All Epcot, All the Time (aka Has Disney given up on SSE?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWG

Leave a Legacy is nearing the end of its required lifespan is it not? We have a square and I thought it was 10 years in the park. LL started in 1999 for the '00 celebration so......

We just revisited our picture yesterday. It was our honeymoon pic, it is kind of fun to visit that and know it was our special time. Not well placed, but still a fun concept. This was our 4th visit since 2000 and we've found our pic each time.

My guess is that LL is the next to go in the ongoing clean up of Epcot.

EPCOT Explorer

Leave a Legacy is nearing the end of its required lifespan is it not? We have a square and I thought it was 10 years in the park. LL started in 1999 for the '00 celebration so......

We just revisited our picture yesterday. It was our honeymoon pic, it is kind of fun to visit that and know it was our special time. Not well placed, but still a fun concept. This was our 4th visit since 2000 and we've found our pic each time.

My guess is that LL is the next to go in the ongoing clean up of Epcot.

I certainly hope you are right! Those things make it very hard to navigate the entrance plaza.

mcjaco

I thought it was 50 years.

I believe it was 20. There was a part of the contract that stated that they would be in the park for 20 year (or however long it is), but not necessarily in the same location.

It's a neat idea, I just didn't like the execution. I can see them consolidating them, and moving them to the area south of Innoventions East.

EpcotServo

I certainly hope you are right! Those things make it very hard to navigate the entrance plaza.

I'm sorry, but as a longstanding citizen of EPCOT Center, I think the hatred of Leave a Legacy is highly over exaggerated. I think it looks fine and it's one of the last things that adds the COMMUNITY part to EPCOT.

All it needs is a certain structure to return to a certain fountain.

:shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

I believe it was 20. There was a part of the contract that stated that they would be in the park for 20 year (or however long it is), but not necessarily in the same location.

It's a neat idea, I just didn't like the execution. I can see them consolidating them, and moving them to the area south of Innoventions East.
Where? On the outside?

I always thought FoN, but that's just me.:D

Mr.EPCOT

I'm sorry, but as a longstanding citizen of EPCOT Center, I think the hatred of Leave a Legacy is highly over exaggerated. I think it looks fine and it's one of the last things that adds the COMMUNITY part to EPCOT.

I don't think any of us hate the concept, after all, you don't hear anyone ragging on the Walk Around the World bricks. But it's just simply that it is so poorly executed, wrong placement, wrong materials, etc. The main entrance plaza was better before. And yes, Leave a Legacy or not, the fountain sculpture is a must.

EpcotServo

I don't think any of us hate the concept, after all, you don't hear anyone ragging on the Walk Around the World bricks. But it's just simply that it is so poorly executed, wrong placement, wrong materials, etc. The main entrance plaza was better before. And yes, Leave a Legacy or not, the fountain sculpture is a must.

I'd disagree, but I don't have the wherewithal to defend myself.

:lol:

EPCOT Explorer

So a bunch of acid etched pictures constitutes a community?:rolleyes::lol:

I think the Ws part of EPCOT is the community.

It looks O.K. But it's too close together. If it were spaced out, it might be nicer. Also, it blocks up the "floating" effect of SSE. Those legs are blue for a reason.;)

Annother issue: Concrete/Marble/Heat < Trees/Flowers/coolness. I don't want to feel like I'm in a box when in EPCOT...I want the future existing in a lush, breathable environment. The old Plaza executed that magnificently.

SirNim

When it had a certain novelty and newness to it, it was somewhat impressive. But as the years rolled on, its millennial styling—harsh stone and burnished metal—has stood in stark contrast to a softer, greener vision of the future. Gone are the blocky motifs of the late 1990s. They have yielded to a more naturalistic, rounded, glassier vision which ironically was envisaged to a certain extent in the original construction of EPCOT Center—all the glass, all the foliage, all the water, which gradually gave way to concrete, whirligigs, and monoliths. Everything is cyclical.

EPCOT Explorer

The outside, where the path is from TT.

Hmmmm, I hear Wonders of Life has a lot of available space....... :lookaroun
Ahhh...Thatv works.:lol:
I think that DubbzHad a realluy neat idea of integrating them into the FON...
Thanks!

They could just etent the outer wall out a bit,put the pictures on it, have water flowing out and over it (calm and clear of course) and have the jets on top.:D

SirNim

Well, if one were to change around Leave a Legacy rather than remove it entirely, what would one do exactly?
There is plenty of wall space around the park, alcoves and such, on which the individual LaL plaques could be mounted. Alternatively, the entire LaL stones, plaques and all, could be uprooted and placed in any of the garden areas around FW East and West or World Showcase, or an entirely new, less obtrusive mount could be built in a newly-"Enchanced" Main Entrance Plaza, which obviously would have to undergo renovation in order to remove the LaL stones as they are currently configured. Some time ago speculation centered on relocating the tiles along the outer boundary wall of the Entrance Plaza, or along a low wall built along and around the perimeter of the center flower planter.

The idea of placing the tiles in a fountain setting is neat, though I personally find intriguing the idea of digitizing all the images and turning them into a video loop that could be played on the Tip Boards and other new custom LCD screens around the park.

EPCOT Explorer

There is plenty of wall space around the park, alcoves and such, on which the individual LaL plaques could be mounted. Alternatively, the entire LaL stones, plaques and all, could be uprooted and placed in any of the garden areas around FW East and West or World Showcase, or an entirely new, less obtrusive mount could be built in a newly-"Enchanced" Main Entrance Plaza, which obviously would have to undergo renovation in order to remove the LaL stones as they are currently configured. Some time ago speculation centered on relocating the tiles along the outer boundary wall of the Entrance Plaza, or along a low wall built along and around the perimeter of the center flower planter.

The idea of placing the tiles in a fountain setting is neat, though I personally prefer the idea of digitizing all the images and turning them into a video loop that could be played on the Tip Boards and other new custom LCD screens around the park.

Much easier than my plan...:lol: Anyone want them in WS Plaza? It would make sense there too...A Tapestry of Nationalities.;)

The digital idea is nice too. We could use them in SSE...

EpcotServo

So a bunch of acid etched pictures constitutes a community?:rolleyes::lol:

Each of those pictures is a peoples! I'm on there. I'm in EPCOT EVERY DAY. My Image is now had around the same life span as many of my favorite EPCOT attractions.

It's seen things. It's seen so many people walk past it. Shows have come in and gone. Attractions built...So many memories lost in time...

:lookaroun

Anyways, yes EPCOT is about the people, and I like that people are a major part of the entrance. I think they're really pretty at night when you stand in the middle of them and see the reflections of the (NONWANDED) Spaceship Earth.

I'm just saying that unlike the Wand or Pin Station Spider Web, I'd be sad to see the monuments go just to be replaced by Flower Beds.

EPCOT Explorer

Each of those pictures is a peoples! I'm on there. I'm in EPCOT EVERY DAY. My Image is now had around the same life span as many of my favorite EPCOT attractions.

It's seen things. It's seen so many people walk past it. Shows have come in and gone. Attractions built...So many memories lost in time...

:lookaroun

Anyways, yes EPCOT is about the people, and I like that people are a major part of the entrance. I think they're really pretty at night when you stand in the middle of them and see the reflections of the (NONWANDED) Spaceship Earth.

I'm just saying that unlike the Wand or Pin Station Spider Web, I'd be sad to see the monuments go just to be replaced by Flower Beds.
Well said!:lol: I quite agree on the concept! The execution is terrible, though. People are a HUGE part of the EPCOT Center concept...and that's why I think we should move these babies over to WS Plaza.:lol:

The aesthetics, are it's main issue. It clashes with SSE. Metal on metal? No...SSE should be underscored with plants and water, not more stone and metal. Bring back some trees, maybe some reflecting pools? Make the environment for SSE a welcoming one.

I wish I was in EPCOT everyday..:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom