Alien Swirling Saucers

Shouldigo12

I mean, it's sad from the perspective that guests should expect better who know Disney's history and can even see it in other attractions and lands. It's also sad because it's 1 of the 2 new rides we got.
Yes, it is very unfortunate that people find the rides to be so lacking, as you put it. Especially since HS was in bad need of some new attractions. I would like to think that their subpar quality came from Disney rushing to put in some new rides to help deal with extra capacity from GE, and that once that's finished they can devote some TLC to that land to help it fit with expecations. Now if GE sucks, that I think would be worrisome.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I've learned in my time here that those of us who know what Disney is capable of and complain when something doesn't meet those standards tend to be shouted down by those who say, "It's fine. Stop comparing things to the way they used to be. The world has moved on. If you don't like it, go somewhere else for vacation."
I know Disney is capable of so much more and I agree that's the source of my disappointment. The same company built Tower of Terror, Everest, and Splash Mountain. I know every attraction can't be those, but the new stuff isn't half as good.

KBLovedDisney

I know Disney is capable of so much more and I agree that's the source of my disappointment. The same company built Tower of Terror, Everest, and Splash Mountain. I know every attraction can't be those, but the new stuff isn't half as good.
Not sure if this is the case, but I feel like the new guy in the hot seat is trying to:

1)Promote stuff quickly by showing advertisements out the wazoo

2)Followed by excessive merchandising

3)But at the same time building things sub-par just so they can acquire more attention quickly

In other words, quick money gains by using popular name brands but not diving into the imagination of the Disney heads that could really bring out the good in those brands by taking a better amount of time and using a lot more of their own investments to bring out the best that we good old Disney folks are used to!...

Bleh!
tenor.gif

original.gif

eliza61nyc

Not every ride in every park is for every person.

I think Dumbo Flying thing is not for me....but i'm guessing its someone's favorite ride.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but we are talking Alien Swirling Saucers, right? I'm absolutely puzzled that anyone could think this is a passable Disney attraction in 2018, particularly if it's the 2nd of only 2 new rides in a brand new land.

I'm actually sad if some people like it, because they've forgotten greatness. I get it...it's not an E-Ticket, but you have to consider the entire "land" was built with only 2 new rides. If we got 4, this is fine, but we only got 2 and even Slinky is a C-Ticket type attraction. 7DMT is FAR, FAR better than Slinky and it's probably only a solid D-Ticket.

Wooza, chef, you're usually not this condescending. So if someone likes the ride YOU have decided they must be ignoramuses that have forgotten "greatness".

Ok, I get it, you guys are attraction gurus, you guys are the simon cowells of theme parks. Yes we know, you guys went when Disney was stupendous but sorry please skip the faux pity.
Yes, I guess there are some ignorant hicks out there that had fun in toy story land and liked the ride. I liked Slinky dog ride. I thought it was fun but what do I know I hate space mountain and according to folks here that's a great ride.

I have no horse in this race as I did not ride it nor do I like the teacups but sorry I reject the idea that you are some all knowing ride god that looks down on mortals feeling pity for them because some of them do like it.

Come on guys, are we really going to start denigrating people who don't like the things you like? I was there 2 days ago and while I did not survey folks getting off the rides, the people I saw where laughing, smiling and having a good time

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Wooza, chef, you're usually not this condescending. So if someone likes the ride YOU have decided they must be ignoramuses that have forgotten "greatness".

Ok, I get it, you guys are attraction gurus, you guys are the simon cowells of theme parks. Yes we know, you guys went when Disney was stupendous but sorry please skip the faux pity.
Yes, I guess there are some ignorant hicks out there that had fun in toy story land and liked the ride. I liked Slinky dog ride. I thought it was fun but what do I know I hate space mountain and according to folks here that's a great ride.

I have no horse in this race as I did not ride it nor do I like the teacups but sorry I reject the idea that you are some all knowing ride god that looks down on mortals feeling pity for them because some of them do like it.

Come on guys, are we really going to start denigrating people who don't like the things you like? I was there 2 days ago and while I did not survey folks getting off the rides, the people I saw where laughing, smiling and having a good time
I wasn’t trying to be condescending at all...my apologies if it came off that way.

For what it’s worth, I think my response was far from “denigrating” or anything close to abrasive enough to warrant this response. I don’t even think the person I responded to was as offended as you seem to be. I also never called anyone an ignoramus, so let’s stop inferring what I meant.

I do think it’s terrible and wanted to make sure we were talking the same ride. She hadn’t even ridden it yet and based her thoughts on what she had read. I was just making the case for it being terrible, which I believe it is.

It’s not like I’m a Disney expert, but for the amount of time I’ve spent at a Disney World, I believe I am equipped to make sound judgements on attractions relative to current and past attractions. Experience is what shapes opinion and validates how meaningful it is to the person.

If you’re looking for the best opinion on what color to paint your house, you’d want someone with experience in interior decorating, no?

Similarly, if the best food you’ve ever eaten is Chili’s, you wouldn’t be equipped to be a restaurant critic, right? I mean, of course everyone can have an opinion on food, Disney attractions, or paint color and not be proven objectively wrong...but let’s be real. If I said Dumbo is the best attraction at WDW, that is an opinion you’d probably take with a grain of salt, right?

Last edited:

James J

In the Parks
No
I wasn’t trying to be condescending at all...my apologies if it came off that way.

For what it’s worth, I think my response was far from “denigrating” or anything close to abrasive enough to warrant this response. I don’t even think the person I responded to was as offended as you seem to be. I also never called anyone an ignoramus, so let’s stop inferring what I meant.

I do think it’s terrible and wanted to make sure we were talking the same ride. She hadn’t even ridden it yet and based her thoughts on what she had read. I was just making the case for it being terrible, which I believe it is.

It’s not like I’m a Disney expert, but for the amount of time I’ve spent at a Disney World, I believe I am equipped to make sound judgements on attractions relative to current and past attractions. Experience is was shapes opinion and validates how meaningful it is to the person.

If you’re looking for the best opinion on what color to paint your house, you’d want someone with experience in interior decorating, no?

Similarly, if the best food you’ve ever eaten is Chili’s, you wouldn’t be equipped to be a restaurant critic, right? I mean, of course everyone can have an opinion on food, Disney attractions, or paint color and not be proven objectively wrong...but let’s be real. If I said Dumbo is the best attraction at WDW, that is an opinion you’d probably take with a grain of salt, right?

I wouldn't necessarily go as far as calling it 'denigrating' but I agree with @eliza61nyc in that your response comes off as condescending. You're essentially saying 'you're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong'. If you thought Dumbo was the best attraction in WDW, then I'm not going to argue with you. Each to their own, you know?

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I wouldn't necessarily go as far as calling it 'denigrating' but I agree with @eliza61nyc in that your response comes off as condescending. You're essentially saying 'you're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong'. If you thought Dumbo was the best attraction in WDW, then I'm not going to argue with you. Each to their own, you know?
I guess we should just all say "to each their own" and end our discussion.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
I rode it a week ago. It broke down twice while I was in line. Think it had something to do with the mechanism that catches the little alien buggy when it switches tracks. I waited. Went on it. It had a bit of a state fair feel to me. That being said, it was okay. Not FP worthy - but okay.

StarWarsGirl

Toy Story Land is fantastic in the sense it allowed me to easily obtain FP's for TSM and wait less than 15 minutes in standby. Didn't care much for Mater's in CA so passed on the saucers. Did Slinky for the first and probably final time as I thought it was quite lackadaisical - and that was from the back row.
Agree with you on the first two, although I personally really like Slinky Dog. I like the uniqueness of it and the attention-to-detail.

Seriously though, if we were going to get a copy of a Carsland Attraction, we deserved to have Luigi's in the form of dancing saucers. That thing is still so cool.

eliza61nyc

I guess we should just all say "to each their own" and end our discussion.
No, not at all. I usually enjoy your discussions that's why I was so surprised with that one. I enjoy reading folks thoughts but if someone likes something that others don't it doesn't make them "sad" nor does it mean they can't recognize "greatness".

It just means they have different taste.

I didn't ride Alien space saucers so maybe I'm not the best person to weigh in. I apologize also,

I did enjoy TSL. I loved the colorfullness of it. Is it the best thing in HS no, did I think it was horrible? no.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I rode it last week. I thought it was fine, not "great", but fine. I didn't find it rough at all and saw no indication of the wheels damaging the cement.

It was better than I expected.

The new land itself was underwhelming. Very little available shade and a lot of walking for what little is there.

We didn't ride SDD, but from what I saw, it's a nice kids' coaster.

LUVofDIS

This thing is worse than the teacups

I personally love the Tea Cups, not because I feel it is a great ride, but because the way my wife and I laugh as we try to get that cup spinning faster and faster. Also the memories we have had on it over the years. There is more to rides than the tech, how fast they go or how much they wow you.

I will hopefully be riding Alien Saucers in a few weeks. I read reviews but I always hold judgement until I experience it.

In regards to food critics, interior decorators or movie critics, they can be wrong much of the time. When it comes to opinion based things, I like what I like. A little help isn't bad sometimes but I never rely on just the "pros" opinions. Now when it comes to science studies when fact is fact, the game changes. I put much more stock in things that can be backed by facts, medical, engineering, ETC.

All this being said, I respect others opinions but would never totally base my opinion on it. I am one who needs to find out for myself.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I personally love the Tea Cups, not because I feel it is a great ride, but because the way my wife and I laugh as we try to get that cup spinning faster and faster. Also the memories we have had on it over the years. There is more to rides than the tech, how fast they go or how much they wow you.

I will hopefully be riding Alien Saucers in a few weeks. I read reviews but I always hold judgement until I experience it.

In regards to food critics, interior decorators or movie critics, they can be wrong much of the time. When it comes to opinion based things, I like what I like. A little help isn't bad sometimes but I never rely on just the "pros" opinions. Now when it comes to science studies when fact is fact, the game changes. I put much more stock in things that can be backed by facts, medical, engineering, ETC.

All this being said, I respect others opinions but would never totally base my opinion on it. I am one who needs to find out for myself.
Teacups is simply better because of the rider controlled wheel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom