PatF fits the existing ride so perfectly that there’s actually no need to rip everything out. Everybody who’s seen PatF and is familiar with Splash Mtn. can instantly mentally overlay the newer film onto the existing ride. Five years from now, they can remove whatever subtitle they’re going to initially saddle the rethemed ride with, go back to just calling it Splash Mountain, and it will go on to make millions of people happy with its PatF theme for 30 years.

It’s hard to imagine them messing this up; all they have to do is the obvious... Okay, now I’m a bit concerned.

I disagree. The only scene which fits for me is the bayou and the finale. The build up at the start, the Laughing Place, the lift/drop, and the final scene don't fit at all IMO. The burrow-like nature of these scenes as well a good portion of the queue don't fit PatF. The Mountain itself and the barn do not either. None of it fits with New Orleans bayou.

I honestly don't see this being a clean fit or an improvement. I'm anticipating a Mission Breakout style change with redressing existing scenes and cost efficient changes while the story is structured around the existing ride system in ham fisted attempts to make it work.

Like Mission BO, it will be popular. But also like Mission BO, it will not be as good as either the attraction it replaced nor as a new attraction would have been based on the IP.

Rich T

I disagree. The only scene which fits for me is the bayou and the finale. The build up at the start, the Laughing Place, the lift/drop, and the final scene don't fit at all IMO. The burrow-like nature of these scenes as well a good portion of the queue don't fit PatF. The Mountain itself and the barn do not either. None of it fits with New Orleans bayou.

I honestly don't see this being a clean fit or an improvement. I'm anticipating a Mission Breakout style change with redressing existing scenes and cost efficient changes while the story is structured around the existing ride system in ham fisted attempts to make it work.

Like Mission BO, it will be popular. But also like Mission BO, it will not be as good as either the attraction it replaced nor as a new attraction would have been based on the IP.
The general idea I and others have goes more or less like this:

Preshow: Dr. Facilier returns and turns Prince Naveen into a frog again.

Outer section: Instrumental of When I’m Human, Down in New Orleans, or Gonna Take You There—Any of those would be great.

Swamp/Bayou: Gonna Take You There (gradually getting ominous)

Top of Beehive Drop: Facilier attacks

Laughing Place: Friends on the Other Side

Pre-lift and lift: Rescue Naveen, Flee, only way out is to jump off cliff

Finale: Dig a Little Deeper

Last scene: Either Faciler’s comeuppance or a goodbye from Tiana, Naveen and Louis. Or both.

If they do something close to this, it’ll work out fine.

Homemade Imagineering

Outer section: Instrumental of When I’m Human, Down in New Orleans, or Gonna Take You There—Any of those would be great.

Last scene: Either Faciler’s comeuppance or a goodbye from Tiana, Naveen and Louis. Or both.

I believe Disney said that they were working on new recordings of the original soundtrack, so what I am hoping for is using the jazz style of music that Disneyland’s SM already has, in other words, using the same instruments used in the attraction already, but changing the melodies. I’m not sure how the music style of WDW’s Splash Mountain will fit PatF, so they might have to use the same music recordings as Disneyland.

Sharon&Susan

It's so stupid that took out a major portion of the ride show building to turn it into a queue that no one uses, instead of taking out a small portion of that massive arcade filled with the same games you see at your local Dave and Busters.

Professortango1

What preshow? There's no preshow area in Splash. What cliff? There's no cliffs in the bayou and we're jumping from Mama Odie's tree. Unless Mama Odie is suddenly evil, not sure why we're leaping or being thrown from her place.

The Laughing place has low ceilings which look like root covered burrows, not sure why Faciler is in an underground lair.

Also seems very odd to set the ride after the film yet to include the same dead villain, same songs, and plot of someone turning into frog.

Or they can go Frozen Ever After route and have the entire ride be journeying to Mama Odie's for Mardis Gras and a random drop. That's what they did in Epcot. The ride is pretty, but it has no conflict or story beats and is kind of bland.

Rich T

What preshow? There's no preshow area in Splash. What cliff? There's no cliffs in the bayou and we're jumping from Mama Odie's tree. Unless Mama Odie is suddenly evil, not sure why we're leaping or being thrown from her place.

The Laughing place has low ceilings which look like root covered burrows, not sure why Faciler is in an underground lair.

Also seems very odd to set the ride after the film yet to include the same dead villain, same songs, and plot of someone turning into frog.

Or they can go Frozen Ever After route and have the entire ride be journeying to Mama Odie's for Mardis Gras and a random drop. That's what they did in Epcot. The ride is pretty, but it has no conflict or story beats and is kind of bland.
There are no logs, flumes, singing geese, giant waterfalls, real Laughing Place, railroad handcarts, rabbit family, vultures, hound dogs, swamps or barns in Song of the South.

It still works (terribly paced storytelling aside).

Frog Mountain can also work. NO ONE will care about story liberties if it works. It’s a flume ride, not a Pulitzer-nominated novel.

Definitely hoping they do NOT go the villain-less Frozen Ever After route on this. I don’t think they will.
(Edit)
How’d did all this end up in the Knott’s thread? (Checks) ...Ohhh...This is my fault. Sorry...

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

That's sad but totally understand. I never really liked the Dark Harbor. It felt like a lot of walking with very few monsters. I wonder if the Griffith Park Haunted Hayride will disappear. At least Universal is actively building their mazes. I wish Warner Brothers would bring back their Halloween offerings.

Last year I did Scary Farm (2nd time), Dark Harbor, and HHN (both first time) over a weekend. Dark Harbor couldn't begin to compare to the other two. I guess in a way I was left wondering how so much hype had built up around such a mediocre event.

It's not really their fault, and I had read about it beforehand and was prepared, but their infrastructure is terrible. All chintzy carnival booths and portapotties on a parking lot-which might be more forgivable if I felt like their haunts were stellar.

Things they COULD control include their line management-they don't need three per maze (standby and two upcharge options that were vaguely differentiated from each other). If there two levels of upcharge access, and there's maybe a $20 difference between the two, who is the lower upcharge tier for? Who benefits from "kinda sorta" quick access?

Additionally, I paid to park in one of their offsite lots, but the map on their own site didn't actually line up with the parking lot's actual location. When I asked them about this, they basically just shrugged.

The mazes on the ship were indeed better than the ones off of it, but honestly the atmosphere of the ship itself far surpassed anything they added to it for the event. One of the mazes (Feast) also had the scares stop maybe 3/4 of the way through and just meandered up/down stairs and through random, unthemed parts of the ship for the rest of it. I understand they have constraints, but that's just bad design on their part. Reverse it-make it seem like you're going deep into the bowels of the ship to uncover the mysteries of this maze. That way, there's anticipation and people psyche themselves out waiting for the scare to come, instead of an anticlimax.

Honestly, the creepiest thing the entire time I was at the Queen Mary happened when I was exploring the ship's boiler rooms in the stern on my own a few hours before the event started. The area was completely deserted because it was closing soon, and I found myself exploring this labrynth that went on seemingly forever, totally alone. It was far creepier than anything that took place during the actual event.

The "hidden bar" feature was weird, and made it seem like they were trying to compensate for inferior maze design by getting everyone liquored up in their version of the Hidden Mickey. It was the haunt for people who wanted drinks first, experience second.

I guess I just didn't understand the appeal. Maybe it's the value proposition compared to the others? Because that's literally the only saving grace I saw.

Rich T

A log ride does not need a pre-show. Splash as it is has no pre-show. Where would you put a pre-show?
I’m using the term “preshow”very loosely. It could be as brief as a series of open storybooks in the queue, a 20 second animated prologue on a monitor, or an AA of Louis on the 2nd lift shouting Facilier’s-returned-and-is-holding-Naveen—hostage.

You say a log ride does not need a pre show. It also doesn’t need a story at all for that matter. When it comes to ride design, anything goes AS LONG AS IT WORKS. You could say a Drop Tower doesn’t need a preshow, but I loved ToT’s (and MB’s).

It doesn’t matter. All I’m doing is guessing at what’s going to happen. Some of it seems obvious & some of it’s a stretch, but I am looking forward to seeing the results. I actually think this is the first time I’ve been happy about a DLR retheme since Monster’s Inc.

Professortango1

Last year I did Scary Farm (2nd time), Dark Harbor, and HHN (both first time) over a weekend. Dark Harbor couldn't begin to compare to the other two. I guess in a way I was left wondering how so much hype had built up around such a mediocre event.

It's not really their fault, and I had read about it beforehand and was prepared, but their infrastructure is terrible. All chintzy carnival booths and portapotties on a parking lot-which might be more forgivable if I felt like their haunts were stellar.

Things they COULD control include their line management-they don't need three per maze (standby and two upcharge options that were vaguely differentiated from each other). If there two levels of upcharge access, and there's maybe a $20 difference between the two, who is the lower upcharge tier for? Who benefits from "kinda sorta" quick access?

Additionally, I paid to park in one of their offsite lots, but the map on their own site didn't actually line up with the parking lot's actual location. When I asked them about this, they basically just shrugged.

The mazes on the ship were indeed better than the ones off of it, but honestly the atmosphere of the ship itself far surpassed anything they added to it for the event. One of the mazes (Feast) also had the scares stop maybe 3/4 of the way through and just meandered up/down stairs and through random, unthemed parts of the ship for the rest of it. I understand they have constraints, but that's just bad design on their part. Reverse it-make it seem like you're going deep into the bowels of the ship to uncover the mysteries of this maze. That way, there's anticipation and people psyche themselves out waiting for the scare to come, instead of an anticlimax.

Honestly, the creepiest thing the entire time I was at the Queen Mary happened when I was exploring the ship's boiler rooms in the stern on my own a few hours before the event started. The area was completely deserted because it was closing soon, and I found myself exploring this labrynth that went on seemingly forever, totally alone. It was far creepier than anything that took place during the actual event.

The "hidden bar" feature was weird, and made it seem like they were trying to compensate for inferior maze design by getting everyone liquored up in their version of the Hidden Mickey. It was the haunt for people who wanted drinks first, experience second.

I guess I just didn't understand the appeal. Maybe it's the value proposition compared to the others? Because that's literally the only saving grace I saw.

Queen Mary had its perks over Knotts in some areas, especially the price. They also have some really cool physical environments (town shops/ship) that add production value. It is a lot smaller and doesn't have the budget of Knotts. I am happy that Dark Harbor has kept their great entertainment options while Knotts has cut nearly all entertainment from Scary Farm.

Professortango1

There are no logs, flumes, singing geese, giant waterfalls, real Laughing Place, railroad handcarts, rabbit family, vultures, hound dogs, swamps or barns in Song of the South.

It still works (terribly paced storytelling aside).

Frog Mountain can also work. NO ONE will care about story liberties if it works. It’s a flume ride, not a Pulitzer-nominated novel.

Definitely hoping they do NOT go the villain-less Frozen Ever After route on this. I don’t think they will.
(Edit)
How’d did all this end up in the Knott’s thread? (Checks) ...Ohhh...This is my fault. Sorry...

The logs are not part of the ride's story. The carved Brer Rabbit on the front tells us that this is a themed ride vehicle like Snow White or Pinocchio rather than an active part of the story like Roger Rabbit or Indy.

The Laughing place we enter is the inside of the tree that Brer Bear sticks his nose into.

There are tons of singing animals in Song of the South.

There is no waterfall, but there is a Chickapin Hill and remember that the log/flume are not directly active in the story. It's a Doombuggy.
Beer Rabbit was thrown/dropped into the Briar patch.

There was a barn in Song of the South. Everything that wasn't in the film also does fit the style and place where the story takes place. It looks like the world of Song of the South whereas it doesn't look like New Orleans at all.

Rich T

The logs are not part of the ride's story. The carved Brer Rabbit on the front tells us that this is a themed ride vehicle like Snow White or Pinocchio rather than an active part of the story like Roger Rabbit or Indy.

The Laughing place we enter is the inside of the tree that Brer Bear sticks his nose into.

There are tons of singing animals in Song of the South.

There is no waterfall, but there is a Chickapin Hill and remember that the log/flume are not directly active in the story. It's a Doombuggy.
Beer Rabbit was thrown/dropped into the Briar patch.

There was a barn in Song of the South. Everything that wasn't in the film also does fit the style and place where the story takes place. It looks like the world of Song of the South whereas it doesn't look like New Orleans at all.
The Laughing Place in the movie is a state of mind, not an actual thing, and Kingdom of the Dinosaurs was a sterile retheme, not an actually good attraction. (My opinion, YMMV. 😃 Sorry—Gotta get this back on track as a Knotts post😃)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom