Alien Swirling Saucers

yaksplat

We deemed this one an absolute waste of a wait. It was in the 90's last week and there was no shade. None of the things in the queue that had buttons, were actually buttons. Some of those decorations could have been made functional in some way.

geekza

We deemed this one an absolute waste of a wait. It was in the 90's last week and there was no shade. None of the things in the queue that had buttons, were actually buttons. Some of those decorations could have been made functional in some way.
I'm of the opinion that it's okay to not have an interactive queue if you're only going to be in that queue for a few minutes. If you're going to be stuck in a queue for over fifteen minutes with no shade in FLORIDA, then you'd better have some buttons that do something. As far as I'm concerned, the gold standard for this is Peter Pan's Flight. Because of the nature of the ride, along with its popularity, it always gets a long line. Throughout the new queue, there is always something to look at and something with which to interact. It fits perfectly into the "story" of the ride and is almost an attraction unto itself. Waiting in line for that attraction used to be something that caused me to actually skip riding it the last time I was there, because the actual attraction is so short. Now, I can't wait to visit it when I go in November.

They dropped the ball with both the Saucers and Slinky Dog, in my opinion. Yes, the neat little drawings and old toy boxes are cool, but only for the few seconds it takes to take them in. Otherwise, they're both pretty standard switchbacks, which I had thought Disney recognized as a problem several years ago and now try to avoid. The push now is to have phone games that are only active when you're in the queue. That's lazy, but it's relatively inexpensive, so it's pretty right in line with current Disney management.

I'm actually kind of shocked to learn that it isn't money that is an issue and that new attractions have budgets that are through the roof. How can you have so much money and still come out the other side looking like you skimped on things? It beggars belief.

Michael T

I went on it. As a fan of Toy Story aliens, I was so excited that they were making an alien attraction. I enjoyed it if it was a walk on. If I have to wait more than 5 minutes it is a no for me. And to answer your question asking why this was approved. It was because it was cheap and it adds another attraction to Toy Story Land. Also, both Slinky Dog Dash"s queue and this queue were horrible. It was themed pretty well, but they are the worst to stand in while out in the Florida sun.

MagicRat

Just visited the land last week. My family and I thought it was great. We enjoyed the alien ride. We also thought slinky dog was a lot of fun and very smooth. It fits what the studios needed, rides the whole family can enjoy. It is very pretty at night.

You can’t please everyone all of the time, I think the Banshee ride is lame. I hope not all future rides go 3D, but that is just me, I find that type of ride lazy. But there are different strokes for different folks.

What gets me is the hate for these two rides but the nostalgia for the wax figure, plywood cutout rides on slow tracks of the future world from the 80’s and early 90’s. Just so I don’t aggravate anyone I enjoyed those rides too.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The speed is too slow. The "whip" action seems worse than that of classic Whip rides. The music, commonplace. Theme, nonexistent.

This should have been an improvement over Mater's Junkyard Jamboree but this is a downgrade from it's predecessor.

A.S.S. has no underlying story or theme. It's just aliens, swirling around in their saucers. Ooooohhhhh. Atleast with Junkyard there's a clear theme and premise. So, what would have been better? How would Andy have used these toys? What could be done to make A.S.S. suck less? (hehe) Surfn' Aliens? Disco Aliens? Secret Agent Aliens? IDK but this ride seems to be lacking a few things.

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
In thinking a bit more about this.

The ride is not terrible. For most of us - It just wasn't up to expectations. Dare I say - it was "unmagical" (cause I'll never miss an opportunity to use that word).

I'm of the opinion that this ride is more akin to something that you would find in CHDR.

At least that was my take away - but my kids (3 and 5) thought it was great. They can't wait to go again.

MaximumEd

What gets me is the hate for these two rides but the nostalgia for the wax figure, plywood cutout rides on slow tracks of the future world from the 80’s and early 90’s. Just so I don’t aggravate anyone I enjoyed those rides too.

To be intellectually honest, that’s not an even close approximation to the design and look of the 80’s and 90’s Future World rides.

MagicRat

To be intellectually honest, that’s not an even close approximation to the design and look of the 80’s and 90’s Future World rides.

I am unsure what the difference between being intellectually honest and just plain honest is, Epcot is my favorite park. Horizons was my favorite ride. However, let’s face it, the future world rides of twenty years ago are the Cleveland Browns of amusement park rides. Beautiful building...well you get my point.

Also, let’s start with the original poster of this thread. He or she goes by Chef Mickey. If there is no other place that is a waste of money and poor theming in the world it is Chef Mickey’s. Now, I find that intellectually ironic! Having written this, some people like one thing and others like something else.

What’s your favorite helmet?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
That calls for the classic Walt wisdom:

waltdisney1-2x.jpg

Everybody can amuse a four year old. All I need is my Tyrannosaur hand puppet and a funny voice. Everything McDonald's needs is a slide and some coloured balls. The genius of Disney' parks is not that they can amuse the four year old just like everybody else, but that they managed to amuse the adult.
I’m impressed. Some find fault in all things Disney. It is a great family area. Adults failing acceptance to that need can bypass with ease. Problem solved.

KBLovedDisney

I pretty much never go over 200 days without a trip but man if I had to go 584 days I think I'd just have a nervous breakdown. LOL!
Yeah, I don't know if I am going to make it that long without going to the World.:cry:The hubs was talking about possibly doing a short weekend trip up there because he is missing it too, just got to work our way into scheduling a trip and having a good amount of funds to do so.

But, here's hoping because I am missing it like no tomorrow..land.:bawling:

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
A.S.S. has no underlying story or theme. It's just aliens, swirling around in their saucers. Ooooohhhhh. Atleast with Junkyard there's a clear theme and premise. So, what would have been better? How would Andy have used these toys? What could be done to make A.S.S. suck less? (hehe) Surfn' Aliens? Disco Aliens? Secret Agent Aliens? IDK but this ride seems to be lacking a few things.

Alien Swinging Saucers is a playset Andy won at Pizza Planet.

https://torontosun.com/entertainmen...ew-toy-story-land-everything-you-need-to-know

Disney is no stranger to rides as playsets.

106514C5-E6E6-4A67-8EE0-E4BF5D4FEF0E.jpeg

dig311dug

should be indoors with some cool theme-ing and lights...
A mild rain storm shut this down when I went last.

Last edited:

slappy magoo

I rode it with my kids. My wife has lost her taste for spinning rides (used to love the Tea Cups but age has done things to her inner ear and now all spinning rides are a puke fest).

My kids will rarely say they hate a ride. I know my youngest hates Winnie the Pooh because of all things, the rain sequence scares her. They both hated Flight of Passage (and that was my fault, it was way too intense for both of them, I thought it would be more like Soarin' but on another planet but all the stuff at the beginning destroyed the calming ending).

So when we discuss rides we usually base how much we like it based on how long a wait in queue we think it's worth. If they think a ride isn't worth any wait, that means they hate it. Slinky Dog Dash was in their opinion worth the hour we waited, Dumbo's worth a half hour wait at least because it has the playground, my youngest thinks Winnie the Pooh is worth no wait, and my oldest feels the same way about Haunted Mansion.

We waited a half hour for A.S.S. (and whoever thought of that name probably deserves a promotion).

When we were done I asked them what they thought of it, and they both said "5 minute wait."

Mama23girls

Does this ride actually spin like tea cups? I can't ride tea cups for that reason. Looking to get a fp for slinky dog, but wondering if I should skip it for the saucers

Jon81uk

After visiting Toy Story Land, I had a lot of negative feelings...but one glaring question remained:

How the heck was this attraction approved?

This thing is worse than the teacups, has an outdoor queue, and looks like it belongs at a local carnival to be packed up on a truck at the end of the night. It looks cheap, isn't fun, already feels bumpy, and doesn't even have the classic wheel the rider can turn like in the teacups. You literally just sit there and bounce around, hoping it ends soon.

I get it...the land was clearly done on a budget. That's an entirely different discussion. It's a shame such a terrible, awful, complete failure of an attraction was actually greenlit by Iger's team. I could tolerate it if Slinky and the entire land didn't disappoint, but it does. Outdoor queues, peeling paint, a disappointing attraction, and another that shouldn't even be in a Disney park.

The fact we got 2 new rides and this was the second is totally disappointing.

Its the exact same ride as Maters Junkyard Jamboree at Disney California Adventure, different theme but exact same ride experience. Cars Land only has three attractions as well (although the headliner is probably better than Toy Story Mania is to be fair).

Every time I have done Maters at DCA I've had fun and enjoyed the ride for what it is, a fun ride that whips you back and force from side to side. More thrilling than something like teacups in my opinion. Definitely more fast paced than Dumbo.

Jon81uk

Does this ride actually spin like tea cups? I can't ride tea cups for that reason. Looking to get a fp for slinky dog, but wondering if I should skip it for the saucers

It whips back and forth, you slide from once side of the saucer to the other. You are generally moving forwards (but in a circle) and whipping side to side, you never spin around like teacups.

There isn't a comparable ride at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom