Alien Swirling Saucers

eliza61nyc

No, just denigrating those who applaud or excuse carnival grade offerings in a place that demands attractions commensurate with a world class attractions.

Why?
lol and that accomplishes what?
Does it make your views superior?
Does it make them like the ride less?
Does it make them all of a sudden not like Disney anymore?

Last edited:

EricPZ

If you don't care for the ride, don't ride it. That'll mean there's a shorter queue so my 3 yo, who loves the Saucers ride, to ride it multiple times.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Remember when Toy Story Land was announced, and it was promised to be as immersive as Cars Land?
Well, it's completely immersive in that you must walk into it to experience it...
Yeah, but tater tots make a great side dish. Not an entree.
...until you load them with chili, shredded pork, fried pickle slices and cheese.

KBLovedDisney

Well, it's completely immersive in that you must walk into it to experience it...

...until you load them with chili, shredded pork, fried pickle slices and cheese.
You can stop making me want bad food now!
Stella-hungry.gif

Geezus, that actually made me drool a little bit...

geekza

I don't think the ride, in and of itself, is a "bad ride." The local park near me has an old Whip, similar to the Saucers, and my son and I always have a great time on it. What Disney has done a good job with in the past, though, is taking a ride that may be "off-the-shelf" and plussing it to give it the Disney Difference. Dumbo is a spinner, but the theming of it and the attention taken in creating the vehicles makes it special. The Tea Cups are the same way and include the giant teapot with the dormouse who pops up. The details make the difference. In the case of the Swirling Saucers, it feels like they stopped short of making it a great Disney experience. The queue isn't bad, but the ride itself needed some more atmosphere to elevate it above its mechanics. The thing that gets brought up the most is the fact that they made a big deal of being "chosen by the claw," yet there's nothing there to support that. What could have been done? How about enclosing the ride building in plexiglass or some other material to make it look like a claw machine. (That would also allow for air conditioning.) How about having a claw that moves on a track above the riders, occasionally opening and closing. As it is, the ride is just okay. Disney has the capability and history of going the extra step that has made even their rather basic rides rise above the fray and provide an experience that you don't get with a similar, non-themed ride at another park. With Toy Story Land, it feels like they were forced to cut back on a lot of things and it shows.

KBLovedDisney

How about enclosing the ride building in plexiglass or some other material to make it look like a claw machine. (That would also allow for air conditioning.) How about having a claw that moves on a track above the riders, occasionally opening and closing. As it is, the ride is just okay. Disney has the capability and history of going the extra step that has made even their rather basic rides rise above the fray and provide an experience that you don't get with a similar, non-themed ride at another park. With Toy Story Land, it feels like they were forced to cut back on a lot of things and it shows.
^^^ This!

eliza61nyc

I've learned in my time here that those of us who know what Disney is capable of and complain when something doesn't meet those standards tend to be shouted down by those who say, "It's fine. Stop comparing things to the way they used to be. The world has moved on. If you don't like it, go somewhere else for vacation."

So let me say that when I say that, I do not mean to shout anyone down or not let anyone express their complaints.
for me it's not about being "fine" with anything, but more the fact of what will comparing it to the late great yesteryear get you?

let me ask, what are your alternatives? The reality is TSL is the caliber of what Disney is offering. now I know most folks say that when they go they have a good time, but I'll admit I'm a skeptic simply because no one ever talks about their "good" times. maybe it's easier to complain than to praise, I don't know. All those things you mentioned about the claw machine are absolutely true and sound great but not gonna happen. not a one. they are not going to cover it, they are not going to a/c it.

I totally believe you guys when you say you know what Disney is capable, lol, I work in the research and development industry. we have a lot of ideas on "paper" but the company really only cares about is what we are able to get into production and sell. with the most profit margin.
Most people aren't spending 1000's of dollars for what they could have "possible" have gotten, they are shelling out money for what they have in reality.

I 1000% agree with you, Disney has the CAPABILITY to provide a better experience, but I don't think you guys want to accept that Disney is NOT going to do it. They have no incentive to do it.

And again, I am not saying "don't go" to be flippant and I know it's not my job to try and "fix" anyone's vacation, again, this is just me. If I'm going on vacation spending hard earned dollars and more importantly sacred time off and the only thing I can post is complaints, no matter if it's Disney, Detroit or Denmark, I'm rethinking the next trip.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

So let me say that when I say that, I do not mean to shout anyone down or not let anyone express their complaints.
for me it's not about being "fine" with anything, but more the fact of what will comparing it to the late great yesteryear get you?

let me ask, what are your alternatives? The reality is TSL is the caliber of what Disney is offering. now I know most folks say that when they go they have a good time, but I'll admit I'm a skeptic simply because no one ever talks about their "good" times. maybe it's easier to complain than to praise, I don't know. All those things you mentioned about the claw machine are absolutely true and sound great but not gonna happen. not a one. they are not going to cover it, they are not going to a/c it.

I totally believe you guys when you say you know what Disney is capable, lol, I work in the research and development industry. we have a lot of ideas on "paper" but the company really only cares about is what we are able to get into production and sell. with the most profit margin.
Most people aren't spending 1000's of dollars for what they could have "possible" have gotten, they are shelling out money for what they have in reality.

I 1000% agree with you, Disney has the CAPABILITY to provide a better experience, but I don't think you guys want to accept that Disney is NOT going to do it. They have no incentive to do it.

And again, I am not saying "don't go" to be flippant and I know it's not my job to try and "fix" anyone's vacation, again, this is just me. If I'm going on vacation spending hard earned dollars and more importantly sacred time off and the only thing I can post is complaints, no matter if it's Disney, Detroit or Denmark, I'm rethinking the next trip.
But how is people not going because of a percieved lack of quality helping Disney?

geekza

Let me start by saying that my critical comments are definitely not aimed at you. I enjoy your comments and truly think that they are from a thoughtful and informed point of view.

My counter-argument is that guests should not be fine with accepting mediocrity from a company that is swimming in money and constantly charging more for what they are providing. You are correct that "good enough" is the Disney way at the moment, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't complain when they do it. You can either sit back and say, "It is what it is," or you can voice your concerns and try and get others, who may not have experience with Disney at its best, to expect better as well. Will it cause change overnight? Of course not. However, a small fire has the potential to grow, while never lighting a match will always leave you cold. I am choosing to go to WDW because, on the whole, there is much of the "great Disney" still in existence at WDW to bring me joy. Now, they aren't going to get any extra money from me for things that I don't feel are of any value and, if something is downright broken, wrong, or lazy, I will absolutely complain. I'll be courteous when I do it, because the problems are not the fault of the front-line cast members, but I'll be specific and put it in writing. If enough people are willing to do that, it will make a difference. If people are apathetic and feel that "good enough" is just fine with them, then it won't, but at least I will have made an effort. For what we are paying and the huge profits that Disney is making from the theme parks, people should expect more than just okay.

Shouldigo12

Let me start by saying that my critical comments are definitely not aimed at you. I enjoy your comments and truly think that they are from a thoughtful and informed point of view.

My counter-argument is that guests should not be fine with accepting mediocrity from a company that is swimming in money and constantly charging more for what they are providing. You are correct that "good enough" is the Disney way at the moment, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't complain when they do it. You can either sit back and say, "It is what it is," or you can voice your concerns and try and get others, who may not have experience with Disney at its best, to expect better as well. Will it cause change overnight? Of course not. However, a small fire has the potential to grow, while never lighting a match will always leave you cold. I am choosing to go to WDW because, on the whole, there is much of the "great Disney" still in existence at WDW to bring me joy. Now, they aren't going to get any extra money from me for things that I don't feel are of any value and, if something is downright broken, wrong, or lazy, I will absolutely complain. I'll be courteous when I do it, because the problems are not the fault of the front-line cast members, but I'll be specific and put it in writing. If enough people are willing to do that, it will make a difference. If people are apathetic and feel that "good enough" is just fine with them, then it won't, but at least I will have made an effort. For what we are paying and the huge profits that Disney is making from the theme parks, people should expect more than just okay.

I think the issue is, people don't realize that what Disney is putting out for TSL is mediocre compared to past efforts. Your average park-goer is not well versed on the history of Disney parks attractions. I mean, a mediocre Disney ride is still a pretty good ride by regular theme park standards. I think thats why expecting other customers to be upset by the new additions and complain about them is useless. They won't complain, because to them it's nothing more than another fun ride and they're happy to ride it. And Disney probably knows that.

eliza61nyc

But how is people not going because of a percieved lack of quality helping Disney?

First, full disclaimer: I have absolutely NO insider information on anything the mouse world does, I'm a stockholder only because it helped my retirement portfolion. I KNOW nothing, lol these are the ramblings of my brain.

I think unfortunately huge mega companies only care about the bottom line. profit. I think they react to public perception and any thing that might possible hurt their brand but overall unless the complaints starting going viral, I really don't think Mickey gives a rats you know what, about the quality. excuse the pun.

I think Disney has a great marketing machine that convinces a lot of folks that they are somehow unfit parents if they don't get the little minions to the mouseworld some time during their childhood. and not only that, they excel at making you believe that you never have to leave once you go under those arches.

I think Disney recognizes it does not have to have some great A ticket ride at all.

Right now, the parks are pact and Chef and geeza are absolutely right, they keep offering mediocre products that folks are buying.
I just got back yesterday, last Saturday for a brief moment I considered doing the dessert party to celebrate one of my nieces turning 21. Everyone we called was sold out with a waiting list. So the reality is no matter how much we complain that it is an inferior money grab, as long as there is a waiting list to get in, it will continue to be.

Now, I'm excited about Star wars land since it was one of my favorite movies. Do I expect an awesome ride? absolutely not, I think we'll get 1 ride along the FOP caliber and that's it. I haven't followed the rumors or updates on it so again no insider information. I think the hard core star war fans and the disney of old fan will be bitterly disappointed and I think it will be packed to the rafters for quite a while after it opens.

And I think that until something happens to hurt their bottom line, this is the trajectory they will follow.

geekza

And I think that until something happens to hurt their bottom line, this is the trajectory they will follow.
You are correct, which is why it's important for people to be made aware that things used to be different and that should expect a certain level of benefit for their capital outlay. If people choose to continue to throw money at silly things that aren't worth what they're paying, then that's fine. There's nothing wrong with making people aware that they're getting less for more money, though. I'm not going to shame someone for paying for something I think is silly, because that's rude. I do see value, however, in offering insight from my personal past experience.

aw14

We had a blast on Alien, and went on it twice. For us, we except every ride for what they are. When you are in the que, you know what you are getting. We felt the theming and overall experience was fun.

Its not earth shattering in any way, but fun nonetheless

jaklgreen

For what it's worth, I was a bit underwhelmed by the Mater ride in DCA . . . till I actually rode it. I really enjoyed it, and look forward to enjoying the Saucers as well.

This was our experience as well. It does not look like much but my daughter and I laughed and had a great time on it. I think we need to understand that not every ride is geared toward adults. This is obviously a toddler ride. While I have not been on the saucers yet(I go in a few weeks), if they are like Mater's then I think they will be fun. I would suggest people look around and watch the reaction of the little kids that ride it. If they enjoy it then the ride is a success. But there is no excuse for paint chipping.

lostpro9het

I think the same criticism can be made with Pandora and the Navi river ride. That was as lame as you can get. I waited for over 2 hours for a slow boat right that didn't offer anything
Yes but if you had invested in black lights and fluorescent paint just think how happy youd be right now!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom