All DHS, all the Time

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And I really wish they'd bring back the working studio aspect to the park again. It really added a whole new level to the park and I don't see why they couldn't.
Because not enough productions wanted to move to central Florida. Both Universal and Disney really did try hard to persuade them.
But at night...Imagine a multi-media fireworks display. Build the new facade with leds, lasers, fire effects, smoke, fireworks launching sites.
Regular SitS was a traffic and operations nightmare... and imagine now having to close TSMM as well as everything else behind the theatre.

EPCOT Explorer

Because not enough productions wanted to move to central Florida. Both Universal and Disney really did try hard to persuade them.
Regular SitS was a traffic and operations nightmare... and imagine now having to close TSMM as well as everything else behind the theatre.

So...Is there a way to bring back a show that WOULDN'T need that?

Like all launches from the back of the park?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So...Is there a way to bring back a show that WOULDN'T need that?

Like all launches from the back of the park?
I`d guess even high launchers would need a certain ammount of closure; SitS high-alts were launched from next to Cat Canyon - meaning SOA, MA and Pixar Place would still be within the fallout zone.

EPCOT Explorer

I`d guess even high launchers would need a certain ammount of closure; SitS high-alts were launched from next to Cat Canyon - meaning SOA, MA and Pixar Place would still be within the fallout zone.

Talk about a poor design for the park! Why didn't they anticipate having a firework show?

PhilharMagician

Its just a half day park really. I love the atmosphere, but there's just not that much to do. :shrug: And quite a few rides need rehabs.

I hear this said about DHS, Epcot and AK. I guess I really don't understand. Is the fact that there are not enough differant E-tickets (major attractions) to contineuosly ride all day? Do you not stop to take in the entertainment and surroundings? DHS has plenty of shows, rides and there is always some kind of streetmosphere going on. If you get there at rope drop and do everything the park has to offer it will easily take more than a day.

bulldozer.jpg

Meet

hb_great_movie_ride.jpg

Capt, I hope you don't mean plow the entire ride down. GMR needs alot of help, but the storyline is differant and Disney. It really needs to have a complete overhaul and be updated to the next generation of movies, but not removed.

I completely agree with you on that one. I saw this show once and it was enough for me. It still upsets me that they had to take out the houses to put in that piece of garbage.

LMA was a great addition to DHS. To say that 3 houses are more valueable than LMA is :brick:. The backlot tour was once a great, no the best show/ride in MGM and now it has been reduced to just a fraction of it's former glory. When the houses were removed to make way for LMA the Backlot tour was already in complete disrepair. LMA is now a huge crowd eater during the busy times and without it I can't imagine what the walkways would be.

I think DHS could use another TS restaurant!
There is already 4 TS restaurants and MK only has 5 with 60% more guests then DHS. I can't imagine that happening anytime soon.
Brown Derby
Hollywood & Vine
Prime Time Cafe
Mama Melrose
Sci Fi Drive-in

Resurrection of back lot tour plz

kthnxbai
It will never happen. I really hope it will just fade away at this point. Let it die with what little dignity it has left.

[

epcotWSC

Maybe I'm wrong, but
http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=28.354327&lon=-81.55656&zoom=17
If they move the parking lot back towards Victory Way they'd have a lot of room there. Of course that would move the whole entire beginning of the park back which would change the layout completely. Another possibility would be all of that wooded area by S Studio Dr S. Move the road that leads to the parking lot and expand south towards Osceola Parkway. That area is probably about half the size of the park. It could even expand up to the parking area and maybe even south of it. Also does anyone know what that big semicircle cut through the trees is? If it's a small river, I'm sure that could even be incorporated nicely into the park.

elisatonks

And I really wish they'd bring back the working studio aspect to the park again. It really added a whole new level to the park and I don't see why they couldn't. They could build a few new sound stages and backlot sets across the canal to the south of the park and have Disney film its own productions there and have other production companies film there for certain fees. I dunno, just my hopeless wishful thinking. :shrug:

This would not work, the canal area is built up with the boardwalk, swan and dolphin and beach club hotels, and then EPCOT and the rest either has a major highway over it or the studios parking lot. Also the buildings that are left for the animators days are now mostly offices. there is also World Drive blocking one side and the other end is very close to roads leading to wide world of sports and animal kingdom area from the 192 and I4 and the actual maingate, as well as the trees cutting the park out of view from those staying at the pop century resort. unfortunetly the old filming areas now have TSM and LMA on them.

Another tibit from my mind of useless info is that GMR was orginally a concept for EPCOT and Eisner suggested that it could actually shape a whole park, can't remember if i was told this in a disney class or in a book about imagineering.

glendroid

somehow i can spend my whole day there.

waiting for shows =| and lining up 100+minutes for TSM.. IN JANUARY :(

and watching the ToT line fluctuate between 5-65 minutes..

how come i find that the times are never that accurate? how accurate is the ving card system that they use?

elisatonks

I always seem able to spend a full day in the park as well, people who do half days def haven't seen everything. with the ving cards they are only as good as the CM's who collect them at the end, if you forget to swipe one the whole system can be knocked off.

epcotWSC

To me for someone who goes to the parks often, it's a half day park. Someone who goes a few times a year or more is not going to want to see all of the shows every time. So if you lop off the shows, you literally cut your day in half if not less.

GMR
TSM
ToT
RnR
Star Tours
Muppets 3D
HISTMSA
WD:OMD
Magic of Disney Animation

and that's kind of stretching it with the last few since those are kind of shows as well.

I think that a good idea to me would be to Hollywoodize Sunset and Hollywood Blvd. The rest of the park? Lots of thrill rides and shows. Make DHS be the place where teenagers and young adults go to get their thrills, but also have it appeal to everyone with the shows. It would be a really good blend, especially since the other parks have three or less thrill rides each, that would separate DHS from the other parks.

dbogue

Few things... the sounds dangerous building has almost no room at all for a dark ride. The monster sound stage was a great attraction I hope another "foley" themed show shows up because I don't think there are any die hard fans of sounds dangerous.

Do not add the Indy ride here. I understand that everyone wants what DL has but keep the integrity of the park. Just because it is based upon a movie doesn't mean it should be in there. The indy show is perfect for the studios because it is based upon a movie AND it is more importantly showing you the backstage workings of a movie set. (which I think we all agree is part of the studios' original idea) So please stop the synergizing and copy-machine spewing of attractions from coast to coast.

Star Tours definetly needs an update. It can be AMAZING. I don't need to go into details on how much room for Imagineering magic there is. The biggest saving grace this park may receive will end up being Pixar Place. While Pixar Place is only one attraction, a bathroom, a snack stand and a meet 'n greet location now... it can be a land that you should devote half your day to. Think about the possibilities. (i do understand that I just made a point about "just being movies" to put it into the park) but Pixar is huge. Everyone knows that name and I think most of us will agree that Pixar films have been out-performing WDAS films for a while now. (with exceptions of course) but having a Pixar tour even would be a good idea. There is more room than people realize if you take out the backlot tour. Pixar place will hopefully be a phenomenal addition to my favorite Disney Park. (yes that's right DHS is my number one)

Now, I haven't seen American Idol yet but I will in about a week or so. From what I hear it is actually reminiscent of the studios' glory days back when it did feel like you were part of something real.

Again, just my two cents.

CaptainMichael

Capt, I hope you don't mean plow the entire ride down. GMR needs alot of help, but the storyline is differant and Disney. It really needs to have a complete overhaul and be updated to the next generation of movies, but not removed.

No, but I do sometimes feel that way when I get suckered into riding it. The only scene worth saving is the Wizard of Oz scene which is amazing. Everything else can go!

dbogue

No, but I do sometimes feel that way when I get suckered into riding it. The only scene worth saving is the Wizard of Oz scene which is amazing. Everything else can go!

little known fact, the OZ scene was meant to be even more grandiose than it already is! Imagine getting thrown into oz through a tornado...

WDWFigment

[

I strongly disagree. The attraction's name is The Great Movie Ride, not the "Currently Popular" or "Mega Blockbuster" Movie Ride. You would cut out Casablanca? Singin' in the Rain? Mary Poppins? Footlight Parade, etc?

Now, there are some movies that haven't stood the test of time (Alien) that are represented. I actually think that's the perfect argument for not bringing in contemporary and currently popular movies into the film. The attraction should be timeless, not a constantly changing plug for the new Disney hit.

I am curious, what do you guys think belongs there of the contemporary hits? (Since they didn't include pre-1989 American classics, let's assume they couldn't get the right to such films as The Godfather, Citizen Kane, or even Blade Runner, etc. - so don't include any pre-1989 movies on the list).

In other DHS talk, here's a cool shot (I think) that I took of Gertie:

imagineer boy

Original Poster
Do not add the Indy ride here. I understand that everyone wants what DL has but keep the integrity of the park. Just because it is based upon a movie doesn't mean it should be in there. The indy show is perfect for the studios because it is based upon a movie AND it is more importantly showing you the backstage workings of a movie set. (which I think we all agree is part of the studios' original idea) So please stop the synergizing and copy-machine spewing of attractions from coast to coast.

But have you been on Indy at DL? It would truly benefit DHS. And they can make it fit into the park by having a similar exterior to Star Tours where its made to look like a set from a movie with lighting fixtures, etc. but when you enter the temple, its all real from there. Besides, since TDL has their own version of Indy, I don't see why we can't have one either. :(

imagineer boy

Original Poster
Now, there are some movies that haven't stood the test of time (Alien) that are represented. I actually think that's the perfect argument for not bringing in contemporary and currently popular movies into the film. The attraction should be timeless, not a constantly changing plug for the new Disney hit.

What's up with all the hate for the alien scene? :lol: I think the movie is still very much relevent in today's society. The scene I really think should be replaced is the Tarzan scene.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom