All Epcot, All the Time (aka Has Disney given up on SSE?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vernonpush

Disney? Getting things done???

Nah.

EDIT: That is not to say I don't think there is wok being done inside SSE. However, if disney really cared or wanted SSE to be all it could be, they would have closed it again, done the job, and reopened it as soon as they could.

I agree!!! Why do Epcot redo's have so many problems.

You may be asking the same thing about Space Mountain a year from now when they reopen it in November.

The "signature attraction" needs to be open as soon as possible from a refurb. (even if it's not finished - i.e. Haunted Mansion).

jt04

I agree!!! Why do Epcot redo's have so many problems.

I think it is because upper management does not have a clue as to what they want Epcot to be.

And it's too bad because the answer is obvious. The original concept was sound. Siemens seems to have a better understanding than WDI. The only change needs to be is in sponsorship. Instead of American corps only, they need to look at forward looking international companies also. I think Toyota could be a valuable sponsor. Sony would be a great sponsor for a Future World pavilion. Also Honda.

Expo_Seeker40

I think if Toyota took over Test Track we would see alot of the clutter and doo-dads removed around the pavilion, giving way to a more sleek, refined look. I see the world of motion pavilion's chrome facade, complimented by red white and black colors and a futuristic post show via Toyota.

EPCOT Explorer

Disney? Getting things done???

Nah.

EDIT: That is not to say I don't think there is wok being done inside SSE. However, if disney really cared or wanted SSE to be all it could be, they would have closed it again, done the job, and reopened it as soon as they could.
Do you know how problematic it would be if they had to close it again? The Icon with a refurb wall around it is not a happy site.

I think if Toyota took over Test Track we would see alot of the clutter and doo-dads removed around the pavilion, giving way to a more sleek, refined look. I see the world of motion pavilion's chrome facade, complimented by red white and black colors and a futuristic post show via Toyota.
I agree...I hope we see this soon.

Missing20K

I have a question along the topic of sponsors in Epcot. What about Apple? With Mr. Jobs on the board and the largest shareholder, and the fact they are an innovative, unique, technology and futurist focused company, it seems like they could lend a hand to Future World. I would venture to guess if Apple had the multi-touch screens used on iPhones, iPods, and macbooks, out in innoventions a few years ago, people would have been impressed. If I'm running Apple, I would see Innoventions as a huge test marketing opportunity. Or maybe sponsor Imagination, as it could be a good fit. Using imagination to innovate technology.

Just a thought.

Anyone have any information as far as Apple being a FW pavilion sponsor?

Vernonpush

I have a question along the topic of sponsors in Epcot. What about Apple? With Mr. Jobs on the board and the largest shareholder, and the fact they are an innovative, unique, technology and futurist focused company, it seems like they could lend a hand to Future World. I would venture to guess if Apple had the multi-touch screens used on iPhones, iPods, and macbooks, out in innoventions a few years ago, people would have been impressed. If I'm running Apple, I would see Innoventions as a huge test marketing opportunity. Or maybe sponsor Imagination, as it could be a good fit. Using imagination to innovate technology.

Just a thought.

Would HP balk at that (like Kodak and the "Mt. Fuji in Japan" debate)?

EPCOT Explorer

Just a thought.

It's a good thought...I've had it too!:D I think Apple would work very well with the theme of EPCOT.

jt04

I don't think so as HP is so much bigger than just consumer electronics. I've been suprised Apple has not moved into Future World in a bigger way. Odd.

Missing20K

I totally forgot about HP. It wouldn't surprise me. Nor could I blame them. If my company gave a bunch of money to Disney to be a sponsor and then Disney turns around and gets sponsor money from a competitor, I'm not going to be happy.

Anyone know when the HP contract ends? Maybe that's all Jobs is waiting for. Once HP is gone, Apple takes over in a big way?

EPCOT Explorer

I totally forgot about HP. It wouldn't surprise me. Nor could I blame them. If my company gave a bunch of money to Disney to be a sponsor and then Disney turns around and gets sponsor money from a competitor, I'm not going to be happy.

Anyone know when the HP contract ends? Maybe that's all Jobs is waiting for. Once HP is gone, Apple takes over in a big way?

Perhaps...A Apple Space Pav. Might be a very interesting thing.:lookaroun:D

Disneyson 1

^It'd certainly be white... and glow-ey...

I can't believe we're finally so close to the re-opening! I can feel it in my bones...

wickedfan07

Do you know how problematic it would be if they had to close it again? The Icon with a refurb wall around it is not a happy site.

Icon or not, I would rather have seen a wall around Spaceship Earth for two or three more months than the attraction inside being incomplete for each and every Guest who has gone through it for the last 14 months.

EDIT: Since I already have apost going here...

I really like the idea of having Apple sponsor a chunk of (if not all of?) Innoventions. There might actually be something worth seeing in there, and the average person would be itersted because they could see tomorrow's iPhone or iPod or whatever before it hits shelves. A win-win: apple gets even more exposure and they also get to field test their product before its release. I'd say this would be a good mood. I would rather see Kodak stay sponsoring Imagination. They havebeen a faithful sponsor and partner with Disney for many years on more than just this one attraction. Ending their sponsorship at Imagination ould spell the end of their partnership as a whole, which would be very sad to see and have a great effect on the parks (ie. Who sponsors the park maps?). Besides, doesn't Kodak own the Dreamfinder? (I thought I read that somewhere; this is why he isn't in the ride currently.) If they left, so would 99% of the possibility of ever seeing him in the attraction again, which I know is important to many people.

EPCOT Explorer

Icon or not, I would rather have seen a wall around Spaceship Earth for two or three more months than the attraction inside being incomplete for each and every Guest who has gone through it for the last 14 months.

I agree. The finale is despicable.But it's also a little crazy to keep prolonging the opening..remember how many times the opening was pushed bck the first time?

wickedfan07

I agree. The finale is despicable.But it's also a little crazy to keep prolonging the opening..remember how many times the opening was pushed bck the first time?

I think they knew all along that it would take longer than they originally announced. Perhaps it was a case like we're now seeing with Space Mountain: Disney says it will open in November, but all the insiders say it will take a least a few extra months. In the case of SSe, they managed to get away with it; the touchscreen made up the time lst by the curtained-off effects. With Space Mountain, if they go ahead and replace track, they're not going to be able to open a half-baked attraction; it's all or nothing. In any case, I still think Disney knew well ahead of time that it would take longer than they orignally announced to complete the refurbishment.

Reopening the geosphere for the Christmas period was acceptable. They needed the capacity in the park and the ride was incomplete yet passable (for a short time). There was no good reason for Ops to not let WDI take the ride down from January until Easter (which was in late March) to finish the job right and on-time. The original press release even said the total refurbishment time would take several months longer (concluding mid-February I think) than the original closure dates made it seem (which were July 9 - November 1, 2007, then extended to November 14, I remember). there's no good reasonwhy this is still being worked on, and in the third shift no less.

Of course, it's not the end of the world or anything, but they'd save money and have a better product if the company would stop dancing around these decisions and just do things the right way the first time. then we'd have better attracvtions and a little more money in the budget to play with new toys (or at least keep the old ones in working order.)

EPCOT Explorer

I think they knew all along that it would take longer than they originally announced. Perhaps it was a case like we're now seeing with Space Mountain: Disney says it will open in November, but all the insiders say it will take a least a few extra months. In the case of SSe, they managed to get away with it; the touchscreen made up the time lst by the curtained-off effects. With Space Mountain, if they go ahead and replace track, they're not going to be able to open a half-baked attraction; it's all or nothing. In any case, I still think Disney knew well ahead of time that it would take longer than they orignally announced to complete the refurbishment.

Reopening the geosphere for the Christmas period was acceptable. They needed the capacity in the park and the ride was incomplete yet passable (for a short time). There was no good reason for Ops to not let WDI take the ride down from January until Easter (which was in late March) to finish the job right and on-time. The original press release even said the total refurbishment time would take several months longer (concluding mid-February I think) than the original closure dates made it seem (which were July 9 - November 1, 2007, then extended to November 14, I remember). there's no good reasonwhy this is still being worked on, and in the third shift no less.

Of course, it's not the end of the world or anything, but they'd save money and have a better product if the company would stop dancing around these decisions and just do things the right way the first time. then we'd have better attracvtions and a little more money in the budget to play with new toys (or at least keep the old ones in working order.)
Look...It's TDO, what do you expect? They would try and milk this thing as long as possible.:lol::lol::rolleyes:

At least it's getting done!

MousDad

You can thank Siemens yet again for the plussing to SSE ... the attraction was considered done when it reopened, no matter what you hear.

It was only after company officials toured it and then listened to what guests were saying that they went back to Disney and said 'something needs to be done.'

One of you is wrong.

WDWFigment

Just a thought.

I remember this same discussion coming up a while back, with the same HP issue raised, then, too.

An interesting idea (proposed then, too) was have WDI "sponsor" the attraction. While I can't see this happening when there is a real corporate sponsor, should Imagination lose Kodak and be unable to find a replacement, it would be cool to see it sponsored by WDI.

Just think, an area to show off the innovative (and unused!) concepts and designs of Disney's in-house team, rather than having the area be a dated and glorified Kodak advertisement.

By the way, I think as a company, Kodak is about as imaginative as the current incarnation of the pavilion (both were last relevant in 1998!). So maybe the current setup is a good one?

wickedfan07

One of you is wrong.

Not necessarily, but I see your point. The fact still remains that, even if Seimens wanted the ride plussed (and was willing to pay more money to have it done), here's no good reason Disney couldn't take the ride down for a month and get it oer with rather than make it a third-shift hassle every night for several months. Whether or not the new effects are disneys plan or Seimen's deman, it's still stupid that they're doing this
work only in the third shift.

WDWfigment said:
An interesting idea (proposed then, too) was have WDI "sponsor" the attraction. While I can't see this happening when there is a real corporate sponsor, should Imagination lose Kodak and be unable to find a replacement, it would be cool to see it sponsored by WDI.

That would actually be pretty cool. However, are there financial concerns tied to this? for instance, would WDI actually have to pay epcot for sponsorship? (Don't different branches of the company pay each other all the time for various reasons? does it even out because Epcot would have already paid WDI for the new attraction design?)

That was just random thought, but the idea itself is pretty cool. However, it would have people asking, "well why didn't they ever build it if it's so imaginative?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom